Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Baggage fee mixed award/paid

Hi everyone,

A 'simple' baggage fee question for the following flights for two GM:

3/23 AMS>EWR (Economy Paid)
4/3 JFK>SFO (Economy Paid, upgraded with my miles to Business)
4/8 ORD>AMS (Economy Paid)

The travel receipt shows the following:

AMS>EWR: 2 free bags/person @ 32kg
JFK>SFO: 2 free bags/person @ 32kg
ORD>AMS: 1 free bag/person @23kg

The one that is confusing me is the 'large' allowance for AMS>EWR. I called three different agents and got three different replies...

Would appreciate your thoughts on whether this is correct. I don't want the two travellers to have a nasty shock at check-in for AMS>EWR....

Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by rieuwa
3/23 AMS>EWR (Economy Paid)
4/3 JFK>SFO (Economy Paid, upgraded with my miles to Business)
4/8 ORD>AMS (Economy Paid)
Are the all booked in a single ticket (OJ) or not?

Originally Posted by dsquared37
This is not true; I've had 12 hour layovers where UA retained control of my bag. The key to OPs situation is the overnight connection and under this circumstance UA will kick your bag out of the system.
That was UA told me. I don't care it is true or not. But this was what exactly happened last time.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 16, 2013 at 4:48 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by garykung
Are the all booked in a single ticket (OJ) or not?
Yes they are! Single PNR.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by danM
From united.com (bolding mine):

Checked baggage service charges apply at any point where bags are checked. For a trip that includes one or more connections, bags will be checked to your final destination, and the charge for checking a bag from your origin to your destination will apply. For a trip that includes a voluntary stopover, your bags will be checked to your stopover point, where you will collect your bags. When you resume travel, subject to applicable charges, you may check your bags again from the new point of check-in to the destination.

So according the the posted policies, the double-charge was correct. I'm not saying it's right, just correct...

I'm guessing that the "international" tag is sticky and makes both legs non-domestic for this purpose. I'm guessing that the best you'll be able to do is to get it down to $105.
That same quote says that flights including a connection (like OP's) will have bags checked from origin to destination and the charge will be from origin to destination (as opposed to what happened to OP, which is origin to connection and again connection to destination)
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by rieuwa
Yes they are! Single PNR.
2x70lb is the allowance.

P.S. Business is the one boosted up the allowance.

(Edited to reflect correct information)

Last edited by garykung; Mar 17, 2013 at 4:56 am Reason: Reflect correct information
Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:35 pm

3x70lb is the allowance.

Thanks garykung. That's what I thought, but one of the agents insisted this was not the case... I will ensure the travellers bring a copy of the receipt.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3x70lb is the allowance.

I thought domestic C was now 2X70? Also, why should everything being on the same PNR change the allowance? If that were the case, shouldn't ORD-AMS also be the higher allowance, since that's presumably also the same PNR?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I thought domestic C was now 2X70? Also, why should everything being on the same PNR change the allowance? If that were the case, shouldn't ORD-AMS also be the higher allowance, since that's presumably also the same PNR?
1. My bad (and you are correct). I never thought UA will lower J class allowance. I doubled checked, and it is indeed 2x70lb.

2. It is in fact DOT's regulation - 1 allowance for the entire reservation. So in this case, P.S. boosts up.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:05 am

Thanks joshwex90. Yep, I entirely agree- that is exactly what led to my initial confusion!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2. It is in fact DOT's regulation - 1 allowance for the entire reservation. So in this case, P.S. boosts up.
So why is ORD-AMS listed as 1 x 23 instead of 2 X 32? That would be a mistake, correct? (Would also explain why my BA itinerary has everything at 2 X 23 instead of 1 X 23 because just one of my legs is in WT+)
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So why is ORD-AMS listed as 1 x 23 instead of 2 X 32? That would be a mistake, correct? (Would also explain why my BA itinerary has everything at 2 X 23 instead of 1 X 23 because just one of my legs is in WT+)
You are correct.

My take is on the system issue (the OJ segment was counted out).
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Baggage Fee Refund?

United's site is a little hazy on this, but here's my question.

When I checked in yesterday (~T-24), I was offered a UFC upsell to the F cabin. It was a bit much and the connecting flight that I wanted to be upgraded on was already full. (both legs on UA metal). So, I paid the $25 bag fee at OLCI.

This morning, I went to check the flight status since my first flight is to ORD, and saw that the upsell was half of what it was yesterday. Without thinking, I immediately paid for the upgrade.

Now, I realize that I didn't research this thoroughly before buying the upgrade, but will I get my bag fee refunded since I am now in the F cabin with F allowances? I have not flown any legs of my flight yet, and I have not physically checked my bag.

According to United's website:

If I upgrade to a premium cabin, will I be charged checked bag service charges?
Whether you pay a checked bag service charge depends on what your status was at the time you dropped off your bags. If at the time you checked in your bags you were in the United Economy cabin for seating, then you would be charged for checking a bag. If you change from United Economy to premium cabin status before you drop off your bags, then you do not pay the charge. There is no refund for a charge paid if you check your bags in while still holding the status of United Economy and then later upgrade to United First.
Since I have not checked my bag or flown any of the segments yet, would I qualify for a baggage fee refund under the section that says If you change from United Economy to premium cabin status before you drop off your bags, then you do not pay the charge.?

If so, is the refund automatic, or would I have to request it later?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I think you are out of luck regarding a refund since you already paid online. This is also in the baggage FAQs-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can I pay for my checked bag while checking in online for my flight? When checking in at united.com, you can input your credit card information to cover your checked bag service charges. Your card will be charged immediately for the number of bags you designate at the time you check in online. If required, you may change the number of checked bags at the airport; however, bag charges paid online will not be refunded.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Hmm, I missed that. Oh well.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by XCstud
I think you are out of luck regarding a refund since you already paid online. This is also in the baggage FAQs-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can I pay for my checked bag while checking in online for my flight? When checking in at united.com, you can input your credit card information to cover your checked bag service charges. Your card will be charged immediately for the number of bags you designate at the time you check in online. If required, you may change the number of checked bags at the airport; however, bag charges paid online will not be refunded.
Besides that any fees to be waviered has to be done when the bags are checked in or in this case the fees paid. I know its not the OPs case but if a person drops off their bag/s and has to pay the bag fee and then gets UPed into 1st or Biz, since at the time of the drop they were in Y there will be no Refund of the bag/s fees paid

Most fees assocaited with cabin or status is based on what you were at the time you paid the fees, and arent Refundable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.