Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
What about bag weight? First class gets a 70lb allowance while Y gets 50. Do I get the 70lb allowance since I haven't physically checked the bag yet? If that's the case, then I wouldn't feel bad at all since my bag is probably a bit over 50 lbs and the upgrade plus the baggage fee is still less than the overweight baggage fee
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by diburning
What about bag weight? First class gets a 70lb allowance while Y gets 50. Do I get the 70lb allowance since I haven't physically checked the bag yet? If that's the case, then I wouldn't feel bad at all since my bag is probably a bit over 50 lbs and the upgrade plus the baggage fee is still less than the overweight baggage fee
If youre in F then you should get whatever the weight is for F. You may have to explain it all to the person checking you in. Just make sure you dont check in at the reg counter but do so at the F counter, dont say anything as they may say why did you pay for the bag its free for F passengers and refund it to you.

If they know what they are doing they should realize that the computer Never would have charged you if at the time you paid you were already in F, but maybe it will be your lucky day
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: US Gold, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
A newbie question:

I am booking an itinerary on TP, LH and SQ (all economy). I am not sure what the baggage allowance will be. TP's website says that it allows 1 checked baggage while LH and SQ say that they permit 2 checked baggage. I am using UA miles to book the itinerary.

Also note that I have a stopover at Frankfurt (LH) and Singaport (SQ). Will that change the baggage limits?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: Aeoplan Gold/MilagePlus Gold
star alliance baggage question

i've quit aircanada - recent pricing and status miles accumulation policy have made me understand that for my travel UA is a better choice

I hold a gold status level through aeroplan with star alliance,

may i book a flight with UA using my milage plus account for accumulation, then, at check-in, enjoy the free baggage that my star alliance gold status (through aeroplan) allows
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Filmusic
... may i book a flight with UA using my milage plus account for accumulation, then, at check-in, enjoy the free baggage that my star alliance gold status (through aeroplan) allows
yes, you will need to present your card at check-in (and explain you are switching to UA).
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:38 pm

great! (fingers crossed!!)
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Why not ask for a status match so you can get the mileage bonus with UA?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by keisari
Why not ask for a status match so you can get the mileage bonus with UA?
It is rare for UA to status match / challenge a *A partner FF.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes, you will need to present your card at check-in (and explain you are switching to UA).
My understanding is that in order to receive the free bags the *G FF# has to be in the reservation when the bags are delivered to UA. After that changing it shouldn't cause any issues but just showing the AC card while having the UA FF# in the reservation is not likely to get the free bags.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
My understanding is that in order to receive the free bags the *G FF# has to be in the reservation when the bags are delivered to UA. After that changing it shouldn't cause any issues but just showing the AC card while having the UA FF# in the reservation is not likely to get the free bags.
To get the system to do this, that is likely needed. But have heard some agents handle it without needing to do that. But with the increasing reduction in agent discretion, some may require the extra steps (hence my comment about explaining to the agent the goal of transferring business to UA).
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
I suggest book it with AC# then after dropping the bags switch to UA MP. Problem is if the return is before the Outbound posts cant it mess things up? since they will have to go back in for the Return and put their AC# back in for the free bags again and then change it after dropping the bags and before flying like they did with the OutBound. A hassle until they get to 1P (50K) with UA

Or once you credit a flight/s to UA you dont need to worry that it will end up posting to AC if you switch it before the OutBound posts?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Just use your UA MP#. Star Alliance gold is recognized throughout the entire alliance, so you'd get the star alliance gold benefits. Just carry your *G card in case the computer doesn't realize that you're gold.
Old May 29, 2013, 3:42 pm

well thought to report my pvg/yhz using my United FF program to credit and my Aeroplan Gold to attempt to get 3 bags checked for free (as per star alliance policy)

at first I was simply refused - the united Shanghai agent told me it that would cost $270usd - I asked to speak to her supervisor. He didn't really get it either - but he had a solution - we input my aeroplan number - checked the bags for free - then changed my FF program to United's MP, then printed-out new tickets - then all was well

in the attempt to avoid such troubles again - I contacted united Customer service and had them assure me (in writing) that as a Star alliance gold member's first 3 checked bags (under 70lbs each) are for free - I'll print-out this note and have it in-hand when I again return PVG/YHZ in 2 weeks

I'll also print-out the united web-site page that states Gold Star Alliance gets 3 bags checked for free

in 2 more flights I'll have Gold with MP...so this will all go away...but for anyone travelling in a like situation - having proof in-hand may well be the solution to a speedy check-in
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Checked Baggage on CRJ700

As a GS, am I still allowed 3 70lb bags checked even on a CRJ700? I was not sure if they might do weight limits given the small size of the cargo hold.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by blueman2
As a GS, am I still allowed 3 70lb bags checked even on a CRJ700? I was not sure if they might do weight limits given the small size of the cargo hold.
Yes. Equipment is not the issue - in other word, it applies to EMB 120 as well.

It is another matter if UAX wants to do weight restriction. Then they will VDB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.