Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Etiquette with using the priority boarding lane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etiquette with using the priority boarding lane

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by CO777DAL
Wow, people actually think about this?! I know I'm going to sound like an ..., but I don't give a flying you know what, what the Kettles think. A lot of times I'm running late and I'm like excuse me make way for me and my entourage. Sometimes you really got to push through them to get to the blue carpet. I walk down the blue carpet, hand the agent my boarding pass, cut the Kettles, take my first class seat, get my PDB, and don't care one ounce what the Kettles think. If they give me a really nasty look I just say Honey, I think you need to see a doctor, because there is something wrong with your face. By then, usually they are standing there in amazement with the jaw on floor and I go on my merry way.
Elite status does not give one permission to be a jerk.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:11 pm
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Yes. It was met with no response.

Here's the new boarding order - note that Global Services is listed twice:
ahhh. I havent flown outside of biz since the change so i had no idea what boarding group i am now.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
In my experience, most of the time if I get there when they are calling group 3 and above there are so many people crowded infront of boarding area even if I wanted to use the premier line I'd would have to jump over everyone else to get to it. Happens most at LAX/ORD/SFO (domestic)...

That being said, I try to only travel with a brief case that can be fit under the seat so no need to rush to board if I'm somehow not there at the gate during boarding group 1.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1.4MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
The Premier Access lane is there to be used by those who are eligible and one should not feel guilty or shy about taking advantage of one of your perks.

Many times I have arrived when they're at General boarding and I go straight to the priority lane. The GA finishes boarding the General member then unlatches the belt in the priority lane, boards me, then resumes with General boarding. All totally guilt-free.

One major annoyance, though, is before boarding begins and people who don't listen or read signs and the end result is that the priority lane is clogged with people who aren't eligible or not even close to being boarded yet. Admittedly, at some airports and gates, there is just simply no room, so the clutter is "unavoidable," but in most cases, it is because people just don't listen to the announcement and/or read the signs.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA MM
Jump queue after your group has boarded?

Yesterday came into term B at IAH on a late UX flight. Ran, trained, ran again to a far E gate for my mainline connection, with my family. Our BPs said boarding group 2. When we arrived, group 3 or 4 was boarding. I walked through the normal group 2 cattle chute and at a pause (no pushing or anything) went up to the GA to have our BPs scanned. I did turn and explain ("We're in group two, our flight was late, it boarded already").

Was this boorish behavior on my part? Should I have gone to the end of the queue?

The good news was that I saw shining at me from the podium a BP with my own name and the magical "1A" printed on it
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Why would you need to explain?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
There's no problem at all doing that and agents will stop processing later groups to allow you access when you do s.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Perfectly acceptable and cordial behavior on your part! Technically group 1
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
In my experience if your group as already boarded and your late you get in line with the next group. I have watched FC passengers show up into Group 2 and they are forced to wait. It doesn't matter if it's late flight or just plain late to the airport.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
In my experience if your group as already boarded and your late you get in line with the next group. I have watched FC passengers show up into Group 2 and they are forced to wait. It doesn't matter if it's late flight or just plain late to the airport.
I'm always in group 1 and I've never been forced to wait if I arrive after group 2 (or higher) has started to board. I'd expect that for groups 3 4 and 5 perhaps but nt for the 'Premier' groups, 1 and 2.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I do this all the time and it's a great thing that the 5 groups have clearly marked lanes

You are definitely entitled to use your designated lane whenever it is convenient for you
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:45 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
No need to explain to the other pax boarding.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
I would absolutely do this. In fact, I have many times. Becomes really helpful on international flights, where you could wait 20 minutes to get on a 747 if you hop to the end of the line. Also helps that on int'l routes, the business / first / group 1 line is well separated from the economy line.

No need to explain to anyone. If you were not supposed to board, the gate agents would show you to the back of the appropriate in (in theory).
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
never ever happened to me. This p.m. we came late to our BOS flight at IAH due to a late connection and they were boarding group 4. Of course they stopped boarding group 4 as we approached the gate through group 1. I have never seen it any other way.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
If I miss Group 1, I usually go to the end of the Group 1 lane and wait for a few seconds. The GA almost always notices and says "Group 1?" at which point I'll approach him/her to board. If the GA doesn't notice or doesn't say anything, I guess I just sort of merge with the currently boarding group. Never had an issue or felt uncomfortable doing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.