Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've got a similar case I'm wondering about for RPU/domestic. I have an upcoming two-segment itinerary with a very long leg XXX-YYY and then a much shorter YYY-ZZZ leg. I called and had the RPU applied only to the longer leg XXX-YYY (where R was 0 at booking) because I did not want to burn it if only YYY-ZZZ (where R was >0 at booking) was going to clear.

Finally R space became available on XXX-YYY. I didn't clear automatically, which is a whole different complaint. I had to call and they cleared the upgrade. The agent was unable to extend the RPU to apply to the YYY-ZZZ connection "because I hadn't applied it that way originally" and it would consume another RPU on that leg. Because my fare class on YYY-ZZZ is fairly low, I don't expect to clear unless I am instrument-supported. Any ideas or experiences besides calling back and pleading my case?

I am reluctant to apply a second RPU and then try to get one of them back after the fact.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
I never had an issue with this, and do it frequently as others have posted.
I would try calling back and getting another agent, it seems the agent you have spoken to is misinformed, unknowledgeable, or didnt want to put in the effort to apply the RPU.

Originally Posted by bmr12
I've got a similar case I'm wondering about for RPU/domestic. I have an upcoming two-segment itinerary with a very long leg XXX-YYY and then a much shorter YYY-ZZZ leg. I called and had the RPU applied only to the longer leg XXX-YYY (where R was 0 at booking) because I did not want to burn it if only YYY-ZZZ (where R was >0 at booking) was going to clear.

Finally R space became available on XXX-YYY. I didn't clear automatically, which is a whole different complaint. I had to call and they cleared the upgrade. The agent was unable to extend the RPU to apply to the YYY-ZZZ connection "because I hadn't applied it that way originally" and it would consume another RPU on that leg. Because my fare class on YYY-ZZZ is fairly low, I don't expect to clear unless I am instrument-supported. Any ideas or experiences besides calling back and pleading my case?

I am reluctant to apply a second RPU and then try to get one of them back after the fact.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bmr12
.... The agent was unable to extend the RPU to apply to the YYY-ZZZ connection "because I hadn't applied it that way originally" and it would consume another RPU on that leg. ....
Call back and get a competent agent. Have done this multiple times (since 3/3 and before).
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Call back and get a competent agent. Have done this multiple times (since 3/3 and before).
I did call again and the agent said it was handled (after another 10 minutes on hold). The little indicator in the itinerary went from the little blue up arrow to "R Class Requested" so maybe that means something actually changed?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by pduck01
Has anyone successfully made a same-day or short layover turn NYC-HNL and used only one RPU? If so, please indicate routing and whether an agent or .bomb was used.

Thank you.
I plan a MR (LAX-MCO) with short turn around (<1 hr) and I need 2 RPUs to upgrade both legs online. I thought that only 1 RPU is needed for this as well.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pduck01
Has anyone successfully made a same-day or short layover turn NYC-HNL and used only one RPU? If so, please indicate routing and whether an agent or .bomb was used.

Thank you.
Originally Posted by RandD
I plan a MR (LAX-MCO) with short turn around (<1 hr) and I need 2 RPUs to upgrade both legs online. I thought that only 1 RPU is needed for this as well.
If the rules are the same as PMUA, a single RPU is good for connecting flight until there is a 4 hour break OR a segment would return you to a previously visited airport.

So AAA-BBB-AAA requires 2 RPU -- in fact any itin returning to the departure city would require 2 RPUs.

BUT LAX-JFK-SFO-LAX with a quick (sub-4 hour) turn, LAX-JFK-SFO would be just 1 RPU. (one can substitute HNL for JFK)

Another situation LAX-XXX-....-SNA could be a single RPU.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:53 pm

If the rules are the same as PMUA, a single RPU is good for connecting flight until there is a 4 hour break OR a segment would return you to a previously visited airport.

So AAA-BBB-AAA requires 2 RPU -- in fact any itin returning to the departure city would require 2 RPUs.

BUT LAX-JFK-SFO-LAX with a quick (sub-4 hour) turn, LAX-JFK-SFO would be just 1 RPU. (one can substitute HNL for JFK)

Another situation LAX-XXX-....-SNA could be a single RPU.
In my case, both .bomb and the agent asked for 1 RPU for LAX-MCO and 1 RPU for MCO-LAX to upgrade although it has a short layover.

Am I correct to say that I can use 1 RPU if my trip is either LAX-AAA-MCO & MCO-LAX or LAX-MCO & MCO-BBB-LAX?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by RandD
Am I correct to say that I can use 1 RPU if my trip is either LAX-AAA-MCO & MCO-LAX or LAX-MCO & MCO-BBB-LAX?
the last leg to LAX would require a second RPU since you are returning to a airport from which you departed using the RPU.

