Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App-Questions, Answers, Bugs and etc for NON-iPhone and Android [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Originally Posted by UA Insider

Hi everyone,

Today we take another step in the overall redesign of our digital channels—the launch of the redesigned United mobile app for Android devices.

In redesigning the Android version of the app, our eCommerce team used data from our current app to understand which features and functions were most important to customers. There’s a lot we’ve packed into this release, including some completely new functionality.

Here’s an overview:

Updated functionality
As with the iOS app released a few months ago, the Android version updates popular tasks like booking and checking in for a flight, monitoring flight status and checking your MileagePlus account summary. Some of the notable updates include:
  • An easier way to see all the boarding passes for reservations with more than one traveler.
  • The option to book award travel with multiple segments.
  • Redesigned seats map graphics that are easier to view.

New functionality
The app also has several new functions that were introduced with the iOS version, such as travel cards and a travel wallet, as well as extras like Sudoku, a checked bag fees calculator, a currency converter and airport maps.

Really new functionality
Unique to this release and (for the moment) the Android app are a few changes designed to improve overall usability:
  • Text navigation along the top screen
  • Ability to scroll both vertically and horizontally
  • The screen will re-orient when rotated so you can use the features in either direction
  • For multiple travelers or viewing multiple flight statuses, the data will now stack to show more information at-a-glance
  • When you are signed in to the app, any active reservations in your account will have travel cards
  • Widget is available on the home screen for quick access into the app

We will introduce many of these elements to the iOS version later this year as we continue to update and improve our app across iOS, Android and Windows devices. And our digital improvements won’t stop there—our new website is in the works. In the next few months, we will begin to launch the new united.com. It will be a phased approach that will span all of 2014, and you can expect that the Preview program will be a key part of each release.

In the meantime, the updated Android app (which is compatible with KitKat and previous operating platforms) is now available from the Google Play store.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

United App-Questions, Answers, Bugs and etc for NON-iPhone and Android [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
I am happy for the app, but when I am sitting in F I still see far more BB users than Android or Iphone users. I think they should definitely support BB.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by last2board
I am happy for the app, but when I am sitting in F I still see far more BB users than Android or Iphone users. I think they should definitely support BB.
+1
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Can we access CO with the UA app and vice versa? Or do we need both?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Can we access CO with the UA app and vice versa? Or do we need both?

You can access both from UA.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:09 am

Programs: UA1k; 2MM; *G; *woodG
Ok, so I downloaded the app, which I agree is way cooler than the stuff previously out there. Now I'm wondering, how do you see upgrade status? Can you see it on future-waitlisted segments? Or do you have to wait until the UDU window opens? Any advice out there from folks who have already taken this app around the block a few times? How about tips on what you can do with the app?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3bjbno1
Ok, so I downloaded the app, which I agree is way cooler than the stuff previously out there. Now I'm wondering, how do you see upgrade status? Can you see it on future-waitlisted segments? Or do you have to wait until the UDU window opens? Any advice out there from folks who have already taken this app around the block a few times? How about tips on what you can do with the app?
Using the CO app, I was able to see the upgrade list 48 hours out, once the flight status is available.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
There's a reason you see way more Android and iPhone apps than Blackberry apps. Actually, a few reasons.

The primary one being that Blackberry is a notoriously difficult environment to program in. Different screen sizes, all with different resolutions. Different operating systems, different web protocols, lousy developer tools... I can go on and on.

As an avowed Blackberry user, I share your pain. But I get why.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I understand that the iPhone has only two resolutions to program for, but Android has way less hardware standardization than even Blackberry. And the programming isn't abysmal - the whole phone is Java based. No big deal. It really comes down to a choice to dedicate the resources.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CJ99
Thanks, UA--now how about an app for Palm/WebOS?
Apps for dying Op's makes no sense. And given that Androids are under a sustained hacker attack due to it's insecurity, you couldn't lay one of these things on me or my staff.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimmc66
Apps for dying Op's makes no sense. And given that Androids are under a sustained hacker attack due to it's insecurity, you couldn't lay one of these things on me or my staff.
You mean dead OS
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by 3bjbno1
I was only able to see my name on the waitlist after I checked in and it didn't update right away. It was also like 7pm at night, not sure if they do sweeps to update the list.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I understand that the iPhone has only two resolutions to program for, but Android has way less hardware standardization than even Blackberry. And the programming isn't abysmal - the whole phone is Java based. No big deal. It really comes down to a choice to dedicate the resources.
This is true. In fact if you do as United has, only one.

If you are sitting in First on a three class flight, you couldn't have booked it on an iPhone or an Android so having it on your FranklenBerry might not done you any good.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 28, 2011 at 12:22 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by joshwex90
+1
+2

I would only add that I believe I read somewhere that BB has a more restrictive software policy so it's harder to make apps for BB than iPhone or Android. People who use BB should also take the surveys stating they use their BB so UA/CO has a better understanding of how many BB users they have.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
I really like it.. great job United ^
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Michael D
This is true. In fact if you do as United has, only one.
Yeah... definitely a little goofy on the resolutions and aspect ratios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.