Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM, AA (EXP), SPG Platinum, Priority Club, Ambassador Platinum, Global Entry
candy

bottom line is when you give a person a piece of candy everytime you see them year after year, you develop an entitlement atmosphere....right or wrong this is human nature
Old May 21, 2012, 9:05 pm

What amazes me about this entire debacle, not just Rainey but going back to pre-3/3, is how a major company has managed to create so much ill-will, anger and even hatred among its best customers in such a short time.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
UA has a lot of different kinds of customers: employees working for companies with generous travel policies, ones at companies with miserly travel policies, government employees, people like me flying on their own nickel, business travelers, leisure travelers, kettles, etc. plus those who fly mostly domestic versus those who fly international.

The trick to running an airline successfully is maximizing revenue and profitability out of each of those groups. Loyalty and customer satisfaction is a big part of the formula, and clearly there are some tradeoffs between these groups and between profitability and customer satisfaction.

This much I think management understands. Execution is the difficult part and it requires a strong understanding of the different customer segments. It also requires intelligence to figure out good solutions where you keep your customers happy and also get them to spend more money. This is difficult but by no means impossible. The problem is that you need smart and competent management to do it. The fact that the CFO could make such a dumb statement suggests that management's competence/IQ is more in the area of pissing off customers and getting them to spend less money.

I also don't think management understands the impact of social media. In the old days you could sell off an asset (customer loyalty) and get a short term boost in profitability. Good for bonuses and stock prices. These days the investment analysts are likely to figure out this kind of scam and go sour on the company before your options vest.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Whether Rainey said these things deliberately or by accident/meaning something else, it's obvious these folks can't say BOO without everyone here grabbing their pitchforks and vats of burning tar...in essence, our reaction is dictating the terms of the conversation.
This sounds a lot like blaming the victim. Maybe if United was honest and up front in their communication, there would be no "pitchforks and vats of burning tar."
Old May 21, 2012, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Whether Rainey said these things deliberately or by accident/meaning something else, it's obvious these folks can't say BOO without everyone here grabbing their pitchforks and vats of burning tar...in essence, our reaction is dictating the terms of the conversation.
I don't this is fair to us. Our tone has escalated with the alternating lies and silence after 3/3. It didn't start this way. And, it never needed to come to this. And, it can be turned around.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by mitchmu
I don't this is fair to us. Our tone has escalated with the alternating lies and silence after 3/3. It didn't start this way. And, it never needed to come to this. And, it can be turned around.
With new management from outside....no one will trust these liars again.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by UA Insider
An example of this is when our Premier tiers get access to Economy Plus seating. This change has materialized into a meaningfully better experience for our Gold members and above. In fact, in markets that have the highest proportion of Premier flyers, a higher percentage of Premier Platinum and Premier Gold members are getting access to Economy Plus (comparing February 2012 to April 2012, and comparing April 2011 to April 2012), while the percentage of Premier Silver members sitting in Economy Plus hasn’t decreased meaningfully.
Thanks, UA Insider. How nice to get a clarification that Rainey was referring specifically to me (a Silver who used to get E+ at time of booking) when he mentioned over-entitled passengers.

Based on this devaluation, and on the 50% reduction in RDMs for Golds, I had already decided that UA is over-entitled to my airfare dollars. Good to hear that the feeling is mutual.

Originally Posted by bennettb
bottom line is when you give a person a piece of candy everytime you see them year after year, you develop an entitlement atmosphere....right or wrong this is human nature
Well, say you always go to a deli on your way to work to buy lunch. The deli you choose always has free coffee - in fact, that's one reason why you choose that deli and not another one. One day new management comes in and says the free coffee is too expensive, now you have to start buying it. Yeah, maybe there was an "entitlement atmosphere," but in the absence of free coffee, the fact is that you'll stop going out of your way to buy your lunch at that particular deli unless there is some other very compelling reason to do so.

In my little parable, there isn't.

Last edited by snic; May 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm
Old May 21, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I agree the tone has escalated. I don't know if this is appropriate , but would other FTers be intersted in hiring a PR agency. You can do a lot with a couple k a month. Get enough folks to pony up and I think we would be able to have a huge multiplier effect on what we do on FT.

Disclaimer - I'm a lawyer, but I've seen how effective PR can be with my clients. We can complain on FT, but if nobody hears your screams.....
Old May 21, 2012, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly

Newbies at running a large corporation. The BOD should be nervous.
-
Why should the Board of Directors be nervous?

Rainey is not a newbie. He was at Continental for 15 years and worked for Smisek.

Smisek is not only CEO of the corporation, he is also part of the Board of Directors.

Where is the independence under this set of facts?

Thus, the man responsible for destroying the good name of United Airlines and causing an exodus of loyal passengers, effectively, is reportable to himself.

Forget about any help from UA's Board of Directors.
-

Last edited by dgcpaphd; May 21, 2012 at 9:26 pm
Old May 21, 2012, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by snic
Thanks, UA Insider. How nice to get a clarification that Rainey was referring specifically to me (a Silver who used to get E+ at time of booking) when he mentioned over-entitled passengers.
Now that you figured this out, don't forget to order one of the over-entitled t-shirts and wear it at the airport.

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I agree the tone has escalated. I don't know if this is appropriate , but would other FTers be intersted in hiring a PR agency. You can do a lot with a couple k a month. Get enough folks to pony up and I think we would be able to have a huge multiplier effect on what we do on FT.

Disclaimer - I'm a lawyer, but I've seen how effective PR can be with my clients. We can complain on FT, but if nobody hears your screams.....
Spend even more money on this crap? I'd rather use the cash just to pay for business class travel on a nice foreign carrier who doesn't consider me to be an over-entitled leech.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 21, 2012 at 9:31 pm Reason: merge
Old May 21, 2012, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
What amazes me about this entire debacle, not just Rainey but going back to pre-3/3, is how a major company has managed to create so much ill-will, anger and even hatred among its best customers in such a short time.
Especially after the Netflix debacle last summer. It's like no one learned from that, that you should avoid angering your most loyal customers, in your quest to hit certain metrics.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd

Smisek is not only CEO of the corporation, he is also part of the Board of Directors.

Thus, the man responsible for destroying the good name of United Airlines and causing an exodus of loyal passengers, effectively, is reportable to himself.

-
Typical mis-governance. Bury your head in SOX and forget your real job. Never make CEOs (or ex-CEOs) the Chair and make sure that all the Directors have a big portion of their personal wealth invested in the company
Old May 21, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by FlyerOneNiner
Especially after the Netflix debacle last summer. It's like no one learned from that, that you should avoid angering your most loyal customers, in your quest to hit certain metrics.
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Good point.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd

Rainey is not a newbie. He was at Continental for 15 years and worked for Smisek.

-

Very valid point.

I wish I weren't so naive. I'm working under the old belief that BOD's want to make sure the "entity" survives. That of course is not what American business has become. I guess with enough damage they'll have to do something, but by then, it will probably be too late.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:38 pm

Shannon - Sorry to see you put in this position.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone, we see there’s a lot of interest in our recent presentation at Bank of America.
Thanks as always for allowing us the clarify these points.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.