Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

28 August 2012 - United System Outage (Imapct, Discussion, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

28 August 2012 - United System Outage (Imapct, Discussion, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:14 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Yep, web is bombing out. I was, however, able to sneak a reservation through. I was unaware of the outage, and kept getting held up on the Verified by Visa page. But then the reservation finally went through.

But yep, now my account shows no reservations...

Originally Posted by wunderpit
Yep, web is bombing out. I was, however, able to sneak a reservation through. I was unaware of the outage, and kept getting held up on the Verified by Visa page. But then the reservation finally went through.

oh wait. they're back!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 28, 2012 at 4:24 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Just got to IAH. couple TV news camera crews on site. check in lines still ridiculous, winding around and around the lobby. security was a breeze (as it usually is at this hour), despite no precheck for me due to intl itinerary.

many flights canceled /delayed according to the departure board.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Hmmm, I just logged into my account for the first time in a couple of years (no flight activity since 2003) and it came up perfectly, even showing my several hundred orphan miles - go figure

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
this outage and the hurricane will make for quite a one-two punch...

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by nevansm
Brilliant, as mentioned - if only it was real.
Originally Posted by jetboy787
Its a shame its a fake AA reply, but that would have been great!
That's the legit AA Twitter account. They have a good sense of humor.^ It is a fake UA account though.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UAMP
Figures...

Haven't logged into united.com for months, go to check mileage balance and can't get in. I call customer no-service and they say their IT systems are down...as usual.

I work in the IT field and I can't understand how a company can do business like this, this is not an uncommon occurrence.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Plat; B6 Mosaic; SPG Plat
I tried to book the ticket when I saw the site came back up. It choked on my credit card details (tried two different cards).
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Originally Posted by hobo13
Planes are still taking off and not falling out of the sky. Just a minor glitch. Nothing to see here.

Minor glitch unless you're United, you're flying United, or wanting to book a flight/change a flight on United.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Must be one of them there changes that we are gonna like
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EVP, United 1K and 2MM, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Delta
"Try again in an hour and a half"

Well - at 3:25 PST still got the response from the 1K agent "our system is down - please call back in an hour and a half."
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by hobo13
Planes are still taking off and not falling out of the sky. Just a minor glitch. Nothing to see here.

Minor glitch? I would say it's far from a minor glitch when you're handing out boarding passes on copy paper made with a template you just threw together in MS Word...

Not to mention the fact that both EWR and ORD look like a zoo, people are missing connections to/from flights and you can't book, edit or retrieve a reservation...or get someone on the phone. Shall I go on?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2.7 million miler)
Just logged in with my old UA Mileage Plus number - the one with 11 numeric digits. My consolidated UA/CO number and pin does not log me in.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium

oh wait. they're back!
Not here -- was able to log in earlier but can't now. I can't even view my reservations with the PNR and name. It says the name doesn't match the record locator.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:36 pm

United responds to CNN

United says they are in the process of resuming normal operations. Outage began around 2pm CT and caused delays and cancellations. Issuing waiver policy allowing customers on affected flights to cancel/re-book without penalty.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by TommyC80

oh wait. they're back!
Not here -- was able to log in earlier but can't now. I can't even view my reservations with the PNR and name. It says the name doesn't match the record locator.
Not here either. Everything else in my a/c is correct* except for showing any reservations

*for now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.