Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by MJ-bos
Yup... I completely expect that to happen. Loyalty is not rewarded or valued any longer and the Continental has done a marvelous job teaching us all that lesson.

Just finished up booking my flights for the next few weeks. 8 AA and 2 US... I'm jumping into the deep end ... hope the water is warm.
I think it ends up being the same all around. AA has absolutely capitalized on UA's short term oversight by offering the status matching. However in a year or so if the AA/US merger/takeover goes through, it's not unlikly folks will jump ship to UA, and round and round we go.

For now I'm juts sticking it out. As a lowly 2P most of my post 3/3 travel has gone fairly smooth and the two IRROPS I had got protected pretty well as long as I was still pro-active and knew what I wanted (CS was willing to work with me still). The fact is most of my long hauls are TPAC so I just choose to fly other *A carriers with better products anyway and still get my UA miles and status.
Old May 22, 2012, 4:13 pm
In Memorium

Programs: UA 1K-3.5MM; AA Exec. Plat.; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Platinum
So sad to see and hear. For years I tried to allign my schedule to make sure I could be on a UA flight, and I felt appreciated as a 1K. No more.
Old May 22, 2012, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
So to label us, we are a bunch of "Wilson's". Inanimate objects they would like to have help them through their day (Quarters/Year), won't talk back, don't feel entitled, can be pulled out and idolized when it fits their need, can be kicked around for enjoyment/exercise and snuggled with at bedtime to know our dollars are still there.
This assumes there are no other airlines for all us Wilsons to roll over to.
Old May 22, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
I'm surprised he didn't use the term "self loading cargo" instead of passenger/customer, as I think this is more of what all the airlines think of their passengers/customers.

I don't think United is alone in this opinion of their customers, and I'm sure this is expressed in the break rooms in just about every airport by probably every airline employee. I'm sure there is some truth to it, however if you are the head of a company that feels compelled to say this in public, then you should seek another line of work.

If you don't like dealing with the public, get out of the service business, and find something where you are better suited. Also management leads by example, and having disdain for your customer base doesn't exactly make the situation better, any more than pouring gasoline on a fire to put it out.

The airlines created this situation by providing horrible service, then they created loyalty programs where the more you flew the less terribly they treated you. They promised upgrades the more you fly, and then after you flew millions of miles, and asked for an upgrade they tell you that you are acting over entitled. They created the system, made the rules, and are now trying to back out of this system. Great business model, and they wonder why they are going broke.
Old May 22, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AVIS President's Club
Originally Posted by schneider4
If this is true, it's astonishing to me. What possible motive would drive a business to deprive their front-line staff of knowledge about their most loyal customers?
My understanding is that current status (MM indicator if any is no longer included) is still shown for customers in C and F, but has been removed from the manifest for customers in Y.
Old May 22, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by MrColdShower
It's amazing to read this thread and the hostility toward the Mileage Plus program that COdbaUA has managed to generate. I am reminded of fozz's podcast when he interviewed Scott O'Leary (then posting as CO Insider) three years ago. Scott was asked about implementing an SWU program on Continental.
It's also amazing how many UA flyers keep thinking they deserve more benefits. I think few people would disagree that UA's ffp is second only to AA in the world in terms of benefits. Are frequent flyers of other programs constantly complaining like this?
Old May 22, 2012, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by blug
It's also amazing how many UA flyers keep thinking they deserve more benefits. I think few people would disagree that UA's ffp is second only to AA in the world in terms of benefits. Are frequent flyers of other programs constantly complaining like this?
Where did you get the idea that UA FFers were looking for MORE benefits?
As for UA being 2nd only to AA, that might have true last year. How many believe that now?
Old May 22, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by c502cid
Now I "glanced" at a manifest yesterday. I was listed as 1K, but not as a MM. There was a GS and a 1K in first, both of us noted in the manifest.
It would make some sense for UA to exclude the newly designated "Million Milers" from the list. First, there are a lot more than there used to be. Second, IMHO UA deliberately cheapened that meaning.

UA formerly denoted "Million Mile Flyers," and PremEx discusses the distinction in this June 2000 post as follows:

Code Share flights do not count towards Million Mile Flyer status. Only pure United, United Shuttle and United Express credited flight miles count.

