Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chff
Got this today in the morning;

We have completed our review of United’s conduct regarding its recent Frequent Flyer fare sale to Hong Kong from the United States on its website. Our review found that the actual price of the advertised fare was never clearly stated during the booking process, thereby creating ambiguous circumstances in which it could be reasonably interpreted that the actual price of the fare was significantly more than the amount consumers paid at the time they attempted to purchase the fare, e.g., $40 plus 4 frequent flyer miles. Therefore, we are not able to establish that consumers, in fact, paid the full amount of the offered fare at the time of purchase. Accordingly, the evidence does not support a finding that United engaged in an unfair and deceptive practice in violation of the relevant statute. Please note that, regardless of the outcome of our investigation, consumers are free to pursue claims (e.g., a breach of contract claim) against the airline in an appropriate civil court for monetary damages and other remedies particular to their situation.

Alexander A. Taday III Aviation Industry Analyst

US Department of Transportation
And that ends this thread
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
And that ends this thread
Yup,
I received the same email. It is officially over
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by spring101
Yup,
I received the same email. It is officially over
I didn't - I'm still holding out
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
This has been a farce from beginning to it's thankful end.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:53 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Excellent result! Bravo! ^
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Nothing. Nada. Zip.
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Excellent result! Bravo! ^
Do you have a script setup to automatically insert comments such as this every 30 minutes or so? Or do you actually sit here and post them manually?

Last edited by hobo13; Oct 12, 2012 at 12:03 pm
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Did anyone else notice something interesting happen, when the miles came back into the account when the ticket was refunded? ^ All I can say is that UA really needs an IT overhaul.

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; Oct 12, 2012 at 2:57 pm Reason: TMI
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by hobo13
Do you have a script setup to automatically insert comments such as this every 30 minutes or so? Or do you actually sit here and post them manually?
Apparently he doesn't have anything meaningful to do for his entire day.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by hobo13
you know it's bad when I agree with you. This ruling does allow UA to get out of future mistakes by making the price during booking inconsistent

Example,

Total $400.00

Total with Taxes and Fees $180.00

boom instant inconsistency.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I think it's lousy analysis by the DOT.

I read it as "if the airline creates "ambiguous circumstances" by quoting different fares at different stages, they can cancel your ticket unless you pay the highest fare quoted at any point in the process".

I've found it's common to see the lowest total fare change in your favor as you select segments, particularly for complicated ticket bookings, due to the computational difficulty of flight/fare searches. I see this happen all the time on ITA Software, which provides the fare searching for UA. Although I doubt they will, this DOT reasoning gives UA the ability to do the same "pay up or cancel" with revenue ticekts they did with these HKG award tickets.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by chff
Our review found that the actual price of the advertised fare was never clearly stated during the booking process, thereby creating ambiguous circumstances in which it could be reasonably interpreted that the actual price of the fare was significantly more than the amount consumers paid at the time they attempted to purchase the fare, e.g., $40 plus 4 frequent flyer miles.
Interesting interpretation. I thought those who used the multi-city option did in fact receive a consistent price throughout the booking process. No?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by mduell

I think it's lousy analysis by the DOT.
In some respects I agree.

It would have been better if the DOT had called the folks pursuing claims 'thieves' and chastised them for wasting public resources on 'frivolous' claims@:-)

At the end of the day, for most, this was about a pricing glitch, posted on the blogoshpere and exploited by people hoping to get award travel at a fraction of the stated price.

Next thing you know, folks will try to justify stealing that which was intended for the blind
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat

Cheers,
Adam
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by colpuck
you know it's bad when I agree with you.
Ditto. I've said that a few times during this saga myself!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by colpuck
you know it's bad when I agree with you. This ruling does allow UA to get out of future mistakes by making the price during booking inconsistent

Example,

Total $400.00

Total with Taxes and Fees $180.00

boom instant inconsistency.

Not really seeing how this is in any way, shape or form related to what this thread is about.

$180 is a possible and realistic fare. 4 miles to Hong Kong is not a realistic or possible fare, and there's nobody who is not lying who believes they were booking a legitimate fare.

The DOT used common sense in their resolution, the intent of the regulation was not to allow a bunch of internet connected people to take advantage of something they knew was not even conceivable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.