Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business first v. Global First

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Is GF that much better than BF?

Many UA threads describe huge efforts by FTer's to secure space in GF rather than BF. Indeed, many suggest that if GF cannot be obtained, the pax should: (a) change to a less convenient flight time/date; or (b) change airline choice.

For long flights, I believe it is clear that BF is significantly superior to E or E+ (far better seat, far better meal, free booze, etc.); it is less clear to me how much better GF is to BF. The seat is only marginally larger, and both lie flat. The IFE is quite similar, the booze and the service only a little bit better. Am I missing something here? Other than for the feeling of exclusivity, how much more valuable is GF?

Please note, this is intended to be a legitimate question, not a wind-up. Just looking for an honest evaluation. Thanks.

Last edited by seenitall; Sep 25, 2013 at 2:39 pm
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by seenitall
Many UA threads describe huge efforts by FTer's to secure space if GF rather than BF. Indeed, many suggest that if GF cannot be obtained, the pax should: (a) change to a less convenient flight time/date; or (b) change airline choice.

For long flights, I believe it is clear that BF is significantly superior to E or E+ (far better seat, far better meal, free booze, etc.); it is less clear to me how much better GF is to BF. The seat is only marginally larger, and both lie flat. The IFE is quite similar, the booze and the service only a little bit better. Am I missing something here? Other than for the feeling of exclusivity, how much more valuable is GF?

Please note, this is intended to be a legitimate question, not a wind-up. Just looking for an honest evaluation. Thanks.
Prior to the advent of lie flat seats in business on UA's 3 class planes there was a very big difference between F and J. But now I agree the difference is marginal. There are more food choices with ever so slightly upgraded meals..and the GF wines are a notch above BF. And you will be more isolated in GF which is nice when traveling alone but perhaps unwelcome when with someone else. You also have access to the GF lounge where offered. GF was a fantastic upgrade vs the old recliner seats (and back in they day they had Dom and even caviar waaaay back). I would only do the upgrade now if I had GPU's to burn.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I think the order is as follows:
"Best"
1) GF on 747
2) GF on 777
3) GF on 767
4) BF on PMCO 777/767/757 (tie)
4) BF on 747 UD/LD (tie) (seat is wider than 767/777, but 4 across in center)
5) BF on PMUA 767 (seat is narrow, but only 2 across, and overhead bins suck)
6) BF on PMUA 777 (seat is narrow and 4 across in center)
"Worst"

People tend to like GF and the PMCO BF product because you've got your own "space" in your own little private "pod."

Whereas the PMUA BF product, you've not really any privacy.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Not much. to echo SEA1K4EVR, who may be rethinking his handle, prior to lie-flat in C, there was a HUGE difference between C and F, the C seats were barcolounger type seats, while F was lie-flat. The new F is basically a re-warmed old F but with new IFE, while the new C seats are a dramatic improvement.

The big complaint I see a lot is that on PMUA, C is 4 across in many configurations in the middle section. Its not private at all; I don't mind as much, I care about the sleeping space, and the PMUA beds are fine in C (I find them more comfortable than the CO ones).

As for the food & bev, there are some very very minor differences in catering, its mostly the same slop, and bad booze, PMUA had much better wines/champagnes.

If you have extra GPU to burn, go for it. Otherwise, its not worth the cost in miles and/or cash. Other airlines in star, such as LH, offer a dramatically better experience for F.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
There's also service.

One nice thing is that in GF on the 767, the 5 pax in GF have their own FA. On the 777 the ratio is still really good (1 for 8 pax). On the 747, there are usually 2 FA's for the 14 GF pax.

