Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

28 August 2012 - United System Outage (Imapct, Discussion, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

28 August 2012 - United System Outage (Imapct, Discussion, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
A massive fail by SHARES, per WSJ. However would not hold your breath waiting for Smisek to apologize to elites. I guess we roll the dice every time we book UA for travel until SHARES is fixed
Smisek should apologize to the world, not only to the elites.

Yes, he is destroying three airlines: old CO, old UA and new UA.
Incompetent for his job. He should step down voluntarily.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by snowed
Mileage balance is at 0 on the mobile app

itins still there.
The website is all correct for me (itins, mileage, RPU's & GPU's) and the mobile shows my itineraries as correct however it shows that my mileage balance has reverted to 3,000 miles (which was what I had in my matched PMCO account pre 3/3)

I don't know whether to laugh, cry or simply just put my feet up and have a beer and then wonder if $misek has a temper
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
Anyone have knowledge of what happens in these cases?

With a failure like this what is the fallout? One person fired? An entire department fired ? Or is it like bringing someone back to life who had a heart attack? Or is is the guy who finds the one ethernet gigabit cable unplugged and just plugs in with cheers and celebrations?
It's been my experience that senior executives are far more forgiving in these situations than what we would normally expect. The tech grunts are usually insulated from reprisal (unless they did something malicious). It doesn't make sense to fire a whole dept since they are the only ones who can fix the problem.

Most likely the immediate resolution involved rebooting servers and restoring data from a backup, which explains the discrepancies everyone is seeing on their accounts right now. A root cause analysis can usually be traced back to somebody doing something stupid during coding that testing didn't catch.

The CTO and IT VPs will have some uncomfortable conference calls with Smisek and the board but you'll never see any immediate repercussions. Usually it means somebody getting quietly pushed out the door a few months from now or denied promotion.

Now, will a problem of this magnitude (and yes, this was a serious f-up on every imaginable scale) result in a systemic and thorough review of IT operations and development practices to ensure that it never happens again? Um...yeah, no.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TommyC80
typically?
Haha, you caught it too. What do the rest do that can't land?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Dear Jeffie,

Remember me? I'm the guy you fired when I told you SHARES wasn't up to the task. Guess I was right , but you're on your own now! Oh well...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Haha, you caught it too. What do the rest do that can't land?
They crash in a blaze of glory.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by goalie
simply just put my feet up and have a beer and then wonder if $misek has a temper
That is what I am doing
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mrswirl
A root cause analysis can usually be traced back to somebody doing something stupid during coding that testing didn't catch.
Has COdbaUA IT released any "feature" with thorough (or even mediocre) testing? They are at least now employing FTers as beta testers on the preview site, I suppose...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by milepig
Dear Jeffie,

Remember me? I'm the guy you fired when I told you SHARES wasn't up to the task. Guess I was right , but you're on your own now! Oh well...
Is this true?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milepig
Dear Jeffie,

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Is this true?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...o-cio-now.html
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Escape from IAH

I was apparently on one of the earlier flights to leave after (during) the outage. Got out on 380 to CLE from IAH a little over an hour after it was scheduled. the odd thing was that there was very little traffic leaving IAH during rush hour (around 5). There were no more than 3 aircraft lined up for take off!!!

When I touched down in CLE the FA announced that the system was still having issues. Sharez to all and all a good sharez!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Tim: How is our network?
Jon: Sluggish, like a wet sponge.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
this is all very interesting... I wonder if that is really him... and if anyone else is now regretting listening to smisek instead...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Spindrift300
Haven't logged into united.com for months, go to check mileage balance and can't get in. I call customer no-service and they say their IT systems are down...as usual.

I work in the IT field and I can't understand how a company can do business like this, this is not an uncommon occurrence.
No money invested into IT.. I work in IT and worked for companies that try to cut as much as they can from IT. Needless to say, I do not stay there that long. Hold me accountable, fine. But give me the tools and resources needed.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
Anyone have knowledge of what happens in these cases?

With a failure like this what is the fallout? One person fired? An entire department fired ? Or is it like bringing someone back to life who had a heart attack? Or is is the guy who finds the one ethernet gigabit cable unplugged and just plugs in with cheers and celebrations?
In my experience, human error accounts for about 75% of outages like this.

Dont be surprise if a few heads roll...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.