Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:05 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
i am a premier platinum and for the first time in a long time i may check a bag

016 ticket with every leg a ua flight number

travelling
sa: cpt-jnb-lhr ua: lhr-iah-yyc-iah-iad sa: iad-jnb-((overnight))-cpt

1) ticket and bag calculator says out of cpt i'm only entitled 3x 50lb bags. is this true? i thought with msc if it involves usa and has us airline flight numbers then i'm entitled that us airline's bag allowance (which for plat is 3x 70lb bags)
2) the jnb-cpt leg is 16 hours after arrival from iad, will sa allow me to re-check 3x 70lb bags? i am using the bag calculator which says yas to the weight but under 3rd bag charge it says $200 (...?)....yet for the iah-iad leg it says $0 for 3rd bag

ugh
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cur
i am a premier platinum and for the first time in a long time i may check a bag

016 ticket with every leg a ua flight number ...
of no importance, all that matters is who is the flight operator.

Originally Posted by cur
travelling
sa: cpt-jnb-lhr ua: lhr-iah-yyc-iah-iad sa: iad-jnb-((overnight))-cpt

1) ticket and bag calculator says out of cpt i'm only entitled 3x 50lb bags. is this true? i thought with msc if it involves usa and has us airline flight numbers then i'm entitled that us airline's bag allowance (which for plat is 3x 70lb bags) ...
UA specific elite benefits are not part of MSC (or USA DoT rules)

Originally Posted by cur
2) the jnb-cpt leg is 16 hours after arrival from iad, will sa allow me to re-check 3x 70lb bags? i am using the bag calculator which says yas to the weight but under 3rd bag charge it says $200 (...?)....yet for the iah-iad leg it says $0 for 3rd bag ...
SA will give their *A *G benefit, not UA's elite / plat benefit.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Some flyers get extra bag and weight allowances (resulting in waiver of normal fees) at UNITED counters only. At other counters, normal United fees may apply, adjusted by any *G benefits.

The provision for some fee waivers occurring ONLY at United counters is clearly spelt out in the baggage info.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:34 am
cur

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
of no importance, all that matters is who is the flight operator.

UA specific elite benefits are not part of MSC (or USA DoT rules)

SA will give their *A *G benefit, not UA's elite / plat benefit.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Some flyers get extra bag and weight allowances (resulting in waiver of normal fees) at UNITED counters only. At other counters, normal United fees may apply, adjusted by any *G benefits.

The provision for some fee waivers occurring ONLY at United counters is clearly spelt out in the baggage info.
then why does my ticket indicate the following? note that *a gold for saa is 1 additional piece at 50lbs (for a total of 3x 50lbs)

it's a long cnx, not a stopover....
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: TK Elite
Should tickets reflect *G baggage allowance?

Hi, there,

I was wondering if somebody could help me. It's my first time traveling as a *G on United. I have Turkish Elite status. I entered the number on United's website while booking a LAX-PHX flight (selected Turkish from box and entered number without TK prefix). I do not know if *G status is supposed to be reflected on the ticket or not. United clearly recognizes the number but it doesn't say TK*G.

My baggage allowance shown there doesn't reflect *G as it lists charges for the first bag. My understanding is that *G should mean first bag fee ought to be waived. I have the the *G card with me. Does showing that do anything or should I just expect to be told that the computer doesn't say waived and that's the end of the conversation?

I'll be coming from TPE on Eva and connecting to LAX-PHX on United on a separate ticket.

I would appreciate input!

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:10 am
cur

Originally Posted by Gobus
Hi, there,

I was wondering if somebody could help me. It's my first time traveling as a *G on United. I have Turkish Elite status. I entered the number on United's website while booking a LAX-PHX flight (selected Turkish from box and entered number without TK prefix). I do not know if *G status is supposed to be reflected on the ticket or not. United clearly recognizes the number but it doesn't say TK*G.

My baggage allowance shown there doesn't reflect *G as it lists charges for the first bag. My understanding is that *G should mean first bag fee ought to be waived. I have the the *G card with me. Does showing that do anything or should I just expect to be told that the computer doesn't say waived and that's the end of the conversation?

I'll be coming from TPE on Eva and connecting to LAX-PHX on United on a separate ticket.

I would appreciate input!

