Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United comply with the IATA interline Most Significant Carrier baggage fee rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does United comply with the IATA interline Most Significant Carrier baggage fee rule?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by abcx
Um yes, it is accurate. DoT gives UA the flexibility to either use their bag allowance or the MSC, as defined by IATA, allowance.
+1

Originally Posted by fflyer1
Thanks.
I havent made the reservation yet, because I want to avoid additional fees...

So we agree, that most likely UA rules will apply. Since this is an international ticket, which rules will apply? UA international economy rules? UA international business rules (as the highest class in the trip is a C-award) or UA domestic Y rules (no free bag?)

Thanks.
Futhermore I will have 2 layovers of 22 hrs each. Is this a problem for baggage interlining? I fear that I might have to pay domestic Y baggage check fee twice (in LAX and in CLE) in the worst case (if interlining is not possible for connections that long)
Most likely they'll give you the international C allowance as it's a C ticket. Do M&M awards allow you to waitlist/switch-in domestic F if the fare buckets open up on an int'l C award.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by alex_b
Most likely they'll give you the international C allowance as it's a C ticket. Do M&M awards allow you to waitlist/switch-in domestic F if the fare buckets open up on an int'l C award.

yes, but the change fee might be more expensive for 2 pax than the checked baggage fee :-)
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Um yes, it is accurate. DoT gives UA the flexibility to either use their bag allowance or the MSC, as defined by IATA, allowance.
Care to cite?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Care to cite?
Read the rule: http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/EAP...-2012final.pdf

Pg 34, point 35.

And also on FT before:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18518397-post7.html
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Thanks - apologies - and I stand corrected.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:34 pm

And so far as we've been able to tell on FT, UA choses not to use the IATA MSC provision.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:54 am

So we agree, that most likely UA rules will apply. Since this is an international ticket, which rules will apply? UA international economy rules? UA international business rules (as the highest class in the trip is a C-award) or UA domestic Y rules (no free bag?)

Thanks.
Futhermore I will have 2 layovers of 22 hrs each. Is this a problem for baggage interlining? I fear that I might have to pay domestic Y baggage check fee twice (in LAX and in CLE) in the worst case (if interlining is not possible for connections that long)
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:01 pm

Baggage question-Middle East

When flying from DFW to Jeddah with Lufthansa we got 2 bags per person but when checking Lufthansa website I read this.Applies only to flights to/from destination airports served by Lufthansa in the United States (Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, New York, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia, Detroit, Miami and Orlando) and only for routes via Europe. Applies to the whole journey regardless of stopovers. So we are traveling back to DFW so the same rule would apply correct? When I look at my reservation on the United webpage it says first bag is free then the second is 75 Euros. Which one is correct?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Darunner2010
When flying from DFW to Jeddah with Lufthansa we got 2 bags per person but when checking Lufthansa website I read this.Applies only to flights to/from destination airports served by Lufthansa in the United States (Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, New York, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia, Detroit, Miami and Orlando) and only for routes via Europe. Applies to the whole journey regardless of stopovers. So we are traveling back to DFW so the same rule would apply correct? When I look at my reservation on the United webpage it says first bag is free then the second is 75 Euros. Which one is correct?
DOT rules mandate that all legs in the itinerary carry the same allowance (provided the US is your origin, destination or transit point on a single ticket), so you get two bags to come home again too. If you have issues at JED then get documentation and write to LH copying in the DOT, you'll get a pretty swift refund.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:45 pm

Thanks for your advice alex_b
Old Oct 22, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
Hope you folks can help me clarify baggage allowance on the following:

Flying in Y, will be a Premier Gold when travelling
Outbound YYZ-EWR-SFO-HKG
Inbound HKG-NRT-IAD-YYZ

Inbound HKG-NRT is a UA codeshare operated by Air Japan (now that UA doesn't operate HKG-NRT). Air Japan is a subsidiary of ANA, and uses ANA's NH code. However, technically (as per UA Premier Line) Air Japan is not part of the Star Alliance.

