Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

28 August 2012 - United System Outage (Imapct, Discussion, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

28 August 2012 - United System Outage (Imapct, Discussion, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
Finally able to log back in. Showing all my miles and status correctly. Not showing any reservations, but that part is also correct.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:47 pm

Thumbs down Time to get serious, United

When the dust settles on all this, it would be very appropriate for United to candidly let its customers know what happened -- not as a favor, but as a way to provide peace of mind to the many inconvenienced customers whose dollars pay to keep the organization in business. Occasional mistakes and failures happen, but when they happen with frequency, then something is wrong. Is the airline prepared to manage its operations, or is it not, and customers deserve to know that so that they can make informed decisions about which airline is reliable enough to earn their business. Many on this forum seriously discuss and even joke about the ongoing problems with the new United, but this circus has now become a serious matter that needs serious attention by the company's leadership -- and it wouldn't hurt for this attention to show publicly so that we know that you actually care and listen, rather than think we're over-entitled buffoons. Miles erroneously distributed, miles taken back, miles redistributed later, IT award mileage errors, IT award mileage errors taken back, multiple serious system failures, statements by senior leadership about customer over-entitlements, and the list goes on. Really, I ask, what is going on over there??? Can you handle our business adequately or can't you?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Long string...

I like the AP and SFGate verbiage:

The glitch was another in a long string of technology problems that began when United merged computer systems with Continental's in March.

While CO IT's shortcomings were common knowledge to some on FT for years, it's good to see the mainstream media applying this perception to the new UA.

The more attention they give this problem, the better it will get in the long term.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by id_est
What a mess. So glad I am not at an airport dealing with this.
-----------
So am I, I'm off today !
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by channa
I like the AP and SFGate verbiage:

The glitch was another in a long string of technology problems that began when United merged computer systems with Continental's in March.

While CO IT's shortcomings were common knowledge to some on FT for years, it's good to see the mainstream media applying this perception to the new UA.

The more attention they give this problem, the better it will get in the long term.
The only problem with that is the PMUA hardware that can't support the advanced PMCO system.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-----------
So am I, I'm off today !
So so glad I flew USAir today. It would have been a complete disaster otherwise. Thank you intuition.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Marriott lifetime Plat
Possible benefit from outage?

When the system came back up, I found that I had finally received my original routing credit for two flights back in April. It had taken three phone calls and two emails (and now one system outage), but I got those PQMs!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by colpuck
The only problem with that is the PMUA hardware that can't support the advanced PMCO system.
I think this is Meg Whitman's way of saying, "Sorry United, we can no longer afford to provide you this service at such a low cost. You'll get what you pay for. Rolling brown-outs due to capacity constraints."
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Hoping I get the proper mileage credit today. I finished up work a little early today, so took an earlier flight than scheduled. Alas, it was in the middle of the crash, so they handwrote the new flight number on my old boarding pass. Hope it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:38 pm

When will UAdbaUA get its act together? Getting absurd.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by OUFan76
When will UAdbaUA get its act together? Getting absurd.
UAdbaUA?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Hoping I get the proper mileage credit today. I finished up work a little early today, so took an earlier flight than scheduled. Alas, it was in the middle of the crash, so they handwrote the new flight number on my old boarding pass. Hope it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.
Don't know if this is your flight out or back, but for all you folks who were taking a flight "out", the manual boarding will show you as a no-show for the flight, so make sure you fix your return. It will probably get cancelled.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:42 pm

I associate most of the bad things happening with United. Never had these problems on Continental. (to Friendlyskies)
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Well, whatever the broader impacts I managed to waltz through unaffected - on time out of ORD at 6 pm and safely arrived at destination. Best of luck to everyone else out there.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: United 1K
Thanks United for putting an additional 270,000 miles in my account. Maybe I should grab a couple international first class tickets before they wake up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.