Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

28 August 2012 - United System Outage (Imapct, Discussion, etc.)

28 August 2012 - United System Outage (Imapct, Discussion, etc.)

Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec (err... Premier Platinum), SPG Platinum
Will it get worse before it gets better?

While I certainly don't claim to understand the complexities of SHARES (or any airline IT system for that matter), it's really disconcerting to think that these glitches/functionality gaps/usability gaps are not only inconvenient but also potentially dangerous. Hadn't seen the below thread before -- was this also SHARES related?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ff-new-ua.html

I do really feel for the IT organization. Sounds like a classic case of business stakeholders trying to mandate both development scope AND release timelines, which leads to inevitable shrinking of your testing window. The best developers must be seriously sleep deprived at this point.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
I'm so glad I used my AA status match and booked my next flight from SFO->MIA on AA.

Using AA is a change I'm going to like!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
The sfgate comments are pure FT

Originally Posted by wmute
Some expanded media coverage, its a longer version of the AP article posted earlier:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/U...ad-3821870.php
w0mbat
4:05 PM on August 28, 2012

This is the company where a senior exec recently gave a public speech saying their customers were a bunch of over-entitled whiners. I've switched to other airlines.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/U...#ixzz24u88XZPM
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I was able to see upgrade requests Pending etc on the preview site before this change, I don't see them on the preview or the regular site now after this snafu
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by demkr
I was able to see upgrade requests Pending etc on the preview site before this change, I don't see them on the preview or the regular site now after this snafu
Is the preview site even up? I am getting redirected to the regular site.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by demkr
Good catch - perhaps you are a software tester by trade?

I'm guessing one of two things:
1. They are using an older version of the code, because it was the first/best they could recover from immediately after the software issues.
B. The Pending/etc status' and states actually did mess things up and we'll never ever see them as long as SHARES exists

-jeremy
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Smile Beta testers...

Shame on all FTers. What kind of beta testing have you been doing? If only FTers had done a decent job beta testing, such a failure would have never happened. Another bunch of over-entitled customers...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:38 pm
Suspended

28 August 2012 - United System Issues (Website, Reservations, Etc.) and Impact

I was surprised. When I landed at lax there were no huge lines at the cust svc counter. I missed my connection and shares rebooked me for tomorrow. Not okay. They rebooked on ola on phone. Took 40 mins to get ticket issued. Ridiculous. Now I'm delayed 4.5 hours will not get home until midnight an have a long work day tomorrow. But I think I must be an exception cu no long lines here an even looking at tr lax board there are not more delays than normal. I'm shocked so many people still made their connections. Maybe I'm just unlucky. At least I got a $20 meal voucher
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
UAdbaUA?
Just saw a credit card charge for a recent UA ticket that read "Continental Airlines doing business as Continental Airlines," so it should be COdbaCO.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:30 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
A problem with SHARES? Astonishing.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Suffering through the residual effects of "the crash". Sitting on UA1280 at gate in SFO. Now waiting for the bus driver who's driving in from HNL. Maybe only a 1 hour delay. I guess we're fortunate, but it still sucks. Its past 11pm local time.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
So glad, after 7 years of being a 1K, that I jumped ship. I feel your pain everyone. Sorry. :-/
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OMAguy
this happened at the old *UA* last year? (june 2011 i think) i remember sitting for hours on the runway at ORD - the night the entire computer system went out. planes were being manually dispatched and gates were slow to open. we really are dependent on technology as a society - and we just have to accept it and move on. no need to complain - part of what makes life fun!

although this may be directly related to something in SHARES (i can picture some IT guy accidentally pressed the big red button that says DO NOT TOUCH and then saying OOPS), it could have happened to any airline. it was in APOLLO when it happened to old *UNITED*
Yup. We were flying back to SFO from DFW last June and got stranded for the night at LAX due to that systemwide shutdown. United paid for our hotel (after the fact; they could not print vouchers) and provided certificates toward future travel.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:11 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I believe that Apple is using Shares now. http://www.tuaw.com/2012/08/29/apple-store-is-down/ Look familiar?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:16 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Well, let's look at it this way. Before the merger, UA never had anything but the occasional glitch that all systems have. Certainly nothing like this mess since 3/3 & nothing more Thrn any other airline.
So not true. This thread covers the spectacular systemwide outage last June. Pretty much identical. All planes grounded. No online check in. No check in at airport. No phone reservations. I remember it because I was flying with a group of high school students that day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.