Thanks!
for whatever reason your res isn't showing *g. i don't think it will til you check in.

this is more accurate
go to "any flight"
punch in your details
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx

first bag free
second bag $35
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by cur
for whatever reason your res isn't showing *g. i don't think it will til you check in.

this is more accurate
go to "any flight"
punch in your details
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx

first bag free
second bag $35
Did you mean checkin online, or wait till I get to the airport and check in from there? (This is a stupid question - but I need a live person to perform a waiver, correct? If they herd me towards automated terminals, that wouldn't help me I assume.?)

The link with the generic status information being fed in says first bag would be free as expected. I can reliably expect that in person? (Sorry, I've had horrible experiences in the past with airline employees blaming the "computer" and making me pay for things...)
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:13 am
cur

Did you mean checkin online, or wait till I get to the airport and check in from there? (This is a stupid question - but I need a live person to perform a waiver, correct? If they herd me towards automated terminals, that wouldn't help me I assume.?)

The link with the generic status information being fed in says first bag would be free as expected. I can reliably expect that in person? (Sorry, I've had horrible experiences in the past with airline employees blaming the "computer" and making me pay for things...)
you're over thinking this

check in thru the app or online 24 hrs before. on the app and online it should reflect *g/1st bag free

regardless at the airport go to the kiosks at the premier check in area and it should reflect 1st bag free

if not find a human and the human will fix it
have *gold card ready
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by cur
you're over thinking this

check in thru the app or online 24 hrs before. on the app and online it should reflect *g/1st bag free

regardless at the airport go to the kiosks at the premier check in area and it should reflect 1st bag free

if not find a human and the human will fix it
have *gold card ready
I will. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:04 am
cur

I will. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it!
enjoy phx, assuming you're a lizard and like arizona summer heat
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cur
then why does my ticket indicate the following? note that *a gold for saa is 1 additional piece at 50lbs (for a total of 3x 50lbs)

it's a long cnx, not a stopover....
And right under that screen capture you provided, it says "Baggage check-in must occur with United or United Express, and you must have valid MileagePlus PremierŪ 1KŪ membership at time of check-in to qualify for waiver of service charges for up to three checked bags (within specified size and weight limits)." (1K refers to my status - replace w/ yours).

$0 and 70lb allowance is a waiver of normal bag and >50lb weight charges when you check in at a United counter. If you present your bag(s) for a check-in at a non-UA counter, NORMAL United bag charges may apply, even if the flight is a UA codeshare and is operated by another airline. *G benefits may provide bag benefits at a non-United counter, but United status (in itself) does not.

If it's a connection and bags can be checked thru by EWR, then hiopefully you won't even have to deal with bag check in JNB

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 17, 2016 at 10:24 am
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:08 pm
cur

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If it's a connection and bags can be checked thru by EWR, then hiopefully you won't even have to deal with bag check in JNB
all pax in jnb must pick up then re-drop. i have a 16hr cnx so i will be re-checking in.

thanks for the info, 3x 50 it is.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:09 am

*g does nothing?

Hoping the wisdom here can help me unravel something. I've got the following flight coming up (all UA ticket) connections w/o stops:
ESB-MUC UA Flight # operated by LH
MUC-IAD UA Flight # operated by UA
IAD-BOS UA Flight # operated by UA

I am UA-Gold/*G (which shows on the res)

For luggage, it's showing me 1st bag $0 and 2nd bag $100. How can this be correct?
Attached Images  
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jspeaks
Hoping the wisdom here can help me unravel something. I've got the following flight coming up (all UA ticket) connections w/o stops:
ESB-MUC UA Flight # operated by LH
MUC-IAD UA Flight # operated by UA
IAD-BOS UA Flight # operated by UA

I am UA-Gold/*G (which shows on the res)

For luggage, it's showing me 1st bag $0 and 2nd bag $100. How can this be correct?
Its a mistake. The rules of the Most Significant Carrier (MSC) usually apply. Since your longest segment is on UA, UA's rules should apply. Do you have any status on UA?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:50 am

Yes, both my wife and I (both on the same PNR) are UA Gold.

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Its a mistake. The rules of the Most Significant Carrier (MSC) usually apply. Since your longest segment is on UA, UA's rules should apply. Do you have any status on UA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.