Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by washeelers747
I got an aeroplan-ticketed award trip, and will fly F with TG and NH first then Y on ORD-PIT UA flight. I know that I have to drop off bag again once i clear US Customs, so United shouldn't charge me baggage fee? I doubt so but want to be sure.
your bag (if on one ticket) should be checked (and tagged) thru to your final destination, so you’ll just be handing it off at bag drop post-customs instead of checking it in again.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BAEC Silver
Quick question. I have an all UA operated/marketed itinerary in business, LHR -YVR (connecting in the US), and I'm a Premier Gold. I should get 3 bags at 70 lbs, which is what the calculator says when I plug in the flight details into the "any flights section". However the "My flights section" says:

"Third and Fourth bags

up to 62.0 linear inches (157 cm)
and 70.0 lbs (32 kgs)
$0 USD per bag"

Surely that's a mistake?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:06 am

I'm connecting international *A to domestic (UA) on separate PNRs. If I can manage getting my bags tagged all the way through, will I be in the clear or am I setting myself up to have my bags lost for not paying the domestic leg bag fees? Forgot to add that my check-in time at the origin would be more than 24hrs before the domestic leg.

Last edited by karter8; Mar 22, 2018 at 12:15 am Reason: more info
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by karter8
I'm connecting international *A to domestic (UA) on separate PNRs. If I can manage getting my bags tagged all the way through, will I be in the clear or am I setting myself up to have my bags lost for not paying the domestic leg bag fees? Forgot to add that my check-in time at the origin would be more than 24hrs before the domestic leg.
You'll be required to claim your bags at the US entry point regardless and then drop them off with UA so I don't see how you can avoid UA getting their bag fees.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by karter8
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You'll be required to claim your bags at the US entry point regardless and then drop them off with UA so I don't see how you can avoid UA getting their bag fees.
If the *A carrier is willing to check your bags to your final destination (potentially a BIG IF given the long connection), then there will be no UA bag fees when you recheck your bags.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Thanks. I wasn't sure if having my destination already on the tags would allow me to simply drop off the bags at the transfer desk after clearing customs.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If the *A carrier is willing to check your bags to your final destination (potentially a BIG IF given the long connection), then there will be no UA bag fees when you recheck your bags.
It's only a 4-hour layover once I land in the US. I'm flying back from India, so this extra connection is the price I have to pay to snagging a cheap fare in J. It's going to be a very long day
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Quick question! Thank you in advanced!

Flying ORD-LAX to help a friend move. I understand that as a 1K, I get 3 bags with each at 70 pounds. The friend is booked under the same PNR as me. Does she get 2 bags at 70 pounds each or 3 bags at 70 pounds each for a grand total of 5 or 6 bags?

Other than staying with maximum dimensions and under the weight, anything else I should know about checking in this massive amount of baggage?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Quick question! Thank you in advanced!

Flying ORD-LAX to help a friend move. I understand that as a 1K, I get 3 bags with each at 70 pounds. The friend is booked under the same PNR as me. Does she get 2 bags at 70 pounds each or 3 bags at 70 pounds each for a grand total of 5 or 6 bags?

Other than staying with maximum dimensions and under the weight, anything else I should know about checking in this massive amount of baggage?
Everyone on the PNR will get the same baggage allowance. You'll get 6 bags total at 70 pounds each.

The biggest issue with handling that amount of luggage is dragging it to the counter and then from baggage claim. The agents won't even blink. You'd be amazed how much luggage goes on some flights.

ETA: Come to think of it -- look for something called a balikbayan* box bag/cover. Here's an example from Amazon, but it's priced about 5x what I'd consider reasonable:
Amazon Amazon

These are built to allow you to carry a 20x20x20 box, so they fit in just under the maximum size allowances.

* Filipino word meaning "returning resident"
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
.... Other than staying with maximum dimensions and under the weight, anything else I should know about checking in this massive amount of baggage?
Originally Posted by jsloan
.... The biggest issue with handling that amount of luggage is dragging it to the counter and then from baggage claim. T ....
Get to/from the airport with this much luggage is a real pain, most car / taxis / uber/ lyft / .... will not have space for 6 29" inch bags and some carry on and a few people.

And yes I have done it with a family of four.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
What is baggage allowance on a frequent flyer award ticket RT in Economy Class from ORD to FRA from Dec 5-15? Is it still free for international flights?

Is free baggage also provided for a purchased international economy seat?

Is UA changing this policy anytime soon?

Last edited by Jwerking; Jul 7, 2018 at 2:35 pm Reason: error
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jwerking
What is baggage allowance on a frequent flyer award ticket RT in Economy Class from ORD to FRA from Dec 5-15? Is it still free for international flights? …
What carrier?
UA provides a single bag allowance on UA operated economy award tickets.
Partners are generally the same but there are hints this is under consideration by some partners.

Generally the ticket conditions at purchase will apply for a future travel date.
(Mileage earning rules do change without notice and post purchase)

Is free baggage also provided for a purchased international economy seat? …
UA has a introduced a no bag paid fare for TATL but that has not change the award ticket bag allowance
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed
But there is the option to buy (for less than the bag fee) a fare that includes a bag

Is UA changing this policy anytime soon?
Airlines tend not to preannounce changes.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 7, 2018 at 4:17 pm Reason: Mileage earning caveat
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What carrier?
UA provides a single bag allowance on UA operated economy award tickets.
Partners are generally the same but there are hints this is under consideration by some partners.

Generally the ticket conditions at purchase will apply for a future travel date.
(Mileage earning rules do change without notice and post purchase)

UA has a introduced a no bag paid fare for TATL but that has not change the award ticket bag allowance
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed
But there is the option to buy (for less than the bag fee) a fare that includes a bag
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I am referring to UA award tickets. The whole bag allowance policy is confusing these days with the introduction of "light economy fares" - so I assume that you cannot even take a small carry-on suitcase if this fare is purchased for international flights. Honestly, how stupid, who travels internationally with the clothes only on their back.

So to re-iterate UA's bag allowance on economy award ticket for flyers, without UA elite status or their credit card is:

International flights - includes 1 free bag

Domestic flights - no free bag (is that correct?)

I am AA platinum and they changed their baggage policy with their partner Alaska Air starting in Dec 2017. When we went to HI this winter, we had to pay for baggage for AS award seats - which we never had to do previously - real bummer. Apparently AA and AS have dissolved their close relationship, as few AS flights even show up as AA award flights anymore. Ah, it was a nice option to have.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:54 pm

So to re-iterate UA's bag allowance on economy award ticket for flyers, without UA elite status or their credit card is:

International flights - includes 1 free bag

Domestic flights - no free bag (is that correct?) ...
Mostly correct -- a few routes; Brazil, China, ... are two included bags
And Domestic & North America are 0 bags
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Flying LHR to LAX in Dec on a basic economy ticket. I know that this fare does not include checked baggage free and I am expecting to pay to check 1 bag, possibly 2. My question is - is the hand baggage allowance 1 cabin bag and a personal item or just 1 cabin bag?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.