Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fast Track at London Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EP, HH-D, Marriott-G,HPass-PL, Avis-Pres, Hertz-Pres
Received a FastTrack invitation on board 921 IAH-LHR in BF on Tuesday 9/17.

The line for FastTrack was slower than molasses. The standard queues were far faster. Colleague beat me to reclaim by 10 minutes via the standard queue.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Available when not needed

It's not UA's fault, but I have invariably received a pass only when normal queues were minimal, or when fast track was closed.

Same thing with BA. BA used to give them to Gold in Y, don't know if they still do. If I was travelling in UA Y I wouldn't hesitate to flash a 1K card and ask for one. They aren't numbered or anything so FA is not accountable...
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by woofly
Received a FastTrack invitation on board 921 IAH-LHR in BF on Tuesday 9/17.

The line for FastTrack was slower than molasses. The standard queues were far faster. Colleague beat me to reclaim by 10 minutes via the standard queue.
The problem is that they only have 2 desks for the fast track line. If there are issues or complications you are down to 1 desk. At least on the standard lines, they eventually bring out a lot of UKBA staff and if somebody shuts down one line, you still have a dozen other desks moving people through. I've generally found at T4 that the fast track isn't much of a real benefit because the lines more relatively quick. Flying BA into T5 or a *A flight into T1 can be a different story though.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
A Formula to Use

Originally Posted by XCstud
The problem is that they only have 2 desks for the fast track line.
This is true, 2 desks maximum for Fast Track in Terminal 1.

My formula: Fast Track coupon in hand, I briskly walk toward the woman collecting the coupons, and look at the length of the fast track queue. Before arriving at the entry to the queue, I also count the "lanes" in the "normal" queue to my right. If it is more than 2 lanes deep, I continue to fast track - if less than 2 lanes, I suddenly veer off and join the normal queue, and save the coupon for next time. (a "lane" is about 20 people). This favours saving the coupon for next time I'm stuck in coach.

If the normal queue is more than 2 lanes, I do the following calculation, where "FTQ" = Fast Track queue , and "NQL" = Normal Queue lanes:

If (FTQ/3) < NQL, I use the Fast Track, otherwise use the normal queue.

This is a strategy that often works, but can also fail miserably if many people in the normal queus front of you require extensive "interviews". Further study required...
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by StingWest

My formula: Fast Track coupon in hand, I briskly walk toward the woman collecting the coupons, and look at the length of the fast track queue. Before arriving at the entry to the queue, I also count the "lanes" in the "normal" queue to my right. If it is more than 2 lanes deep, I continue to fast track - if less than 2 lanes, I suddenly veer off and join the normal queue, and save the coupon for next time. (a "lane" is about 20 people). This favours saving the coupon for next time I'm stuck in coach.

If the normal queue is more than 2 lanes, I do the following calculation, where "FTQ" = Fast Track queue , and "NQL" = Normal Queue lanes:

This is a strategy that often works, but can also fail miserably if many people in the normal queus front of you require extensive "interviews". Further study required...
IME, though, you have to "hide" the pass if you try to join the normal queue. A few times, the collector spotted my pass and did me a "favor" by pulling me out of the regular lane and moving me over to the (not) fast lane.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:50 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by StingWest

The same kind of calculation that EU passport holders make when deciding whether to use the electronic passport gates or join the regular line.

The electronic gates take up to five times as long as the real person does, and at any one time, one of the three gates will be out of order. It's often much quicker to join the regular line.

BTW, it has been suggested to me that the electronic gates do not measure your biometrics at all, let alone compare them against the data on the chip in the passport. Rather, there's a human being in the room out back who is desperately trying to work out if your face on camera matches the photo in your passport. (In my case it's a very bad one — the original photo was fine but digitization deprived me of my hair and the outlines of my face are very nebulous!)
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
That incredibly long walk to and from the outer extremities of T1 is something that I do at least 10 times a year. I'm doing it twice in the next 3 weeks. It's one of the design factors that make LHR a Third World airport.

We are told that this distance will be much reduced when *A moves to T2 in 2014 (United is first off, in early June). Can't wait!
It's not a design factor at all and didn't exist until about 2 years ago when UA moved to its new gates. The pier which UA is using is actually part of the new Terminal 2 and the walk effectively takes you down some connectors from the old Terminal 1. A quick glance out of the window will show you that they have built the current end of this particular pier with the rest of it now almost complete. A further glance out of the window shows you where the rest of Terminal 2 is and how the connector walks. There's even a huge sign on the way to the gate explaining what's going on. Major construction work always results in diversions.

Calling it a design factor is totally ridiculous and absurd hyperbole.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Fast track Immigatration at LHR arrival hall for Star Gold flying United Economy

Title says it all. Can I fast track through Heathrow Immigration line as a Star Gold flying United economy. My experience is that the line is brutal around 10:00pm when the day flight from IAD lands and any chance I can mitigate that would be great

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Fast track Immigatration at LHR arrival hall for Star Gold flying United Economy

I don't believe so. I think it is for business or first class travelers only.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by inthemix
Title says it all. Can I fast track through Heathrow Immigration line as a Star Gold flying United economy. My experience is that the line is brutal around 10:00pm when the day flight from IAD lands and any chance I can mitigate that would be great

Thanks
Nope. Premium cabins-only.
Also, your question is moot in another way as I don't believe Fast Track is open at that hour of the evening.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
UA does not give it to Gold or 1K, or anyone but C and F.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Your "Fast Track" pass is a small slip of paper that says "we invite you to fast track!". This small slip of paper will be passed out by flight attendants to passengers in the premium cabin. Sometimes if the flight is fairly empty there are reports that FAs may also hand out passes to elite passengers in coach, but I've never seen this happen.

The pass isn't always a great deal. In our experience maybe 50% of the time we have opted to use the "fast track" LHR line it has been slower than regular immigration (because they allocate fewer agents and we happen to get stuck behind an entire premium cabin's worth of passengers in the "fast" line). About 25% of the time, it's been a long journey and my other half is particularly grumpy about having to queue, which means that about 12.5% of the time it is an unhappy 20-minute queue experience.

Best thing you can do to reduce your queue time at LHR immigration arrivals is sit near one of the aircraft's doors and try to be one of the passengers to de-plane. Second best thing is to walk through a premium cabin on the way out & grab a discarded fast track pass next to someone's left-over amenity kit.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
The last time I landed in the UK I was the first coach person off the airplane. When I arrived at immigration the fast track line was very long but there wasn't anyone in the normal line. Apparently there were two flights that landed at the same time and all the F/C customers from both showed up in the fast track line at the same time.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: UA GS
Earlier this month, I went into the Fast Track line, which had about 12-15 people. The line went very slowly as there was only 2 agents processing the Fast Track queue.

Meanwhile, the regular queue was processed very quickly. I believe there was 6-7 agents supporting the regular line.

After seeing 3 sets of regular passengers processed (i.e. arrive in line and processed), and having moved only a few people in the Fast Track line, I ducked below the stanchion and went into regular line. I was processed immediately.

In retrospect the process probably saved me only a few minutes, but it was annoying to be a such a slow queue. I thought the employees monitoring the lines, should have diverted some of the Fast Track queue to the regular queue.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
1) Does UA always give everyone in C and F a fast track coupon?

2) Are there any other perks like this that come with UA C/F (beyond the obvious meals, drinks, service, seats that you obviously get when you pay more)?

3) How often have elites in coach gotten coupons? I discovered the existence of fast track coupons because I befriended a FA on my LHR flight while in Y.

4) Do any other airports offer similar coupons?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.