Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United comply with the IATA interline Most Significant Carrier baggage fee rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does United comply with the IATA interline Most Significant Carrier baggage fee rule?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, CX Gold, SPG Plat
MSC and UA - SQ

Hi all, some opinions needed please !
I'll be travelling soon:
- ORD-LAX on UA, economy - Am *A Gold so allowance should be 32kgs
- LAX-SIN on SQ (same day, no stopover), business - Business + PPS = 60 kgs allowed.
There are plenty of comments here about the MSC and UA not complying with it (and the UA website is silent on this)... I will have have than the 32kgs allowed on UA, can I expect luggages in excess of 32kgs be free when on my UA leg ORD-LAX ?
Thanks a lot !
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Durian
Hi all, some opinions needed please !
I'll be travelling soon:
- ORD-LAX on UA, economy - Am *A Gold so allowance should be 32kgs
- LAX-SIN on SQ (same day, no stopover), business - Business + PPS = 60 kgs allowed.
There are plenty of comments here about the MSC and UA not complying with it (and the UA website is silent on this)... I will have than the 32kgs allowed on UA, can I expect luggages in excess of 32kgs be free when on my UA leg ORD-LAX ?
Thanks a lot !
Are you sure LAX-SIN is only 60 kg? Usually US itineraries are piece-based.

As *Gold, you will get 3 bags x 32 kg on UA, so no issues.
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...edBaggage.aspx
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:09 pm

I have booked my ticket using Aeroplan points and . I have contacted EVA CSR many time regarding on the baggage allowance and I am not getting a firm answer. My trip is as follow:

YYC -> SFO (with United) same day connecting SFO -> KIX (with United)
KIX -> TPE (with EVA) same day connecting TPE -> HKG (with EVA)
HKG -> TPE (with EVA) same day connecting TPE -> SFO (with EVA) same day connecting SFO -> YYC (with United)

My question is, on my return trip from HKG to YYC, what is the baggage allowance that I have?

I have contacted Air Canada/Aeroplan, the agent said EVA rules apply. However, I was told by EVA agent that only 1 bag of 20 kg is allowed. Since I am starting my trip NOT from US, the US rules as "First Market Carrier" rule doesn't apply to my case. I believe "IATA interline Most Significant Carrier baggage fee rule" applies to me case.
From EVA website, it clearly states that
According to IATA Resolution 302, a step-by-step process to that determines which carrier’s rule to apply for an interline journey, where, for each checked portion:
1.If carrier provisions are the same, such provision will apply
2.If different, apply provisions of “Most Significant Carrier” (MSC)
In case this is a code share flight, apply the provision of operating carrier

I believe for my return trip, EVA international bagguage poliy applies, which is 2 bags free of 23 kg each.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ah Cho
I have booked my ticket using Aeroplan points and . I have contacted EVA CSR many time regarding on the baggage allowance and I am not getting a firm answer. My trip is as follow:

YYC -> SFO (with United) same day connecting SFO -> KIX (with United)
KIX -> TPE (with EVA) same day connecting TPE -> HKG (with EVA)
HKG -> TPE (with EVA) same day connecting TPE -> SFO (with EVA) same day connecting SFO -> YYC (with United)

My question is, on my return trip from HKG to YYC, what is the baggage allowance that I have?

I have contacted Air Canada/Aeroplan, the agent said EVA rules apply. However, I was told by EVA agent that only 1 bag of 20 kg is allowed. Since I am starting my trip NOT from US, the US rules as "First Market Carrier" rule doesn't apply to my case. I believe "IATA interline Most Significant Carrier baggage fee rule" applies to me case.
From EVA website, it clearly states that
According to IATA Resolution 302, a step-by-step process to that determines which carrier’s rule to apply for an interline journey, where, for each checked portion:
1.If carrier provisions are the same, such provision will apply
2.If different, apply provisions of “Most Significant Carrier” (MSC)
In case this is a code share flight, apply the provision of operating carrier

I believe for my return trip, EVA international bagguage poliy applies, which is 2 bags free of 23 kg each.
What does the UA PNR say when you pull it?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
What does the UA PNR say when you pull it?
this is what UA says in cases like this
For flight segments operated by carriers other than United or United Express, please refer to that airline's policies.
If your itinerary begins with a codeshare flight or with another airline as the marketing carrier, the allowance and charges may differ.
and other similar statements declining to answer non-UA metal operation.

truthful perhaps, but not very helpful

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 3, 2013 at 4:42 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:10 pm

Look up DoT 399.87. Should supersede any UA verbiage to the contrary...
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by abcx
Look up DoT 399.87. Should supersede any UA verbiage to the contrary...
the issue here is not UA's actions but EVA's actions (as the first check-in carrier on the return).
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:29 am

^^ It doesn't matter. You can come back to the US and file a DoT complaint against BR and claim a refund. You might have to pay the bag fees in TPE and then hold tight for a few months before you get the refund through the DoT though...the rules are crystal clear.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
^^ It doesn't matter. You can come back to the US and file a DoT complaint against BR and claim a refund. You might have to pay the bag fees in TPE and then hold tight for a few months before you get the refund through the DoT though...the rules are crystal clear.
+1 - and take a printout of the showing you baggage allowance (which should be on aeroplan receipt).
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:21 pm

Which rules (marketing carrier?) will be enforced in these cases:

LAX-CLE (UA,Y) - NYC (UA,C) - FRA (SQ,C)

LAX-CLE (UA,Y) - NYC (UA,Y) - FRA (SQ,C)

All connections are layover with ~22hrs
Marketing carrier (?) is Lufthansa because I am booked on a M&M award....

Last edited by fflyer1; Jul 24, 2013 at 12:26 pm
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:23 pm

Depends what UA enforces at check-in. They could use SQ bag rules as it is the MSC but they're probably more likely to use UA rules.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Depends what UA enforces at check-in. They could use SQ bag rules as it is the MSC but they're probably more likely to use UA rules.
My experience on an NZ ticket with NZ as the MSC but originating on UA was that UA rules prevailed.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does the UA PNR say when you pull it up?

As for MSC - this is not accurate. DOT overrules IATA when the ticket touches US soil. MSC is marketing carrier - so LH rules could be the MSC.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:05 pm

Thanks.
I havent made the reservation yet, because I want to avoid additional fees...

So we agree, that most likely UA rules will apply. Since this is an international ticket, which rules will apply? UA international economy rules? UA international business rules (as the highest class in the trip is a C-award) or UA domestic Y rules (no free bag?)

Thanks.
Futhermore I will have 2 layovers of 22 hrs each. Is this a problem for baggage interlining? I fear that I might have to pay domestic Y baggage check fee twice (in LAX and in CLE) in the worst case (if interlining is not possible for connections that long)
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
What does the UA PNR say when you pull it up?

As for MSC - this is not accurate. DOT overrules IATA when the ticket touches US soil. MSC is marketing carrier - so LH rules could be the MSC.
Um yes, it is accurate. DoT gives UA the flexibility to either use their bag allowance or the MSC, as defined by IATA, allowance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.