Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Filmusic
in the attempt to avoid such troubles again - I contacted united Customer service and had them assure me (in writing) that as a Star alliance gold member's first 3 checked bags (under 70lbs each) are for free - I'll print-out this note and have it in-hand when I again return PVG/YHZ in 2 weeks
Did the miles end up in the right account? And did you still get priority boarding/lounge/etc.?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
baggage fee question

I haven't flown United in years and am not getting correct answers from India. I am getting ready to send my daughter to a conference and have paid the unaccompanied minor fee. The conference notified us to get with United as they only accept credit cards for baggage fees now. I was mainly concerned with her return trip as we can pay the fee when we drop her off at the airport tomorrow. United told me that we could check her in online 24 hours before her flight and pay the fee there. Sounded reasonable to me. Now, today I try to check her in for her outbound flight and it won't let me because she is an unaccompanied minor. So, how do I pay the fee for her to check a bag on the way home?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not send anyone old enough to travel, whether UM or not, without a CC.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Go buy a pre-paid Visa for her at Wal-Mart.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Go buy a pre-paid Visa for her at Wal-Mart.
That was all I could think of, but was hoping there was another way.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Umm, what incorrect answers were you getting from the call center?

Get her a pre-paid card, as others have noted.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Umm, what incorrect answers were you getting from the call center?
That I could pay the baggage fee when I checked her in online & this was on the same call where I was paying the unaccompanied minor fee so the rep was aware of that and should've known I couldn't check her in online.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksucats
That I could pay the baggage fee when I checked her in online & this was on the same call where I was paying the unaccompanied minor fee so the rep was aware of that and should've known I couldn't check her in online.
That's fair. Are you not dropping her off at the airport?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by aacharya
That's fair. Are you not dropping her off at the airport?
I think mom's worried about the return flight when mom won't be with her, hence my suggestion of giving daughter a pre-paid Visa to take with her to cover that charge.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
I think mom's worried about the return flight when mom won't be with her, hence my suggestion of giving daughter a pre-paid Visa to take with her to cover that charge.
For all we know, once the UM issue is covered at the initial check-in, she may be able to pay the baggage fee at OLCI on the return. If not, she has time to arrange for one.

Last edited by aacharya; Jun 7, 2013 at 3:03 pm
Old Jun 8, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I used my MP explorer card for me and 7 other companions. UA reservations says $0 for first bag for travelers on the reservation but then it shows the MP Explorer clause of just me and one companion. Will the other 6 ppl be allowed one free checked bag or no?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:11 am

Hi,

I am trying to use MP miles to redeem an award flight. I have some questions regarding my baggage allowance.

My sample itinerary is SIN-EWR / EWR-SFO / SFO-SIN. I plan on redeeming this as a single ticket, since MP allows me to redeem this as a roundtrip with stopover (SFO).

So my question is, if my first leg is operated by SQ (eg. SIN-NRT), does SQ's baggage allowance apply for my entire itinerary, or only to the SIN-EWR segments? What will my checked bag allowance be for EWR-SFO and SFO-SIN?

I plan on redeeming this for non-status family members, so the baggage fees for a 2nd checked bag (when flying UA) might add up.

Thanks

Quoting from the United website: "Please note that as required by U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, baggage service charges for your entire itinerary are determined by the marketing carrier for the first segment of your itinerary. Your originating marketing carrier is the airline whose flight number is assigned to the first segment of your itinerary. If this carrier is not United or United Express, different charges may apply. Baggage service charges are based on the date of ticketing."

The wording is pretty clear, but I am not sure if I am flying SIN-NRT on SQ then NRT-EWR on UA whether I would get 1x20kg (SQ's allowance to NRT) or 1x23kg (UA's transatl allowance). Both would kind of suck...

