Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TheMiz
I am planing a trip to to Denmark

Leaving on United out of CLE change planes in IAD from there we are on
SAS to CPH

Question is , do we have to pay for luggage ? Website says " Luggage Fees
May Apply"
You should get at least 1 bag (50 lbs) for no additional fees ( $0 ). Depending on cabin, status, .... you might get more.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You should get at least 1 bag (50 lbs) for no additional fees ( $0 ). Depending on cabin, status, .... you might get more.

Thanks for the reply
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:47 pm

Me again , sorry

help me understand the " NO ADDITIONAL FEES"

Maybe I phrased my question incorrectly

Are there any fees for luggage when flying United Airlines out of CLE ( Ohio ) change planes in IAD ( Washington DC ) from there we fly to Copenhagen on
SAS airlines to CPH ( Denmark )
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheMiz

help me understand the " NO ADDITIONAL FEES"

Are there any fees for luggage when flying United Airlines out of CLE ( Ohio ) change planes in IAD ( Washington DC ) from there we fly to Copenhagen on
SAS airlines to CPH ( Denmark )
One bag is free, as noted above. You will be charged for a second bag.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Originally Posted by jp12687
..\I know i get 3 bags @ 70lbs each-- does she also get 3 bags @ 70lbs being on my PNR?..
Yes...
Is this still true after the revise baggage rules? The United website and the baggage calculator are entirely quiet on the subject of the companion's allowance.

In my case, I am returning US-SIN in coach, with me Plat and the companion Star Silver.

The calculator thinks we are eligible for 4 bags total, 70lb each which makes no sense. Wiithout companion privileges, it should be 3x70lb+1x50lb and with, it should be 6x70lb.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by weero
Is this still true after the revise baggage rules? The United website and the baggage calculator are entirely quiet on the subject of the companion's allowance.

In my case, I am returning US-SIN in coach, with me Plat and the companion Star Silver.

The calculator thinks we are eligible for 4 bags total, 70lb each which makes no sense. Wiithout companion privileges, it should be 3x70lb+1x50lb and with, it should be 6x70lb.
It's sort of hard to find: "When traveling on an award ticket for United- and United Express®-operated flights, benefits including but not limited to complimentary Economy Plus seating, Premier priority travel services (such as Premier Access check-in and priority boarding), and checked baggage service charge waivers are determined by the traveler's own Premier status, even if another member's miles were used to purchase the award ticket. Customers traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member may receive the applicable companion benefits. Please visit the pages relating to specific Premier benefits for more information"

You get 3x70 and so does she. Bag calculator isn't very good.

For example, screenshot below says "1st bag $0", "2nd bag $0". Why it doesn't display "3rd bag $0" to reflect what yellow box says, I don't know. It can't be that hard to code.
Attached Images  

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 18, 2016 at 11:20 am
Old Nov 18, 2016, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
..Customers traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member may receive the applicable companion benefits. Please visit the pages relating to specific Premier benefits for more information"
Emphasis mine - the may had me worried for a while.
You get 3x70 and so does she. Bag calculator isn't very good.

For example, screenshot below says "1st bag $0", "2nd bag $0". Why it doesn't display "3rd bag $0" to reflect what yellow box says, I don't know. It can't be that hard to code.
Thanks for the input!

I can now negatively trump your experience. After complaining to web serviced that the side cannot display the allowance of my companion ... they fixed it and the site now shows 4x70lb for each of us ...
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:31 am

Baggage fee for domestic + international flight

I'm travelling from Spokane to SFO then SFO to Taipei. Due to my stupidity, They are on two separate tickets. I can check two bags free for the SFO-TPE leg, but it shows I need to pay for the 2nd bag for the GEG-SFO segment (I'm a silver). The SFO-TPE flight departs within 24 hours of the GEG-SFO flight's departure time.

Will I be able to check my bags from GEG to TPE? If I can, will I be able to avoid paying for the 2nd bag?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
I'm travelling from Spokane to SFO then SFO to Taipei. Due to my stupidity, They are on two separate tickets. I can check two bags free for the SFO-TPE leg, but it shows I need to pay for the 2nd bag for the GEG-SFO segment (I'm a silver). The SFO-TPE flight departs within 24 hours of the GEG-SFO flight's departure time.

Will I be able to check my bags from GEG to TPE? If I can, will I be able to avoid paying for the 2nd bag?
Assume all are UA flights, normally yes. But allow extra time at checkin at GEG for the agent to do this -- they may need to call the agent help desk if they have not done this before.

An issue will be the length of the connection in SFO.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html
If over 13 hours or overnight, the agent may refuse to do the check-thru.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by weero
...After complaining to web serviced that the side cannot display the allowance of my companion ... they fixed it and the site now shows 4x70lb for each of us ...
And my admiration to anyone who hauls 560lbs (a quarter ton +) of luggage (+carry-on) into a check-in lobby!
Old Nov 19, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
And my admiration to anyone who hauls 560lbs (a quarter ton +) of luggage (+carry-on) into a check-in lobby!
Well this time, we did not.

But I have traveled with considerably more luggage .. 13x70lb is my personal record. SQ and QF used to have ridiculously low pre-paid bag rates in the past.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:41 pm

Assume all are UA flights, normally yes. But allow extra time at checkin at GEG for the agent to do this -- they may need to call the agent help desk if they have not done this before.

An issue will be the length of the connection in SFO.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html
If over 13 hours or overnight, the agent may refuse to do the check-thru.
Thanks for the info! At GEG one agent told me that they can only check bags to the destination on the ticket, whether UA or not. Another agent told me that she could tag the bags to TPE if my connection at SFO is 12 hours or less, overnight or not (she explicitly said they no longer have the no overnight rule).
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
.... (she explicitly said they no longer have the no overnight rule).
It still on the website
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by aacharya
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/infant.aspx

It's waived either way, but most tend to bring it for gate-check, due to worries about breakage.
The way I read this it is only waived for use on board or as a gate check. My daughter is 3 and will not want to sit in it on the plane for five hours.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: Turkish Airlines Gold
As a *G I get my first bag free on flights within the US. Normally the first bag costs $25 and second $35. With the free bag, does my second bag cost $25 and third cost $35 or would my second still be $35 and third $150 or so?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.