Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by InOcean
Hi all, I'm really confused on my baggage allowance on my upcoming trip. Leave May 7: IDA-DEN (UA); DEN-FRA (LH), FRA-MRU (LH). Return Jun 2: MRU-FRA (LH), FRA-DEN (UA), DEN-IDA (UA).
My reservation on the united website states the following for my baggage allowance. I'm confused why I will have to pay $100 for my second checked bag on my return trip. I do have an overnight layover in FRA on my return trip if that's the reason?

First and second baggage service charges per traveler First bag Second bag Weight per bag
Sat, May 7, 2022
Idaho Falls, ID, US (IDA) to Mauritius, MU (MRU) $0 per person $0 per person (50lbs)

Thu, Jun 2, 2022
Mauritius, MU (MRU) to Idaho Falls, ID, US (IDA) $0 per person $100 per person (50lbs)
For you outbound departure, are you in economy to MRU? Do you have a Chase UA credit card? (with a bag allowance waiver?)

On the return. you first flight is LH operated, all in economy?

My first guess, assuming the above is true, is the outbound second bag is free due to a Chase card such as Infinite Card or Presidential Plus.
And on the return the second bag has a fee since you are not checking in with UA but rather LH which does not participate in the Chase credit bag fee waiver.

A second possibility is the outbound trip has premium cabin on a leg and the return does not.

With more information, a more definitive explanation can be provided.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:46 pm

Baggage allowance MRU-IDA

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For you outbound departure, are you in economy to MRU? Do you have a Chase UA credit card? (with a bag allowance waiver?)

On the return. you first flight is LH operated, all in economy?

My first guess, assuming the above is true, is the outbound second bag is free due to a Chase card such as Infinite Card or Presidential Plus.
And on the return the second bag has a fee since you are not checking in with UA but rather LH which does not participate in the Chase credit bag fee waiver.

A second possibility is the outbound trip has premium cabin on a leg and the return does not.

With more information, a more definitive explanation can be provided.
Thank you. Yes, all segments are in Economy. No, I don't have any Credit Card benefits with my trip.
What's more confusing is when I use the United website baggage calculator (http://www.united.com/en/us/baggage-...or/any-flights), for MRU-IDA it shows that I should have 2 checked bags free. So why would United say that I can only carry 1 checked bag for free on my reservation in their system? I did a chat online with United, and they were of absolutely no help, saying that they can only tell me what they see in their system (which is one checked bag free on the return flight).
I'm thinking it has to do with the layover in FRA. I have a 17 hour layover in FRA on my return trip. Is there some United rule saying that I only get 1/2 my baggage allowance if I have a layover more than 12 hours? I can't think of any other reason.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, the UA bag calculator does show IDA-MRU does show 2 bags for economy. There are a few destination where economy gets two bags and this appears to be one.
On the return LH normal bag allowance may only be one bag BUT per US DOT regulations, LH must provide you with the same as the outbound ticket bag allowance, two bags. The layover does not matter and receipt listing is wrong. The LH agents at MRU should administer that correctly.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Premier Gold flying international I get two bags (up to 70# each)

Can I get a discount allowance for a third bag traveling as Gold?

I cant figure out how much it will cost
Old Apr 15, 2023, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole

there is a tool for this: https://www.united.com/en/us/baggage...or/any-flights

while third bag+ charges don’t show by default, there is a link for ‘additional, overweight and oversized bags’, which will bring up those fees. No discount - just whatever that fee would be for anyone.

not sure if the fee amount varies by destination, but allowed bag amounts can. So without further information, hard to give the specifics you are asking for.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by caseminole

When traveling on UA flights, checking in with UA, UA Golds get 3 free bags
From the baggage calculator

Premier Gold members in Economy cabin

Check up to three bags at no charge

Baggage check-in must occur with United or United Express, and you must have valid MileagePlus Premier® Gold membership at time of check-in to qualify for waiver of service charges for up to three checked bags (within specified size and weight limits).
caseminole likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When traveling on UA flights, checking in with UA, UA Golds get 3 free bags
From the baggage calculator
Thanks much!

I did find a link that indicated on my itinerary that i get 2 bags free (up to 70# ) in Economy as a Gold, but only in the baggage calculator do i see anything about the 3rd bag. Thanks for confirming!
Old May 16, 2023, 3:44 am

LAX-SFO econ UA and SFO-LIS TAP... Is UA going to charge baggage fees??

Looking at doing an AC award from LAX to LIS using the n/s TAP SFO flight. Right now (and probably forever) there is no saver biz flights for LAX-SFO, but there is economy. If I start my journey on UA in economy to SFO, is UA going to charge me for checked bags at LAX even though TAP is *A member and i get 2 bags at 70lbs with that long-haul segment? I don't have any UA status. Seems US law allows the first MARKETING carrier to set the rules, and since the award will have a UA flight number for the econ segment, I assume the fact AC issued the ticket is of no consequence. So is UA going to jack me for fees, or will they honor the TAP allowance. And if they charge fees, will it be the cost to SFO, or they going to try and hit me up for what they charge for international flights to europe?
Old May 16, 2023, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RufussCkingston
Looking at doing an AC award from LAX to LIS using the n/s TAP SFO flight. Right now (and probably forever) there is no saver biz flights for LAX-SFO, but there is economy. If I start my journey on UA in economy to SFO, is UA going to charge me for checked bags at LAX even though TAP is *A member and i get 2 bags at 70lbs with that long-haul segment? I don't have any UA status. Seems US law allows the first MARKETING carrier to set the rules, and since the award will have a UA flight number for the econ segment, I assume the fact AC issued the ticket is of no consequence. So is UA going to jack me for fees, or will they honor the TAP allowance. And if they charge fees, will it be the cost to SFO, or they going to try and hit me up for what they charge for international flights to europe?
US regulations do not cover mixed-cabin baggage fees in any coherent way. In practice, UA will use its business class allowance in these situations, but if they changed that behavior tomorrow, I couldn’t point to anything on the website where they made any promises.

Your baggage allowance should be printed on your receipt.

I think the only realistic options are the business class allowance to Europe (most likely) or the domestic coach allowance. The coach allowance to Europe isn’t on the table.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.