Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite

I am sorry if this question is too basic, but I can't find a clear answer.

I am travelling EWR-ZRH-TLV in business class together with my wife and baby. (The first segment on UA, the second on LX)

I purchased my ticket with UA miles and the baby is on my ticket. I purchased my wife's ticket with US miles.

I know that each of us gets three bags because we are flying business class.

Questions
  1. Do I get an extra bag for my *G status?
  2. If yes, how about my wife, travelling with me but on a different ticket?
  3. I was told that I can check a stroller free for the baby, would that be even if I have a second stroller that I am using to get him through the airport and gate checking?

Thanks,
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:45 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
1 + 2) No, you get 3 bags for each person outbound. You can't stack baggage allowance.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1 & 2 - You and your wife each get 3 bags. You get the highest allowance for fare class or status, but can't add them together.
3. Technically you don't get to check and gate check two strollers, but you may be able to pull it off. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish with two strollers. Rather than checking one as baggage at the counter, wheel it to the gate and it should be gate-checked and returned to you and then gate-checked again xZRH.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
My goal with the two strollers is that someone asked me to bring a stroller for a relative, but I need one to use for myself

I forgot to add in my original post that I have UA Mileage Plus Explorer card that is also supposed to have a free bag benefit. Based on the responses above, I guess it does not apply here. Correct?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:17 am

Baggage Allowance Questions

Yes, united explorer only gets first bag free. If everyone on the flight gets 1 free bag anyway, you won't get the 2nd bag free.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
If I've got this right, there are three of you, you will be checking three bags each (or two of you plus one lap child, making 6 bags total), plus gate checking two strollers, but there's only one passenger for whom the stroller is applicable because the second is for someone not on the flight?

You should be charged for that second stroller. You quite likely will not be, but by all means, you should. As others have pointed out, the bag perks aren't additive; three is the absolute limit for free checked bags, period. Gate checking a stroller is something United does to accommodate families traveling with kids, not a freebie that's intended to "export" strollers.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Sep 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm Reason: Confusion about number of tickets/number of bags
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:25 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you want to check more than 6 bags?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Basic rule is that you get the most bags allowed under any scenario and they are not cumulative. Explorer is only valuable in situations where you have a 0 baggage allowance because it gets you 1 free.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
not sure if i'm more impressed that OP actually owns six bags or that he wants to check them all.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Basic rule is that you get the most bags allowed under any scenario and they are not cumulative. Explorer is only valuable in situations where you have a 0 baggage allowance because it gets you 1 free.
I simply tell people that 3 bags at 70 lbs is the max for free, being a1k (I think GS is also 3 and not 4) or a *G with UA gets 3 bags, or having a 1st or Biz tkt

Everything else that exists that offers free bags is usually for the 1st bag (in 1 CCs case the 2nd bag as well) but as others have said it s not cumlative and since OP you are getting 3 free you reached your Max.

Now OP note if you are returning the same way you will get Only what LX allows if I remember correctly its 2 bags and not 3 or it was 3 but max of 50 lbs and not 70lbs, but it wasnt as generous as UAs policy. So LX will most likely be dinging you for baggage fees

Originally Posted by ddrost1
not sure if i'm more impressed that OP actually owns six bags or that he wants to check them all.
you'er assuming that all 6 are his, with TLV as the destination I wouldnt assumne that. And depending when they are flying and how long they are staying (around this time of yr I know numerous people going over for close to a full month)6 bags can be theres besides clothes and gifts it can be filled with meat for the upcoming Holidays

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 10, 2012 at 9:19 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
I simply tell people that 3 bags at 70 lbs is the max for free, being a1k (I think GS is also 3 and not 4) or a *G with UA gets 3 bags, or having a 1st or Biz tkt

Everything else that exists that offers free bags is usually for the 1st bag (in 1 CCs case the 2nd bag as well) but as others have said it s not cumlative and since OP you are getting 3 free you reached your Max.

Now OP note if you are returning the same way you will get Only what LX allows if I remember correctly its 2 bags and not 3 or it was 3 but max of 50 lbs and not 70lbs, but it wasnt as generous as UAs policy. So LX will most likely be dinging you for baggage fees

you'er assuming that all 6 are his, with TLV as the destination I wouldnt assumne that. And depending when they are flying and how long they are staying (around this time of yr I know numerous people going over for close to a full month)6 bags can be theres besides clothes and gifts it can be filled with meat for the upcoming Holidays
Sorry, but no longer the case on itineraries originating or terminating in the USA. Dept. of Transportation rules specify that the baggage allowance for the originating segment prevails as the minimum throughout the itinerary. If OP's allowance on his outbound EWR-ZRH is 3 bags, he gets at least 3 bags all the way out and back.

All neat and simple and gets rid of the complex IATA 302 / MCT jibberish.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
So if I have a C class tkt (2 bags) + am *G w UA (3 bags) + have an explorer card (1bag) & am *G again w SQ (3 bags), are you all saying I don't get to check 9 bags free
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
So if I have a C class tkt (2 bags) + am *G w UA (3 bags) + have an explorer card (1bag) & am *G again w SQ (3 bags), are you all saying I don't get to check 9 bags free
No, but you are eligible for free classes in learning how to pack for travel !
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Sorry, but no longer the case on itineraries originating or terminating in the USA. Dept. of Transportation rules specify that the baggage allowance for the originating segment prevails as the minimum throughout the itinerary. If OP's allowance on his outbound EWR-ZRH is 3 bags, he gets at least 3 bags all the way out and back.

All neat and simple and gets rid of the complex IATA 302 / MCT jibberish.
A Big problem is when you are flying say on LX and say out from TLV the LX workers are renta crew and not LX employyees resse. So those folks Unless they were brought up to date wont care 1 bit about anything but what they were told. You can stand on your head and juggle 5 balls it wont change their charging you. Could be once back here you can call LX or whomever and seek a refund or Dispute it but theres no telling how long it may take and if you will succeed. Id assume that will be the case world Wide where its rent a crews doing the work.

And yes Ive seen and heard many a person trying to convince the check-in agent that its wrong for them to be charging any Fees to them, and usually they are told You dont pay the bag doesnt go, if you think it should be free pay it here and then complain when you get back home.

At least with TLV TWA had its own Employees and not rent a crew and it made it much smoother sailing,imo. Someone who may be working 3+ flights a day with 3 airlines and 3 Alliances or none, wont be able to keep track of what the T&Cs are for each
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:18 am

Programs: MR-Platinum, HH-Diamond, MileagePlus 1K, AAdvantage Gold
Baggage allowance on LH when connecting to UA?

I am flying Brussels to Frankfurt this evening, then overnight in Frankfurt before connecting to Chicago tomorrow morning. I want to bring back a good supply of Belgian beers with me, but I am trying to understand the baggage allowance.

It appears that inter-Europe LH flights use a weight allowance (business class allows me 30kg + 20 kg for Star Gold), and I am entitled to 3 bags up to 70lbs each with my United Premier Plat.

Since this is all on one PNR, does that mean I am entitled to the United allowance the entire flight? Or just for the FRA-ORD leg?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.