Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by cordelli
Not really seeing how this is in any way, shape or form related to what this thread is about.

$180 is a possible and realistic fare. 4 miles to Hong Kong is not a realistic or possible fare, and there's nobody who is not lying who believes they were booking a legitimate fare.

The DOT used common sense in their resolution, the intent of the regulation was not to allow a bunch of internet connected people to take advantage of something they knew was not even conceivable.
There is more to it than that. The ruling stated that because of the price inconsistencies, it could be reasonably inferred that a higher price was due. I am not sure what "reasonable" means, but it sounds like all UA has to do to get out of tickets is make the fares shown inconsistent with each other.

While I think it's unlikely that UA or really any airline will try and take advantage of the this loophole, it remains possible. I think a lot of people on this board would not describe UA management as filled with "good faith," so you can see my concern.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly
Next thing you know, folks will try to justify stealing that which was intended for the blind
A myopic viewpoint at best. What the DOT established in its ruling is that 1) it doesn't look at award charts when determining the validity of the "fare" involved in an award booking, 2) it only looks at what was displayed during the "booking process", and 3) the DOT will consider tickets purchased with miles the same as regular revenue fares when it comes to their jurisdiction over pricing issues. There's now no ambiguity where there was before.

Even though it's obviously easier for some bystanders to sit and point like they were on a school playground, a few important precedents were set in the DOT's answer to the complaints filed in this matter which shouldn't be overlooked.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:41 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
And that ends this thread
I doubt that.

Originally Posted by spring101
I received the same email. It is officially over
Unless someone wastes more time and sues.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:45 pm

Lol at the greedy whiny people in this thread. None of you have a leg to stand on. 4 miles for F to HKG and the DOT response is a farce?

Give me a break. You're all too funny.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Ari
Unless someone wastes more time and sues.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 2:42 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by work2fly
It would have been better if the DOT had called the folks pursuing claims 'thieves' and chastised them for wasting public resources on 'frivolous' claims@:-) At the end of the day, for most, this was about a pricing glitch, posted on the blogoshpere and exploited by people hoping to get award travel at a fraction of the stated price.
This. ^

Originally Posted by cordelli
...there's nobody who is not lying who believes they were booking a legitimate fare.
Indeed. Even the thread title itself acknowledges that.

The DOT used common sense in their resolution, the intent of the regulation was not to allow a bunch of internet connected people to take advantage of something they knew was not even conceivable.
Once again, another well-stated point of view. And it is exactly such "common sense" that so many posters are calling for in other areas of UA's operations -- I guess trying to take advantage of an honest error, and treating UA in a way that one would not want to be treated, is some sort of exemption from common sense.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 2:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
What about all the people in the private Google group. Didn't they get their tickets reinstated?

P.S. - My post is total b.s. I am just challenging the concept that the "private" group got something out of this other than avoiding the legitimate questions being raised about the merits of the claim.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
A myopic viewpoint at best. What the DOT established in its ruling is that 1) it doesn't look at award charts when determining the validity of the "fare" involved in an award booking, 2) it only looks at what was displayed during the "booking process", and 3) the DOT will consider tickets purchased with miles the same as regular revenue fares when it comes to their jurisdiction over pricing issues. There's now no ambiguity where there was before.

Even though it's obviously easier for some bystanders to sit and point like they were on a school playground, a few important precedents were set in the DOT's answer to the complaints filed in this matter which shouldn't be overlooked.
^ The best analysis so far.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:12 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
a few important precedents were set in the DOT's answer to the complaints filed in this matter which shouldn't be overlooked.
I don't know that this was a precedent setting case. I think the DoT looks at each case individually and tries toapply a) the rulesof which they are empowered to act on behalf of, ad b) common sense.

If the precedent that as set was common sense/consumer protection, I think that is what they are empowered to follow, and it is not a new precedent.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by travelkid
^ The best analysis so far.
Agreed. It seems to me that the basis of the DOTs ruling (if that's the right word) is that the zero-dollarness and four-mileness of the fare was not the issue here, rather what was and wasn't a tull displayed during the booking process. I'd like to think that even though UA "won," it has learned a lesson about the regulatory importance of getting it's IT right.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:49 pm

I agree it is interesting in the wording of their response... It would be interesting to see what the ruling would have been if the 4 miles had shown up through out the booking process due to a programming error. (Start to finish, 4 miles for international first from USA to HKG.)

From the response, it could be inferred in the case of an absurd fare from start to finish, the DOT would possibly rule UA could be held liable.

Anyway, UA must be very happy.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Of course, only undying optimists could expect that DOT will rule for the buyers of the 4 mile F tickets. However, there is one thing to learn from this ordeal.

IT glitches that benefit customer at the expense of UA get fixed immediately. IT glitches that benefit UA at the expense of the customer never get fixed.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I agree it is interesting in the wording of their response... It would be interesting to see what the ruling would have been if the 4 miles had shown up through out the booking process due to a programming error. (Start to finish, 4 miles for international first from USA to HKG.)

From the response, it could be inferred in the case of an absurd fare from start to finish, the DOT would possibly rule UA could be held liable.

Anyway, UA must be very happy.
They would have just found different wording. I really don't know why the DOT didn't just come out and say "common sense" which is really the only reason UA won this. The DOT hasn't set any new precedents since every case is looked at differently & this case was just to ridiculous to let stand. Had 40 people taken advantage of this instead of 400 or 4000, UA probably would have eaten the loss or be made to. But the DOT does use common sense (thank God) and no one could let this stand and keep a straight face. DOT rules are there to PROTECT customers from unfair business practices. PERIOD. These regs are not there to help customers take advantage of a situation when COMMON SENSE says these customers KNEW they were getting something they really were not entitled to.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by burlax
Of course, only undying optimists could expect that DOT will rule for the buyers of the 4 mile F tickets. However, there is one thing to learn from this ordeal.

IT glitches that benefit customer at the expense of UA get fixed immediately. IT glitches that benefit UA at the expense of the customer never get fixed.
Amen to that - "pricing glitches" that cause TODs, seat assignments that get scattered, upgraded seats that still show economy, T-24 waitlist drop-offs...the list is never-ending.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
They would have just found different wording. I really don't know why the DOT didn't just come out and say "common sense" which is really the only reason UA won this. The DOT hasn't set any new precedents since every case is looked at differently & this case was just to ridiculous to let stand.
Do you honestly believe that's how government works? Do the words "case law" mean anything to you?

A simple internet search brings up a good definition of "precedent" in a legal sense: Black's Law Dictionary defines "precedent" as a "rule of law established for the first time by a court for a particular type of case and thereafter referred to in deciding similar cases."

It works the same way within government agencies so that parties on all sides of a situation know what to expect from their actions, then be able to plan accordingly. Decisions by government agencies aren't made on the basis of "do we let X-number of people get away with this?" in one example, then rule differently in another based upon their whims. That would be preposterous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.