Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wolfman888
In the past, I had a business award, Asia-Europe return, with only the first leg allowing 2 bags (Swiss), so the MSC rule, I assumed got me 2 bags for all of my flights, even though the other carriers technically had allowances of 1 bag.

I just did a similar award using TG-TK and then Asiana to return from Frankfurt to NRT. Every one of these airlines has a limit of 30 kg for business, but my info says I get two bag of 30 or 32kg for each of my flights. I am happy of course, but I cannot figure out why I get to take 2 bags...any thoughts?
What's the full itinerary/ticketing stock?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
What's the full itinerary/ticketing stock?
Business award from MP. NRT-BKK-IST-LIS, using TG and then TK. Return is FRA-NRT on Asiana.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:18 pm

Can someone tell me how many baggage is allowed for my flight using aeroplan miles with only the first leg (UA) in economy class and the rest in J?
UA YYZ-ORD/OZ ORD-ICN/ ICN-SIN
BR NRT-TPE/TPE-YYZ
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by aacharya
Yes they will.
Just wanted to report back... successfully got free checked bags for all travelers on my UA itinerary. There were 8 on the confirmation number, however only 4 travelers needed to check bags. Still more than the cardholder + one that the T&Cs state.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Gold; *Wood Gold
Another baggage question

I am flying SEA-EWR then taking a completely different reservation EWR-BOS, with about 1.5 hrs between. I have one bag that I would like to check. Is there any way to link the two reservations and check the bag all the way SEA-BOS?
I suppose another alt. would be two successive gate checks?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Fly16
I am flying SEA-EWR then taking a completely different reservation EWR-BOS, with about 1.5 hrs between. I have one bag that I would like to check. Is there any way to link the two reservations and check the bag all the way SEA-BOS?
I suppose another alt. would be two successive gate checks?
The agent at SEA can look it up and check it all the way through for you. Shortly after the merger there were reports of problems with the agents not knowing how to do it..but they've had a long time to practice and should be proficient.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
The agent at SEA can look it up and check it all the way through for you. Shortly after the merger there were reports of problems with the agents not knowing how to do it..but they've had a long time to practice and should be proficient.
+1

I have even done it on separate reservations with COPA and UA. Fortunately, because one of the legs of the outbound on COPA was on UA, the reservation fro COPA was in the UA system.

Make sure you check in at the airport with some extra time to allow the agent to sort it out.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Gold; *Wood Gold
Thanks very much. I'll report any issues, but it sounds like amazingly common sense!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:39 pm

Location: UA 1K 3MM, UA 1P/1K since mid '80s; CO Bronze/Silver since mid 80's, Austin, Texas
2 or 3 bags for no status pax on 1K award?

What has been your experience with free luggage allotment for people with no status flying on award travel paid with 1K miles? The person has the same last name, but will be flying alone, without the 1K.

The segments are operated by United mainline aircraft, with United employees manning the ticket counter. The passenger will be attempting to check in three bags, none of them oversize/overweight.

I've been told different things by different agents. What's been your experience? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
The status of the account the miles came from should carry to the award ticket irrespective of who is actually flying on the ticket
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WayMaker
What has been your experience with free luggage allotment for people with no status flying on award travel paid with 1K miles? ....
the same as an 1K -- 3x70
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, 3x70lbs. And at least in DEN and SFO it seems to be consistently-implemented.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
+1
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by alexperi
+1
+2
Several experiences where family checked a bag with my status, including on US Airways.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
For some extra security — the united.com view of the reservation has a little "bag fees calculator" that shows you how many bags you can check for free. It should indeed show 3x70lb for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.