Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Etiquette with using the priority boarding lane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etiquette with using the priority boarding lane

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
In my experience if your group as already boarded and your late you get in line with the next group. I have watched FC passengers show up into Group 2 and they are forced to wait. It doesn't matter if it's late flight or just plain late to the airport.
Luckily my experience has been the exact opposite. I arrive in the Group 1 line often after a later group has started boarding and I always get scanned without much of a wait. I think that is pretty much the point of the lines.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
In my experience if your group as already boarded and your late you get in line with the next group. I have watched FC passengers show up into Group 2 and they are forced to wait. It doesn't matter if it's late flight or just plain late to the airport.
Hmm; I have never had that experience, and I'm arriving in the middle of boarding 75% of the time or more. If it happened, I think I'd write my first ever letter to Jeffy.

In the PMUA days, I'd use the red carpet, and the GA would stop boarding others, unhook the rope, and scan my BP. These days, I just use the Group 1 lane, and the GA takes my BP as soon as she's done with the BPs already in hand.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by repcool
Luckily my experience has been the exact opposite. I arrive in the Group 1 line often after a later group has started boarding and I always get scanned without much of a wait. I think that is pretty much the point of the lines.
Likewise. GAs have always been on the ball with letting me through if I board after my group finishes.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
That's why I hate boarding configure that are too tight for the premier lines. Just because you have a late connection or want to grab a snack shouldn't mean that you miss out and have to wait with all the people qued up.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by PushingTin
That's why I hate boarding configure that are too tight for the premier lines. Just because you have a late connection or want to grab a snack shouldn't mean that you miss out and have to wait with all the people qued up.
Where have you seen this? Every UA boarding area I've seen in the last few years has at least two lines - one for Premier (1+2) and one for everyne else (3,4,5).
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G
Reminds me of a time I showed up for a 5 a.m. flight from PDX-SFO and group 3 or 4 was boarding, so I jumped the queue going down lane 1, as I was entitled--no problem with that--however I got halfway down the jetway before the GA came running after me to say I was boarding the wrong flight (it was PDX-DEN, I wasn't paying attention... oops). I had to do the walk of shame back out past everyone I had just cut. I shrugged and said, "Sorry, haven't had coffee yet."
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Never ever had an issue. I've walked down the Group 1 lane when later groups are boarding and had the GA hold up the others on my behalf many times.

Perfectly acceptable. No worries.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by pdx1M
How about that - there actually was a real engineering based reason why the old UA boarding process worked better than anything they have invented since with their bizarre attempts to emulate Lake Woboggon's every passenger is above average.
I thought only the children of Lake Wobegon were above average..
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: UA Gold, US, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Where have you seen this? Every UA boarding area I've seen in the last few years has at least two lines - one for Premier (1+2) and one for everyne else (3,4,5).
I agree. When SHD and LWB were United Express until a few months ago, with service by 34-seaters usually occupied by fewer than a dozen passengers, even they had those two lines. I can't think when I haven't seen them.

I also agree with the general attitude in this merged thread. My understanding is that the premier lane exists so that premier members who arrive during general boarding can use it. I've used this privilege a few times when a tight connection got me to the gate late. I try to make it easy on the GA by holding my boarding pass so that it's visible and waiting to be waved through, and I try generally not to be a jerk. There's definitely a difference, which a few in this thread have alluded to, between a DYKWIA and someone respectfully using a privilege (of status, that they've paid for, or otherwise).
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Originally Posted by repcool
Likewise. GAs have always been on the ball with letting me through if I board after my group finishes.
+1. I almost always arrive @ my departure when boarding has started &go straight to grp 1 lane & wait to be called. GAs have always performed this function correctly by holding the next person & calling me (&my family when applicable)
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
+1. I almost always arrive @ my departure when boarding has started &go straight to grp 1 lane & wait to be called. GAs have always performed this function correctly by holding the next person & calling me (&my family when applicable)
Exactly! In my experience, this something where UA cnsistently gets it right at all stations at all times.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is this your experience or opinion? I would be very shocked if a GA told you to join the next unboarded group if you're in G1 or G2 - they always have priority. Now if you're in G3, and they are boarding G5, can you walk up the empty G3 lane and cut off G5? I don't know the protocol for that....but if I arrive late, I don't hesitate to walk up the G1 lane and no GA has ever made me wait - everyone either motions me to approach, or actually barks at the waiting minions to stop and calls me over.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
I've always walked down the group 1 line after boarding had started and they will finish the passenger they're scanning and then scan me before continuing the boarding process. If I remember correctly wasn't the big sales pitch from UA on this boarding group change was so that Premiers could board at their leisure rather than stalk the gate?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:09 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
DEN for the Express flights boarded downstairs is like that. Yeah, they have the numbered lanes upstairs... and they call boarding by number... but then you go downstairs and wait some more, and no numbered lanes there. (I suppose sometimes they actually really are ready to board downstairs, but it's happened to me less than 10% of the time.)

I think some of the smaller CA stations also don't have the separate lanes, though they'll usually call nonetheless by group--although again, I've had many call "all groups" if they're running the least bit behind.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by p924s87
I've always walked down the group 1 line after boarding had started and they will finish the passenger they're scanning and then scan me before continuing the boarding process. If I remember correctly wasn't the big sales pitch from UA on this boarding group change was so that Premiers could board at their leisure rather than stalk the gate?
Bolding mine--

Premiers are still going to stalk the gate so that there is adequate space in the overhead bins for carry-on bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.