If I might explain a bit of subtle variation between Million Mile programs amongst some airlines: Delta and many other airlines refer to their qualified customers as "Million Milers." United marketing told me that their choice of the term "Million Mile Flyer" was very deliberate. It means that the member is a United million mile flyer. Bonus miles, segments, code share, alliance status miles, or any other status bonus that may apply as an occasional promotion, do not count towards Million Mile Flyer status.

Of course, as with anything United there is an exception. Your 500 flight mile minimum on United and United Express flights do count towards Million Mile Flyer status. So truthfully there are United Million Mile Flyers that have not actually flown a million air miles on United.
UA has, in this case, changed the title of the "over-entitled" and rendered the category "Million Miler" largely meaningless.
Old May 22, 2012, 5:44 pm

Feel free to use my Ex-United "Over-Entitled 1K" luggage tag artwork....
Old May 22, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM Hyatt Globalist (Lifetime) AA ExPlat (real), Lifetime UniClub (not from the 2MM).
Originally Posted by Fredd
It would make some sense for UA to exclude the newly designated "Million Milers" from the list. First, there are a lot more than there used to be. Second, IMHO UA deliberately cheapened that meaning.

snip

UA has, in this case, changed the title of the "over-entitled" and rendered the category "Million Miler" largely meaningless.
I am not sure they rendered it meaningless. I hit 2 Million under United's rules and am almost at 3 Million (having received about 300,000 from the switch). While there are certainly more now, 2 Million, 3 Million and up are still a rare group.
Old May 22, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by majortom
Years ago I had a conversation with Graham Atkinson (then SVP of International) about improving service levels at United. He said that every survey they did said that people would not pay for higher service. I argued then (and still believe) that their surveys were wrong, because what they were getting was people's reaction that they would increase prices first and maybe increase service later.

Hyatt, Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, etc. are able to charge more for their rooms than Motel 6, mostly because of higher levels of service. I know that I routinely pay more to shop at stores that provide me premium service. I would happily do that for an airline that did the same.
Asking someone if they will pay more IMO is going to get a negative reply in general. When you are running a business you have to make this kind of decision upfront: are you going to be Walmart or Nordstrom? If you take such a survey in Walmart people would say no. At Nordstrom they would just look at you kind of funny because if they weren't already getting better service they wouldn't be shopping there.
Old May 22, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Michael D
Asking someone if they will pay more IMO is going to get a negative reply in general. When you are running a business you have to make this kind of decision upfront: are you going to be Walmart or Nordstrom? If you take such a survey in Walmart people would say no. At Nordstrom they would just look at you kind of funny because if they weren't already getting better service they wouldn't be shopping there.
+1 to that

Having written a LOT of research questionnaires over the years, I can certainly attest to the fact that figuring out what people are and are not willing to pay a premium for has to be posed / framed in the right way... otherwise you're going to get misleading results that could easily suggest that people aren't willing to pay a premium for premium services
Old May 22, 2012, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
My concern is that UA wants to have it both ways with the W fares. Ultimately it the benefit of SWUs become virtually meaningless. Specifically, they want me to pay more for a W fare for a *chance* to upgrade while at the same time rendering it even more unlikely I will be able to upgrade because they are giving others TOD offers.

I'm finding out how this operates right now. IAD-DXB flight and almost 20 open seats in C. Wonder if I will get a TOD offer or it will go to kettle.
The way the flight's revenue and operating margin is "maximized" is by getting you to play the expensive upgrade lottery game but sell the upgrade to others who haven't played the expensive upgrade lottery game you would be playing if taking the UA bait.
Old May 22, 2012, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The way the flight's revenue and operating margin is "maximized" is by getting you to play the expensive upgrade lottery game but sell the upgrade to others who haven't played the expensive upgrade lottery game you would be playing if taking the UA bait.
You forgot the T-24 cut off where everyone is now dumped until Checkin.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM Hyatt Globalist (Lifetime) AA ExPlat (real), Lifetime UniClub (not from the 2MM).
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
+1 to that

Having written a LOT of research questionnaires over the years, I can certainly attest to the fact that figuring out what people are and are not willing to pay a premium for has to be posed / framed in the right way... otherwise you're going to get misleading results that could easily suggest that people aren't willing to pay a premium for premium services
That was what I said. :-) It is no different from the Walkman story, where the market research said it would not sell, but was in fact one of the most successful new product categories in history.

For example, if you were able to pay for a dedicated check in position and security line that meant that you could arrive at the airport 30 minutes before your flight and would guaranteed of making your flight (confirmed First Class, with space in the overhead reserved), would you do it? I know that I would.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.