You cannot depart and arrive at the same airport using the same RPU. Can not close the circle.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
the last leg to LAX would require a second RPU since you are returning to a airport from which you departed using the RPU.

You cannot depart and arrive at the same airport using the same RPU. Can not close the circle.
Well, my DFW-IAH-SJU-IAH-DFW seems to call for 2 RPUs. I'd be happy to not close the circle and only be upgraded on over water segments, but certainly cannot do it online.

EmailKid
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Well, my DFW-IAH-SJU-IAH-DFW seems to call for 2 RPUs. ....
as it should

Originally Posted by EmailKid
.... I'd be happy to not close the circle and only be upgraded on over water segments, but certainly cannot do it online. ...
to request individual segments only, you have to call (that was a minor nice feature of PMUA to do online -- but with the BF refund clause -- calling is only needed in CPU region)

Not sure I see the beef with this situation.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Not sure I see the beef with this situation.
No beef.

Didn't even know something like that was possible.

EmailKid
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:18 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed, but haven't had a chance to read all the postings. I booked saver award economy seats to Hawaii for 4 family members, without myself being on the reservation. I was planning to buy myself a ticket later on rather than using points. As a Global Services member, I thought I could then apply my RPUs and GPUs to the award tickets, but was told that I would actually have to be on the reservation with them to make that happen. Also the agent stated that I could not have a revenue ticket mixed with award booking on the same reservation. Can anyone with Global Service experience confirm this? I just ended up booking my family in saver-class business for an additional 20k points each (since it was available). However, I would have liked to have used my RPU/GPU rather than burning miles.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by pacman777
I'm sure this has been discussed, but haven't had a chance to read all the postings. I booked saver award economy seats to Hawaii for 4 family members, without myself being on the reservation. I was planning to buy myself a ticket later on rather than using points. As a Global Services member, I thought I could then apply my RPUs and GPUs to the award tickets, but was told that I would actually have to be on the reservation with them to make that happen. Also the agent stated that I could not have a revenue ticket mixed with award booking on the same reservation. Can anyone with Global Service experience confirm this? I just ended up booking my family in saver-class business for an additional 20k points each (since it was available). However, I would have liked to have used my RPU/GPU rather than burning miles.
Discussion on this issue and similar reports (need to be on same PNR) came be found in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-q-2012-a.html

specific experience (Post #787)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Complicated (?) upgrade question

I have a more-than-simple (maybe it is simple for you FTers) upgrade question:

My parents have been generous enough to pay for the flight to OGG via HNL from IAH for my honeymoon. My dad is GS and booked the flight through his MP account. I have my own account that until this year was 1P status. This year I have no status. My Fiance also has no status. They paid for us to be booked into a coach seat, and then is going to be requesting an upgrade for the both of us using GPUs. My question(s) is as follows:

1. Can he request upgrades for us with GPUs despite the fact we are not his designated GS "companion"? The GS desk agent first misunderstood him and said he couldn't use RPU unless he was on the flight (correct) and then said he could use a GPU but seemed unsure.

2. Will we be considered based on my status or his status (as he paid for the tickets) on the upgrade list? I am unsure because I have always booked via my MP account

3. Do GPUs clear before paid/mileage upgrades?

4. The flight is June 30, so if he requests the upgrades now, will we not be cleared until T-24? Do GPUs ever clear sooner?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by UTex09
I have a more-than-simple (maybe it is simple for you FTers) upgrade question:

My parents have been generous enough to pay for the flight to OGG via HNL from IAH for my honeymoon. My dad is GS and booked the flight through his MP account. I have my own account that until this year was 1P status. This year I have no status. My Fiance also has no status. They paid for us to be booked into a coach seat, and then is going to be requesting an upgrade for the both of us using GPUs. My question(s) is as follows:

1. Can he request upgrades for us with GPUs despite the fact we are not his designated GS "companion"? The GS desk agent first misunderstood him and said he couldn't use RPU unless he was on the flight (correct) and then said he could use a GPU but seemed unsure. Hopefully he is using RRUs first if he still has them. All he needs to do is book the flights. He doesn't have to fly with you. He "sponsers" you. You don't have to be his GS companion. Just did this twice in the last month.

2. Will we be considered based on my status or his status (as he paid for the tickets) on the upgrade list? I am unsure because I have always booked via my MP account

3. Do GPUs clear before paid/mileage upgrades? The GPUs should clear at time of booking, if there are upgradeable seats available..

4. The flight is June 30, so if he requests the upgrades now, will we not be cleared until T-24? Do GPUs ever clear sooner? Again, book the upgrades now, if there are upgradeable seats available.
This wasn't that complex- similar items discussed here all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.