Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

28 August 2012 - United System Outage (Imapct, Discussion, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

28 August 2012 - United System Outage (Imapct, Discussion, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:36 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
UA's FB page update two minutes ago:

Technology update. We’re in the process of resuming operations after our temporary network outage that affected our airports and united.com. We’re rebooking customers as quickly as possible and issuing a waiver policy to allow affected customers to cancel or rebook without penalty. We’re sorry for this disruption and appreciate your patience.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13
Planes are still taking off and not falling out of the sky. Just a minor glitch. Nothing to see here.

Well, reportedly take-offs were delayed. As for the notion that minor glitches are everything short of planes falling out of the sky...

Originally Posted by johnmont
Minor glitch unless you're United, you're flying United, or wanting to book a flight/change a flight on United.
^^^
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K MM, Delta Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DiscountBusinessFlyer
Just logged in with my old UA Mileage Plus number - the one with 11 numeric digits. My consolidated UA/CO number and pin does not log me in.
Yes! Just did the same. It was refreshing to type the number that I thought had died!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Yeah, I can't log in.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Aegean-Gold, TK-Elite, Accor-Platinum, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Club Carlson-Gold,AMEX-Platinum
Or...

Originally Posted by ExitRowLegroom
I really feel that they should update the United.com error page to this:

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3qo7yy/
Or this:
http://www.isitchristmas.com/

They could just buy a different domain, calling it:
www.AreWeBoardingYet.com

And they would not even have to modify the content of the original page
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wow. Old MP number works and new one doesn't. What a joke.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:48 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by demkr
Wow. Old MP number works and new one doesn't. What a joke.
Neither works here for the website; old one doesn't work on iPhone; new one does.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA GS
I'm now able to login on the iPhone app and all of my activity and miles, and status are now current again.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: United GS MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I'm not able to log in using new or old MP number.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key UA 1K
Was able to sign back in now my miles show ZERO
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TommyC80
Minor glitch? I would say it's far from a minor glitch when you're handing out boarding passes on copy paper made with a template you just threw together in MS Word...

Not to mention the fact that both EWR and ORD look like a zoo, people are missing connections to/from flights and you can't book, edit or retrieve a reservation...or get someone on the phone. Shall I go on?
You're missing the sarcasm of hobo13's post.

It's poking at the notion--often advanced by UA apologists in recent months--that "hey, planes aren't falling out of the sky" as a dismissal of every UA failing people have posted about on FT.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:54 pm

Its all FUBAR. Tried to purchase a flight through the website earlier just as this issue started (about 5 hours ago) - and although I now have a reservation and a seat, its not fully ticketed and won't allow my CC to purchase the flight. I have talked to colleagues who are stranded in ORD because passengers can't print out boarding passes. Its all messed up. Just like it was last June (2011).
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TommyC80
Minor glitch? I would say it's far from a minor glitch when you're handing out boarding passes on copy paper made with a template you just threw together in MS Word...

Not to mention the fact that both EWR and ORD look like a zoo, people are missing connections to/from flights and you can't book, edit or retrieve a reservation...or get someone on the phone. Shall I go on?
I was being sarcastic by quoting an oft-repeated line of our resident CO apologists.

Trust me, I think this stuff is ridiculous.

Last edited by hobo13; Aug 28, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Marriott lifetime Plat
Was able to log in with my new MP number. My status and mileage totals were correct. My lone remaining reservation was gone, but I was able to retrieve it by confirmation number, but could not view seat assignments, which no longer appear on my reservation. So, because I was within 24 hours of the flight, I went to OLCI and found everything intact. (whew)

Now -- let's see if it all holds up.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
You're missing the sarcasm of hobo13's post.

It's poking at the notion--often advanced by UA apologists in recent months--that "hey, planes aren't falling out of the sky" as a dismissal of every UA failing people have posted about on FT.
Originally Posted by hobo13
I was being sarcastic by quoting an oft-repeated line of our resident CO apologists.

Trust me, I think this stuff is ridiculous.
Oops! Sorry I misinterpreted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.