In GF the FA's do nice things like replace your water without having to ask or while you're sleeping. The service is just generally attentive in a way that's not possible in a 26-52 seat Business class cabin.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Just getting off a trip in both UA products TPAC I think there is a difference depending on what you value. GF has loads more personal and storage space. BF storage is entirely in the overhead bins. GF bed is more comfortable, particularly with the turndown service pad and the wider footwell. But that said, I slept fine in both. I've only been on pmCO's BF product once and their seat is more firm. I was on a light load flight, so BF service was extremely good and food/snacks is basically the same. Both seats you can pretty much recline to exactly where you want to. Because the GF screen is further away from the seat back, it's size is about the same as pmUA's BF screen.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I read the header and thought the question was is a Girlfriend better than a Boyfriend LOL
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Much better lav-per-passenger ratio than on BF as well. And access to some really good *A and partner IFL lounges (e.g., LHR, CDG, SYD, etc.).
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
GF first all the way.

You have way more personal space, better service, more storage space, and turn down service. If you have the ability to go with GF, do it. That being said, there's nothing wrong with the BF product, I'd just avoid the middle section on the 777.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by prestonh
GF has loads more personal and storage space. BF storage is entirely in the overhead bins.
With one important exception: the upper deck of a 747, where each window seat in BF has a storage locker directly adjacent. Very convenient, and makes up for the fact that overhead bin storage up there is tight, to say the least.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
With one important exception: the upper deck of a 747, where each window seat in BF has a storage locker directly adjacent. Very convenient, and makes up for the fact that overhead bin storage up there is tight, to say the least.
That's true. The tradeoff with the UD is that anything larger than a brief case/backpack has to go in the closet by the stairs and my experience with the FA's in that regard is that it's always a big to-do for them to place it in there.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Mostly what you get with F is enhanced privacy, calm/silence, and storage. Sometimes, a better lounge and dining experience too, depending on routes.

Privacy and silence are valuable to me, especially on ultra long hauls, but both classes do feature a flat bed.

With miles, F is a no brainer - it's hardly more expensive than C. With a paid fare, I'd stick with C as using a GPU on Y to C is a far better value than on C to F.

Another data point worth considering. If you connect in F at a major hub, arriving from an international flight, you'll be typically greeted by a GS agent. These folks have done wonders for me occasionally. This service is not available in C. There's also a chance at being driven on the tarmac at ORD, if that matters.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 25, 2013 at 3:44 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
Originally Posted by prestonh
That's true. The tradeoff with the UD is that anything larger than a brief case/backpack has to go in the closet by the stairs and my experience with the FA's in that regard is that it's always a big to-do for them to place it in there.
I've only been on the UD maybe 10 times but luckily FAs always been pretty happy to help store a role aboard. Downside is very inconvenient if you need to access during flight for whatever reason.

Back to the OP, when booking and award trip I would go out of my way for GF vs. BF, considering the extra miles are typically worth it. When in paid business I also have GPUed to GF or tried miles etc. but the GPU more dependent on the actual flight.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by warreng24
1) GF on 747
2) GF on 777
3) GF on 767
4) BF on PMCO 777/767/757 (tie)
4) BF on 747 UD/LD (tie) (seat is wider than 767/777, but 4 across in center)
5) BF on PMUA 767 (seat is narrow, but only 2 across, and overhead bins suck)
6) BF on PMUA 777 (seat is narrow and 4 across in center)
I think this is an excellent summary ordering. However, in truth, the practical difference between 1-4 is really a matter of preference.

You could probably rephrase the entire question/thread as: Which BF seats should I avoid? And the answer would be PMUA 747-LD/767/777. Everything else is better, and the distinctions between that group are pretty marginal.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
GF first all the way.

You have way more personal space, better service, more storage space, and turn down service. If you have the ability to go with GF, do it. That being said, there's nothing wrong with the BF product, I'd just avoid the middle section on the 777.
I was underwhelmed with my recent GF experience from IAD to GRU. Service was just OK. No turndown service offered to anyone in the cabin. Warm champagne.......and the list goes on. Very mediocre compared to say F on AA on long haul international flights. I agree that the seat is better than BF on the PMUA aircraft(those are to be avoided at all cost).

I am heading back to GRU next week and will be in F on AA this time. You blew it again United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.