Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by gonezen
Yes, sorry, YVR. Where to find the Advanced Search Tool? Jeez, I feel like a trainee. Thanks for the help. GZ
The "Advanced Search" option is available on United.com.

In the search engine on the main page, it is at the bottom of the blue "Flight Search" box on the left side of the screen, right near the "Search" button. After you click Advanced Search, if you scroll to the bottom of the next page, there is a heading "How would you like your flight results displayed?". You can check off "MileagePlus Upgrade Awards".

You can also search for R availability using a paid subscription to Expert Flyer or KVS Tool.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...ade-inventory/ is worth book marking as Seth walks you through screen shot by screen shot. Given how infrequently I apply GPUs, it is an indispensable aid.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...ade-inventory/ is worth book marking as Seth walks you through screen shot by screen shot. Given how infrequently I apply GPUs, it is an indispensable aid.
Not any more.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...mation-online/
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 1K, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, AAdvantage Member
Reclaiming RPU if not upgraded on desired segment?

Hi all,

I'm a Premier 1K flying on UA and Copa from SAN-IAH-PTY-SCL in a couple weeks. I requested an upgrade for the entire itinerary using an RPU, which UA allows since all of the planes are 737s or similar planes with domestic-style F cabins (no lie-flats, unfortunately).

Currently the SAN-IAH segment has cleared but I'm still waitlisted on the IAH-PTY segment, and am probably out of luck on the PTY-SCL Copa-operated segment, since they have informed me that the business class on this flight is already sold out and fully booked.

If the IAH-PTY segment doesn't clear, I'd rather reclaim my RPU cert and save it for a longer routing, since SAN-IAH is only a 3 hr flight. Does anyone know if this possible, and if so, how far in advance before the flight would I have to call to do so? For example, could I call in the night before the flight if I haven't cleared and reclaim the cert and go back to economy, or try my luck with a CPU? In the mean time, is there any way for me to check my curent upgrade waitlist status?

Many thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by gonezen
Oops. I pasted the wrong link.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...rch-a-wee-bit/

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...-availability/

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...h-continental/
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
SWU/GPU to Europe?

In recent years, I have been able to upgrade Z fares to Europe with a SWU (I think that's a GPU now). However, in reading the upgrade chart today, it indicates that on flights to Europe, "Global Premier Upgrades are not available on flights booked in fare classes Z, P, S, T, K, L, G or N."

Am I reading this correctly? Is this a change we will not like? Or, a miscommunication on the web site?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by highflier1979
In recent years, I have been able to upgrade Z fares to Europe with a SWU (I think that's a GPU now). However, in reading the upgrade chart today, it indicates that on flights to Europe, "Global Premier Upgrades are not available on flights booked in fare classes Z, P, S, T, K, L, G or N."

Am I reading this correctly? Is this a change we will not like? Or, a miscommunication on the web site?
On UA post-merger, Z Class was not upgradeable using the SWUs, only D and above. If I'm wrong I'm sure my fellow FTers will chime in...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
On UA post-merger, Z Class was not upgradeable using the SWUs, only D and above. If I'm wrong I'm sure my fellow FTers will chime in...
Thanks. I've only flown F post-merger. Too bad...I doubt I will use the GPUs then.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by highflier1979
Thanks. I've only flown F post-merger. Too bad...I doubt I will use the GPUs then.
I do wish I had that problem
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:11 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Z was never upgradeable on UA metal, IIRC, pre-merger or otherwise. For a while, there was a loophole where one could use paper SWU on LH Z fares, though.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Z was never upgradeable on UA metal, IIRC, pre-merger or otherwise. For a while, there was a loophole where one could use paper SWU on LH Z fares, though.
Actually, yet surprisingly, not true. I took several trips and used SWUs to upgrade Z to F.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Hello there I have the following itinerary that have applied one GPU and need someone to clear a couple of doubts:

- SJO-EWR 1079 02/21 Upgrade Cleared
- EWR-FRA 02/21 119 Waitlisted

If the upgrade for 119 doesn't clear will I get my GPU back? Or could I trade it for an RPU if it is not refunded?

What would you recommend?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
NYC-HNL on 1 RPU?

Has anyone successfully made a same-day or short layover turn NYC-HNL and used only one RPU? If so, please indicate routing and whether an agent or .bomb was used.

Thank you.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Withdrawing/Redepositing RPUs/GPUs

For me at least, applying RPUs and GPUs works pretty well on online. Never an issue. It would be nice if UA could make it as easy to withdraw and re-deposit the same.

I will often book coach and apply a RPU or GPU if chances of an CPU upgrade look dicier in the interim after booking. There are times, especially in the last week before the flight when the seats quit disappearing and CPU chances go from dicey to much better (as a 1K) and I want to withdraw the instrument and take my chances. To do this, I have to call in to get it done. Do a lot of people do what I do? If so, this is something that would be nice to do online w/o going thru rep.

1K reps know how to do this, but I didn't have access to 1K # today and called regular line. Rep was surprised anyone would want to remove an upgrade and then she called 1K desk (it exists, contrary to rumors) to find out how to do it. Only took about 3 minutes on phone, but that's 3 minutes they could have used helping someone else if this could be done online.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:30 am

I'm still having a number of issues applying RPU/GPU's online. Pretty much everytime after the last step when I select "purchase" I receive an error. Sometimes the upgrade processes and sometimes it does not. In my case this morning, my reservation does not display the upgrade but almost at the same time R decremented by 1 for both flts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.