But, if I can find a SIN-SFO on SQ and SFO-EWR on United, will I get 2x23kg?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 11, 2013 at 4:07 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Filler03
I used my MP explorer card for me and 7 other companions. UA reservations says $0 for first bag for travelers on the reservation but then it shows the MP Explorer clause of just me and one companion. Will the other 6 ppl be allowed one free checked bag or no?
Yes they will.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:07 am

So I rang in UA reservations today and here's what I got from them:

- if the redemption is on a single itinerary, the first marketing carrier's baggage allowance will apply. so e.g. if I fly SIN-SFO on SQ, stopover at SQ, then SFO-EWR on UA, then EWR-SIN on UA all in Y, my baggage allowance will be 2x23kg

- I also asked about what happens if my SIN-SFO is via NRT, and SQ operates SIN-NRT while UA operates NRT-SFO. They said it would not be 1x20kg (which is SIN-NRT allowance by SQ) but would be the transatlantic allowance. Now I am not sure if it will be 2x23kg (SQ's TATL allowance) or 1x23 kg (UA's TATL allowance) but I figured that UA reservations won't be able to clarify it for me because it would be up to SQ if they want to grant their own allowance or use the MSC rule to grant UA's allowance.

EDIT: so this is what it states on the SQ website:

Note: In accordance with the U.S. Department of Transportation's regulations, for travel originating or travel ending in the United States, if the first carrier on your booking is not Singapore Airlines, that carrier's baggage policy may apply for the whole itinerary.

Depending on where your travel begins or ends in the United States, different baggage rules may apply:

- If your first flight originates on Singapore Airlines from LAX, SFO, IAH, JFK, EWR or on a US Airways flight with an SQ flight number, then Singapore Airlines' baggage policy will apply to your entire itinerary.

- If your first flight originates from any other U.S. city or the first flight does not have an SQ flight number, the baggage policy of the first carrier may apply to the whole itinerary (per US Department of Transportation rules).

- If your destination is a US city and first flight does not have an SQ flight number, the baggage policy of the first carrier may apply to the whole itinerary (per US Department of Transportation rules).

- If another airline's baggage policy applies to your booking, an additional baggage allowance can only be purchased from that airline. Please refer to the relevant websites of our partner airlines to review their specific rules.
EDIT 2: Just rang up SQ reservations and was told that as long as I check-in at an SQ counter in SIN for a US-bound flight (i.e. first segment is SQ-operated) it will be 2x23kg as per SQ allowance.

So my personal takeaway from that is the 2x23 should then apply for the entire itinerary, although I might (read: probably will) run into some trouble with the check-in agents for the domestic leg and the return flight bound for Singapore...

Originally Posted by VanquishShadow
Hi,

I am trying to use MP miles to redeem an award flight. I have some questions regarding my baggage allowance.

My sample itinerary is SIN-EWR / EWR-SFO / SFO-SIN. I plan on redeeming this as a single ticket, since MP allows me to redeem this as a roundtrip with stopover (SFO).

So my question is, if my first leg is operated by SQ (eg. SIN-NRT), does SQ's baggage allowance apply for my entire itinerary, or only to the SIN-EWR segments? What will my checked bag allowance be for EWR-SFO and SFO-SIN?

I plan on redeeming this for non-status family members, so the baggage fees for a 2nd checked bag (when flying UA) might add up.

Thanks

Quoting from the United website: "Please note that as required by U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, baggage service charges for your entire itinerary are determined by the marketing carrier for the first segment of your itinerary. Your originating marketing carrier is the airline whose flight number is assigned to the first segment of your itinerary. If this carrier is not United or United Express, different charges may apply. Baggage service charges are based on the date of ticketing."

The wording is pretty clear, but I am not sure if I am flying SIN-NRT on SQ then NRT-EWR on UA whether I would get 1x20kg (SQ's allowance to NRT) or 1x23kg (UA's transatl allowance). Both would kind of suck...

But, if I can find a SIN-SFO on SQ and SFO-EWR on United, will I get 2x23kg?

Last edited by VanquishShadow; Jun 17, 2013 at 2:19 am
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:05 am

Business Award Baggage Allowance

In the past, I had a business award, Asia-Europe return, with only the first leg allowing 2 bags (Swiss), so the MSC rule, I assumed got me 2 bags for all of my flights, even though the other carriers technically had allowances of 1 bag.

I just did a similar award using TG-TK and then Asiana to return from Frankfurt to NRT. Every one of these airlines has a limit of 30 kg for business, but my info says I get two bag of 30 or 32kg for each of my flights. I am happy of course, but I cannot figure out why I get to take 2 bags...any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.