Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

28 August 2012 - United System Outage (Imapct, Discussion, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

28 August 2012 - United System Outage (Imapct, Discussion, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by eflyte
Well, whatever the broader impacts I managed to waltz through unaffected - on time out of ORD at 6 pm and safely arrived at destination. Best of luck to everyone else out there.
Nice. Wonder what percentage actually were affected. This board complains a lot, so I doubt it is truly representative of the general flying population.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by OUFan76
I associate most of the bad things happening with United. Never had these problems on Continental. (to Friendlyskies)
It's funny you say that, considering this is COs res system, and the majority of the people responsible for the combined airline, including the CIO, are from CO....
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Platinum
It's showing my reservations but all miles are missing, lost my gold status too. Should we wait or call?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
It's funny you say that, considering this is COs res system, and the majority of the people responsible for the combined airline, including the CIO, are from CO....
I read the systems were mostly from the UA end and the software was on the CO end. Software worked great for years before the merger.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I read the systems were mostly from the UA end and the software was on the CO end. Software worked great for years before the merger.
CO also had a much more simplified operation, so...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Well, let's look at it this way. Before the merger, UA never had anything but the occasional glitch that all systems have. Certainly nothing like this mess since 3/3 & nothing more Thrn any other airline. You say the old CO was the same? That is probably true but they now use SHARES which comes from the CO side. It may have been fine for an airline the size if CO but it's certainly not up to par w an airline the size of UA. Current mgmnt (which comes from CO) are 100% at fault for this. The CIO at the time warned this would happen & quit when they would not listen. But as we have all seen, current mgmnt knows best, they keep telling us so.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive, AmericanAdvantage Gold
I associate most of the bad things happening with United. Never had these problems on Continental. (to Friendlyskies)
That is funny because Continental is in charge with United in name only. I think we are seeing how CO was run for years. CO service and IT was hidden in monopoly cities and limited customer exposure. Sorry to say but the CO of the past is the United of the present which needs much improvement.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:21 pm

Nope CO of the past is certainly not this disaster. I'm guessing from the whining UA wasn't either. Maybe blaming united isn't fair, but continental never had these problems before being merged with united. Maybe some kind of new beast with the worst of both worlds? Bad software operating on outdated hardware?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by bsh451
Thanks United for putting an additional 270,000 miles in my account. Maybe I should grab a couple international first class tickets before they wake up.
Be sure you don't fly UA after that all you will be getting negative miles in your MP account for a long while ;-).
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA1K
got off a plane at SNA and heard the GA's saying the system was down and they would have to check people boarding the plane by hand. didn't realize shares decided to take an off-day until i got to work.

nice job CO.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is it safe to go back in the water yet? I'm almost afraid to log on and try to book anything.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Nope CO of the past is certainly not this disaster. I'm guessing from the whining UA wasn't either. Maybe blaming united isn't fair, but continental never had these problems before being merged with united. Maybe some kind of new beast with the worst of both worlds? Bad software operating on outdated hardware?
Or it could just be unhappy new UA employee trying to get even due to frustration over the new SHARES reservation system? LOL.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
28 August 2012 - United System Issues (Website, Reservations, Etc.) and Impact

I was fine for most of the day but now have zero miles posted in my account
Are most folks hearing to just wait or should we call?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by davidwu
It's showing my reservations but all miles are missing, lost my gold status too. Should we wait or call?
Originally Posted by dahaberm
I was fine for most of the day but now have zero miles posted in my account
Are most folks hearing to just wait or should we call?
Unless you have an urgent reason to call or deal with account issues seems like less grief to give it a new or two --- and only call if the problem persist.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Maybe some kind of new beast with the worst of both worlds? Bad software operating on outdated hardware?
again the overall "blame CO" mentality seems kind of fruitless to me. who cares if they're mostly legacy CO, bottom line is it's UA now. but whatever.

SHARES did come from the pmCO side, but from what i understand the actual instance of SHARES currently running is not the same as what CO was running pre-3/3. it's the same software, but a separate installation (someone correct me if i'm wrong). so while the previous installation was configured and was working fine (i'm not debating it's capabilities, i'm saying it seemed to be working within its capabilities fine) my only guess is this second installation was botched and the migration of UA's apollo system didn't go well either.

but here we go again, pmUA flyers blaming a company that doesn't exist, pmCO flyers saying they are unreasonable. every thread seems to have this post-3/3 and the world continues to turn. honestly, the crash didn't bother me. and i was flying today.

i was actually flying LGA-ORD-GRR today. the crash seemed to happen while i was midair on my ORD-GRR flight. when i got off my plane i overheard the GA and the FA talking about how all the systems are down and when i got off the jetway they were saying during boarding they would be checking passengers off the manifest via pen and paper. which i guess is fine, i got to my destination okay. i checked and all my reservations, my mileage and such are all fine. actually truth be told my account was never out of sync post-3/3 even once. before people nitpick i'm not defending shares or the pmCO team, just saying the fact that i've never seen my account not be accurate since the cutover.

actually it's curious though, i had seen something today i hadn't seen before on my years flying CO. i know UA had it, but this is new to me. my LGA-ORD flight had departed 45 minutes behind schedule due to traffic. my connection time at ORD was scheduled for 40 minutes. the pilot went pretty quick and we arrived enough for me to have a 12 minute connection. when i landed i checked my email and UA had proactively booked me (keeping my CPU no less) on the next flight out. i know this is a feature that pmUA flyers missed since 3/3 but nonetheless, it's nice to see that this is happening. hopefully this is a permanent thing that's here to stay going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.