Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business first v. Global First

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So the bottom line is your paying $5K more for soup in GF?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by enviroian
So the bottom line is your paying $5K more for soup in GF?
That what is sounds like Ani's criteria are. For me, it's really time, convenience and seat comfort. (Lounges, food, pleasant FAs, and the most recent movies are nice to have but not critical in my book).

And BTW, if you're paying an extra $5k, you're doing something wrong.

(Not a big fan of the PMCO seats or PMUA 747 UD, but that's mostly because of my height.)
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 5khours
That what is sounds like Ani's criteria are. For me, it's really time, convenience and seat comfort. (Lounges, food, pleasant FAs, and the most recent movies are nice to have but not critical in my book).

(Not a big fan of the PMCO seats or PMUA 747 UD, but that's mostly because of my height.)
Well hard product I agree with you ...the seat is what 2" longer and it's a quieter cabin. Better lounge. Pleasant flight attendants? In my experience they are all unpleasant dinosaurs who should have retired 20 years ago. I was amazed at the difference in flight attendants when I flew SK and LH last fall.

Yes I agree the IFE is nice and has great content.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Pleasant flight attendants? In my experience they are all unpleasant dinosaurs who should have retired 20 years ago. I was amazed at the difference in flight attendants when I flew SK and LH last fall.
I actually find the FAs in UA GF for the most part to be very pleasant. Service is not always great but I think that has a lot more to do with management and corporate culture.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not confusing to me - 30K miles is (or at least was) 1/2 of a one way biz ticket to Asia, which based on my redemption rates got me at least $1,500. Or based on my upcoming trip to Morocco, more like $3,000.

I pretty much only use miles for awards, not upgrades...except for PS, where based on current rates I'd be getting 8-10cpm.

UD on the 747 is already a pretty sweet ride...just not that much of a differential IMO getting into GF. Yes of course with a GPU if I had those to burn.
A 747 nose window seat during take off, taxi, landing, circling is worth 5,000 miles alone.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: *
Bizarre argument if you ask me. If you don't think it's worth paying more for a more comfortable seat, why wouldn't you always just buy a middle seat in the back of the airplane.
The issue is the value one attaches to the seat. Of course, for example, if the incremental difference in fare between GF and BF was 100 USD then almost all business travellers would say it is worth it for seat alone, 500 dollars, most might still feel it is valuable, 1000 USD or more - depends who is paying and on personal resources etc, 10,000 or more - depends probably on one's sanity.

The issue to me is whether first class travel all boils down to a better seat. I personally do not think it should all rest on a seat (or mostly rest on a seat). As I said my very limited experience on other carriers has been that travelling first class is more of an experience than just a better seat to sit on.

As regards why I dont always buy a middle seat in Y, the incremental value of BF over a middle seat in Y is very different to most humans than the incremental value of a GF 'suite' over a standard flat-bed bussiness seat. The vast majority of business travellers I suspect (I may be wrong) are satisified with a flat-bed BF seat, wheras few, if any, would be satisified with a middle seat in Y. So while most business travellers have a desire to upgrade from Y to BF, the same does not apply that most will value upgraging from BF to GF to same degree.

Exactly. We are saying the same thing but expressing differently. Somewhere one has to decide how much incremental to spend on a better seat, more privacy but relatively mediocre service. For you the limit is 5000 USD, for some, that limit is lower.

My bottom-line from my experience is that if one could sit on a window seat in the upper deck of the 744, I did not see that much incremental value of GF. Space wise and privacy wise the UD window of 744 is not bad at all. However sitting on the lower deck in the middle of four seats, my incremental value (for GF) would go up greatly. In summary the GF experience to me did not seem outstandingly different to that in upper deck 744 with the only tangible difference to me was the seat. But take this all with a pinch of salt as this has been my only experience in GF and may not have been typical.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by ani90
The issue to me is whether first class travel all boils down to a better seat. I personally do not think it should all rest on a seat (or mostly rest on a seat). As I said my very limited experience on other carriers has been that travelling first class is more of an experience than just a better seat to sit on.
Depends on the person I think. I fly a lot so seat comfort is pretty high on my list of priorities.

As regards why I dont always buy a middle seat in Y, the incremental value of BF over a middle seat in Y is very different to most humans than the incremental value of a GF 'suite' over a standard flat-bed bussiness seat. The vast majority of business travellers I suspect (I may be wrong) are satisified with a flat-bed BF seat, wheras few, if any, would be satisified with a middle seat in Y. So while most business travellers have a desire to upgrade from Y to BF, the same does not apply that most will value upgraging from BF to GF to same degree.
Airline seats are like cars and stereos. You're happy until you get used to a better model.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Airline seats are like cars and stereos. You're happy until you get used to a better model.
How true that is in our experience.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Depends on the person I think. I fly a lot so seat comfort is pretty high on my list of priorities.

Also it depends upon the design of the "better" model. I'm a bit claustrophobic and the UA GF seats are just fine for me and one reason I pay extra for them rather than sit in BF. I hate the suites with the sliding doors on Middle Eastern/Far Eastern airlines and the ying yang business seats on BA. If I have some room around me that I can call my own I'll pay a bit more for it rather than sit squashed breathing heavily for hours on end. The F product - that also generally means less crowded check in and lounges giving you space to relax - is part of the seat price so altogether worth it for me.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: UA Silver
Upcoming trip with DEN-DXB (via IAD) in BF. I can currently change my ticket for a total of $1,000 to make the leg DEN-DXB via FRA in F on LH. Would you say it is worth $1,000 extra for that?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by agoldstein
Upcoming trip with DEN-DXB (via IAD) in BF. I can currently change my ticket for a total of $1,000 to make the leg DEN-DXB via FRA in F on LH. Would you say it is worth $1,000 extra for that?
Well I would if you're not in immediate need of the $$$ for anything else, even if it's just for the sake of trying it. Could be your best flight ever.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:02 am

Depends how much money you make,
For me, I could never bring myself to do it
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
LH F for only a $1000 more? Jump on it!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I actually find the FAs in UA GF for the most part to be very pleasant.
Me too! But, for me as well, it's all about the seat (nice!) and personal space.

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
LH F for only a $1000 more? Jump on it!
Yes, AA also sometimes offers F for a small upgrade price when they are flying their non-lie-flat C seat! I found this out when booking to EZE recently.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 25, 2014 at 10:04 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes. Huge upgrade in hard product, as LH flies old C both DEN-FRA and FRA-DXB. Plus you get the FCL in FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.