Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business first v. Global First

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by pnut4912
Wow, i really missed the boat. I didnt realize they were already retrofitting the sUA767 to another new interior. I thought they were starting with other equipment first since those just got the new ITPE (relativity) recently. Now wonder i couldnt figure out which sCO 767 I was on, i wasnt.
There's only one IPTE 767 that will go to the new 2-class international configuration. The bulk of the ships getting the new interiors are the former domestic 767-300ERs, commonly referred to as 'Ghetto Birds' for their dense configuration.

When the reconfigurations are all said and done (sometime next spring), 20 767-300ERs will remain in three-cabin IPTE configuration.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
I am *so* sick of reservation agents and FA's telling me that BusinessFirst is much better than business when complaining about 2 cabin planes replacing 3 cabin planes. BusinessFirst is business, nothing more.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
There's only one IPTE 767 that will go to the new 2-class international configuration. The bulk of the ships getting the new interiors are the former domestic 767-300ERs, commonly referred to as 'Ghetto Birds' for their dense configuration.

When the reconfigurations are all said and done (sometime next spring), 20 767-300ERs will remain in three-cabin IPTE configuration.
Wait, this is news to me - since when are they reconfiguring an already reconfigured PMUA int'l 767? That just seems crazy. Thought only the G-birds were getting it.

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
I am *so* sick of reservation agents and FA's telling me that BusinessFirst is much better than business when complaining about 2 cabin planes replacing 3 cabin planes. BusinessFirst is business, nothing more.
That's what happens when you drop "first" into the description next to "business" - it brainwashes some into thinking it's F-worthy, even though it's not. If anything, the US/CX Cirrus seat can make that claim, and many of the very private staggered C products, but not UA.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:09 pm

I recently flew UA Gloabl First on a new 777 - IAD-BRU

Other than the "suite"/pod, which yes was very stylish and nice - I noticed NO difference at all to United Business (I've flown UA Business on international flights to London, Sydney, Frankfurt and Rio)

The seat in Global First was nice and private - much more so than sUA or sCO Business. But the food and the service was the same. FA's were mildly friendly. But didn't care much beyond that. Food - I noticed no difference in quality or presentation. The IFE is the same - United Global First just does not feel different to Business.

Even the ice cream Sundae you get on a Global First flight from LAX-LHR is exactly the same as you get on a domestic flight in "First" (Big seat ecomomy) class.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Stick with what you've got. The PMCO BF seat is great on the 777. I recently did IAH-NRT-IAH with my girlfriend and it's a great flight. Don't add another stop.

I'm 6'3" and my girlfriend is close to 6'0"

Very comfortable flight.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Actually, if you plan on canoodling with your new wife on the first flight, you might find being in closer proximity to her in BF to be an advantage. GF is intended for privacy, so you wouldn't be able to chat/cuddle/flirt with her as easily.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Actually, if you plan on canoodling with your new wife on the first flight, you might find being in closer proximity to her in BF to be an advantage. GF is intended for privacy, so you wouldn't be able to chat/cuddle/flirt with her as easily.
were married now, why would we do that
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Well, if you look at a 2-4-2 sUA business cabin versus a 2-2-2 sCO businessfirst cabin on the same model plane (772), I can understand the perspective. And agree with them.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Wait, this is news to me - since when are they reconfiguring an already reconfigured PMUA int'l 767? That just seems crazy. Thought only the G-birds were getting it.
Just one ship, N663UA. #6463 is the lone 1998 delivery in the IPTE configuration, the rest of the IPTE 767s are 1991-93 builds and will not receive winglets or further cabin mods. The 1998-2001 deliveries will have new overhead bins, galleys, PSUs, carpet, sidewalls, lavs, nose-to-tail AVOD, increased gross weights, winglets, and the CO BF seats.

United is converting the entire order of 1998-2001 763ER deliveries to one configuration, so ultimately the mix will be 20 IPTE and 15 J/Y aircraft. It makes sense from the airline's POV because then all similarly-configured 763ERs will have the same performance characteristics. There are no plans to modify any additional IPTE birds to the 2-cabin layout.

On the 777 side, 3 ships currently in the old international configuration will not be converted to IPTE, but instead will receive refurbished United Business recliners at 2-2-2 and new Y seats at 3-3-3 abreast layout for high-density service to Hawaii and Guam. They will join the 6 existing domestic 772s which will be retrofit to the new arrangement.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
For the sake of convenience, it might be worth it to keep the flight you've got -- assuming your seat assignments didn't get pushed back into Coach when they switched the gauge Have you confirmed that your seats are in BusinessFirst?

I disagree with coplatflyer - The Global First suites are a step above BusinessFirst. Better storage, more space, nicer blanket & pillows, easy access to the aisle, better amenities & booze. IMO, if you paid for First Class, you should get First Class.

First Class is a rare treat for most of us. If you're a 1K with systemwide upgrades, you'll have other opportunities to try the new Business seats.
What Lori said. I find the F hardware to be quite a big step up from C (both UA and CO.) The soft product, not so much. Which is both sad and unfortunate.

Originally Posted by pnut4912
We spend a full day and a half in BRU before transiting on to TG flight. Not worried about misconnect or extra stops.
This is the new UA. Are you absolutely sure that a day and a half is enough time to make your connection?

Just sayin'.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Global First lounge

What is the GF lounge like compared to the regular United Club?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:15 pm

It's complete nonsense. UA's two intl. C products are nothing more than mid pack at best at this point, and certainly are nothing like the F suite.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by remedy
What is the GF lounge like compared to the regular United Club?
its much better, though compared to non-US airlines the GF lounge is probably on-par with their Biz lounges although less crowded.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:22 am

UA BF or QR C

I am going home to IAH from HKG In October. I currently have a *A mileage ticket from HKG-DOH and DOH-IAH in C class on QR. 1 stop, arriving in IAH at a tough traffic time, 5:30. I could do TG F from HKG to BKK and BKK to LHR in F class, and LHR to IAH in UA BUsinessfirst and get in to Houston a few hours earlier and avoid traffic. What a trade off!!!!!! TG f class is better than QR c, but the last 10 hours are in UA BF. Good trade off? I want to go through customs in Houston. Worth it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.