FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:46 pm
InOcean

Baggage allowance MRU-IDA

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For you outbound departure, are you in economy to MRU? Do you have a Chase UA credit card? (with a bag allowance waiver?)

On the return. you first flight is LH operated, all in economy?

My first guess, assuming the above is true, is the outbound second bag is free due to a Chase card such as Infinite Card or Presidential Plus.
And on the return the second bag has a fee since you are not checking in with UA but rather LH which does not participate in the Chase credit bag fee waiver.

A second possibility is the outbound trip has premium cabin on a leg and the return does not.

With more information, a more definitive explanation can be provided.
Thank you. Yes, all segments are in Economy. No, I don't have any Credit Card benefits with my trip.
What's more confusing is when I use the United website baggage calculator (http://www.united.com/en/us/baggage-...or/any-flights), for MRU-IDA it shows that I should have 2 checked bags free. So why would United say that I can only carry 1 checked bag for free on my reservation in their system? I did a chat online with United, and they were of absolutely no help, saying that they can only tell me what they see in their system (which is one checked bag free on the return flight).
I'm thinking it has to do with the layover in FRA. I have a 17 hour layover in FRA on my return trip. Is there some United rule saying that I only get 1/2 my baggage allowance if I have a layover more than 12 hours? I can't think of any other reason.