Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Etiquette with using the priority boarding lane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etiquette with using the priority boarding lane

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Question Etiquette with using the priority boarding lane

Not sure if there is a right or wrong answer, but I wanted to see what other member's thoughts were on using the priority boarding lane once general boarding has begun.

I fly domestically and will sometimes get to the gate in the middle of general boarding. I've always just got in the general line with whatever Group was boarding and waited. Sometimes while I'm waiting in the general line another elite will go to the Priority line, which has no one in it and cut everyone else.

So I just wanted to see what everyone else thought about using the priority lane during general boarding. I am sure there isn't a right or wrong answer, but I am curious.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by DougDons
Not sure if there is a right or wrong answer, but I wanted to see what other member's thoughts were on using the priority boarding lane once general boarding has begun.

I fly domestically and will sometimes get to the gate in the middle of general boarding. I've always just got in the general line with whatever Group was boarding and waited. Sometimes while I'm waiting in the general line another elite will go to the Priority line, which has no one in it and cut everyone else.

So I just wanted to see what everyone else thought about using the priority lane during general boarding. I am sure there isn't a right or wrong answer, but I am curious.
The right answer is that you can do whatever you want.. if you're eligible to use the priority lane then it's yours to use at any time during boarding (as long as it's after your boarding group number has been called). I have done it many times when arriving at the gate while boarding is in progress. However if you prefer to get in the regular line and wait you're free to do that as well. You should never feel bad about using the priority lane if you're eligible..it's a benefit of your elite status.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
That's what it's there for, and now it's there for a lot more people (good thing or bad thing depending on your POV)

I'd use it if I were in your shoes
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K (plus a few others)
Agreed. That's what the priority lane is for. I often don't get there at the beginning, but that doesn't mean I fancy standing in line
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
IMHO, I see no reason why (if you are eligble to use the priority line) that you can't just board using that line after general boarding. Yes, you may be "jumping the line" but most people pay for the privilege (either flying alot, credit card or some other way that I can't think of right now).
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:46 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
The right answer is that you can do whatever you want.. if you're eligible to use the priority lane then it's yours to use at any time during boarding (as long as it's after your boarding group number has been called). I have done it many times when arriving at the gate while boarding is in progress. However if you prefer to get in the regular line and wait you're free to do that as well. You should never feel bad about using the priority lane if you're eligible..it's a benefit of your elite status.
I agree. There have been times when I've been travelling without a need to board early (normally sans-carryon luggage) and don't mind waiting in the general boarding line. Sometimes, the agent has said "oh, you could have used the elite line" but I figure it's slightly more work for them to stop boarding, open the elite line for me, and then close it. There have been other times when I needed the benefit and made use of it.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i agree with everyone else. as long as it's after your boarding group, go for it. if, however, you're one of those toolboxes who has "8" stamped on your boarding pass and you try to use it when group 2 is currently boarding, i wish you a bad day, get 11 stubbed toes and dropped calls for a month.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
i agree with everyone else. as long as it's after your boarding group, go for it. if, however, you're one of those toolboxes who has "8" stamped on your boarding pass and you try to use it when group 2 is currently boarding, i wish you a bad day, get 11 stubbed toes and dropped calls for a month.
And we all have to feel bad for the first time, or close to first time flyers, who are waiting for section 27B to be called to board.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Its how you do it

Status? Priority? Sure if you have it, you've either earned it or paid for it. That said, anytime I trump my status card, I try to do it with a smile and a good attitude. Remember life's golden rule and you'll never go wrong. Lastly, when that super important person pushes past me with attitude, I always remind him that we ALL takeoff and LAND at the same time, hoping he'll feel like an ... for pushing past people. One can only hope!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
It's intended to be a way for elites to 'cut' into the line politely. So there is a 'right' answer, which is you can use it anytime.

Of course you don't HAVE to...
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
If you think about it from a purely operational engineering point of view the ONLY reason to have 2 lines is to bypass the general one. I realize that it also seems to be an ego thing, but if you really wanted to look at this from a mathematical point of view, you would use only one line in strict order of the BG with the extra provision that once the currently boarding group number was greater than yours, you could use the bypass. You could also make a small optimization by having the very first boarding group initially line up in the bypass line while the second boarding group lined up in the general line and start by emptying the bypass line first. Now here is the amazing thing about this optimization - it is almost EXACTLY what the old UA boarding process did! How about that - there actually was a real engineering based reason why the old UA boarding process worked better than anything they have invented since with their bizarre attempts to emulate Lake Woboggon's every passenger is above average.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Certainly you should use it if you're eligible. It's definitely "within etiquette."
But you say you saw elites go to the priority line with no one on it, and cut in front of everyone else. Who are they cutting if there's no one on the line?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: VAG
My policy is that if I'm not there at the start, I'll wait 'til the very end. Stroll on board after everyone else has sat down.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I use it for what it is - If I am showing up while boarding is in progress I use it and have never had an issue. Though I have had a pair of eyes or two drill into the back of my head
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input, really appreciate it. That's what I was thinking, but didn't want to cause a scene if it was frowned upon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.