ANA web site says Y class 1@50lb, but the *G benefits, IF APPLICABLE, will bring that up to 2@50lb. Premier Gold gets 3@70lb. This is a revenue ticket, ticketed and booked by UA, with the check-in segment a UA codeshare.

United website shows when plugging in my confirmation 3@70lb outbound, and 1@50lb inbound, but when you check the additional baggage box, it shows 3rd bag at $0.

United Premier Line (and web site) says 1@50lb. ANA customer service line says *G applies.

Do I get 1@50lb, 2@50lb or 3@70lb?

Clear as mud.

TIA.

Last edited by vkykam; Oct 22, 2013 at 3:48 pm
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by vkykam
Hope you folks can help me clarify baggage allowance on the following:

Flying in Y, will be a Premier Gold when travelling
Outbound YYZ-EWR-SFO-HKG
Inbound HKG-NRT-IAD-YYZ

Inbound HKG-NRT is a UA codeshare operated by Air Japan (now that UA doesn't operate HKG-NRT). Air Japan is a subsidiary of ANA, and uses ANA's NH code. However, technically (as per UA Premier Line) Air Japan is not part of the Star Alliance.

ANA web site says Y class 1@50lb, but the *G benefits, IF APPLICABLE, will bring that up to 2@50lb. Premier Gold gets 3@70lb. This is a revenue ticket, ticketed and booked by UA, with the check-in segment a UA codeshare.

United website shows when plugging in my confirmation 3@70lb outbound, and 1@50lb inbound, but when you check the additional baggage box, it shows 3rd bag at $0.

United Premier Line (and web site) says 1@50lb. ANA customer service line says *G applies.

Do I get 1@50lb, 2@50lb or 3@70lb?

Clear as mud.

TIA.
My understanding is you get the allowance from your first checked in flight for the entire journey.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by alex_b
My understanding is you get the allowance from your first checked in flight for the entire journey.
My guess is you get Premier Gold outbound, and if lucky, *G out of HKG. At worst, Air Japan will subject you to their baggage rules as Hawaiian Air does on UA codeshares (flying partner, but not *A member). My guess is ANA agent is right - you'll probably get the *A Gold benefit out of HKG.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
I'd like to know how the MSC rule applies to my trip. So, who is the MSC here in my case?

Business Award from BOM to SJC. I am going to be checking bags all the way.

BOM (SQ: C/I) > Change Planes.
Connect time in Singapore, Singapore (SIN) is 2 hr 10 mn.
SIN (NH/ ANA: C/I) >
Change Planes. Connect time in Tokyo, Japan (NRT - Narita) is 1 hr 25 mn.
NRT (NH/ ANA: C/I) > SJC

What is my baggage allowance?

When I called SQ to get my seat assignments I just asked the person what was my luggage allowance and he said one bag at certain weight. When I looked at SQ website I realized there is a US and non-US "write up" there with the US matching 2 x 70lb for Business. Did he just make a mistake or do I need to be concerned?

What can I do to ensure I do not get hassled during check-in at BOM? When I booked the award and saw it on UA website it showed me 2 bags (32 kg/ 70lb).

Baggage allowance and charges for this itinerary as per my Receipt is the same as shown below.
Code:
Baggage fees are per traveler

In compliance with U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, checked baggage policies for your entire itinerary are determined by Singapore Airlines. Visit united.com/baggage for more information.

Origin and destination for checked baggage	1st bag	2nd bag	Max wt / dim per piece
11/11/2013 Mumbai (Bombay), India (BOM) to San Jose, CA (SJC)	0.00 USD	0.00 USD	70.0lbs (32.0kg) - 62.0in (158.0cm)
Old May 3, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
I booked an award Y ticket from UA for my nephew flying HKG to DEN via NRT (Fiirst leg HKG-NRT by ANA and the 2nd leg NRT-DEN by UA). My nephew has no status at all. It's obvious that the MSC is UA but my nephew is going to check in at ANA counter in HKG. UA award ticket says the first bag is free but the 2nd bag will cost him $100. If the MSC rules apply, it might save him $100 for the 2nd checked bags since UA allows 2 free bags. Anyone who has any idea about this situation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.