Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Waitlisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United
Waitlisting options
  1. Waitlist for alternative flights times / routing
  2. Waitlisting for a different cabin
From the above link on waitlisting for a different cabin: You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Waitlisting can only be done over the phone, not online.
You can not book a standard award and then waitlist for a saver award.
If waitlisting for a higher cabin, best if done at the time of booking or soon afterward.
If done more than 24 hours after booking you may be charged an award change fee.
Generally, the waitlisted class mileage is deducted at time of request and will be refunded if unsuccessful
When waitlisting for a higher, state you are waitlisting for I (or IN if a plat or higher) -- do not use the word "upgrade", it may confuse the agent

If waitlisting for a segment when the rest of the segments are already in the higher cabin, there is no refund if unsuccessful

Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to waitlist for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. The maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
At the airport, if you have not yet cleared for the higher cabin waitlist, you should be listed on the standby upgrade list (your priority on the waitlist is not well understood -- below are some conflicting theories)

Note: The correct priority term here may, in fact, be a code that is one of WAX, WBX, WCX, or WDX depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status”* which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with "PR-1 status"* then find another one who will. With this status, the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1* status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).
* note "PR-1" may not be the correct term, see the Wxx note proceeding this section

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seems to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.

Related thread - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

Archive of past posts - Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by LeonS
Glad to hear it helped!
What channel did you use? Online Chat?
Yes, chat.

Glad to hear it helped!
Well, this is interesting to me. That means that all of those people ahead of you all managed to find an agent that waitlisted them? Which as we know is not an easy feat.
The flight only has like 8 seats selected. It's wide open. Yet there are apparently 12 others on the waitlist already (i.e. every selected Y and F seat pax, and then some). Doesn't quite make sense to me..

As I understood it, the agent was referring to the complementary (i.e. status) upgrades. Presumably these "I" waitlists fall in the same bucket as the comp. status upgrades processed shortly before departure. At least, that's what I gathered from what I was told (again, unprompted).

Because if I understood correctly, the waitlist in (I) counts as a displaced passenger and has higher priority than any complimentary upgrades even if they have status?
It may be. But if so then I am on a different waitlist. I was specifically told that I am on "complementary upgrades" waitlist, and that there are GS, 1K, etc. pax ahead of me on the list already.

So may be there are different ways to do this, and how it was done for me was not the "typical" way of I waitlisting, and rather I was just added to the comp. upgrade waitlist, not to the displaced et al I waitlist.

My flight is within the next 90 days, so potentially it could be. I would set up a reminder to check at T-90 to see if it appears on your reservation.

FYI I don't see the waitlist on the OS app, I only see it on the browser.
Will do, thanks. I always check award res, with any airline, from time to time, as I've had my fare share of issues (like showing up at the airport, the ticket being valid, but the operating carrier not having a PNR or me on the flight). I know that award res must be always baby sat.

And yes, I'm always checking in the browser (full site).
Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RealHJ
So may be there are different ways to do this, and how it was done for me was not the "typical" way of I waitlisting, and rather I was just added to the comp. upgrade waitlist, not to the displaced et al I waitlist.
Do you have status with United? Do you have a United-branded Chase credit card?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jsloan
Do you have status with United? Do you have a United-branded Chase credit card?
No to first and yes to second.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No to first and yes to second.
OK, then I don’t have a good explanation for what the agent told you. If the answer to both questions were yes, and this is a route eligible for complimentary upgrades, then you would already have been on the list and the agent might just have left your reservation alone. I suppose the agent could have listed you for PZ instead of I, but I don’t know if the computer would actually process an upgrade in that scenario — it would likely choke on the lack of any support for PZ class in the record.

If your reservation doesn’t actually say waitlisted, I wouldn’t expect that you are waitlisted. But unless we’re talking about a route where I space typically opens — maybe LAX-FAT or something like that — I’m not sure how much it really matters.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:50 pm

OK, then I don’t have a good explanation for what the agent told you. If the answer to both questions were yes, and this is a route eligible for complimentary upgrades, then you would already have been on the list and the agent might just have left your reservation alone. I suppose the agent could have listed you for PZ instead of I, but I don’t know if the computer would actually process an upgrade in that scenario — it would likely choke on the lack of any support for PZ class in the record.

If your reservation doesn’t actually say waitlisted, I wouldn’t expect that you are waitlisted. But unless we’re talking about a route where I space typically opens — maybe LAX-FAT or something like that — I’m not sure how much it really matters.
How come does United release more Saver Awards in Business/First class for international flight than for domestic flights? My intuition would have been that paying customers might be less inclined to buy First class for shorter domestic class tickets than for the longer international routes. Is it the opposite?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How come does United release more Saver Awards in Business/First class for international flight than for domestic flights? My intuition would have been that paying customers might be less inclined to buy First class for shorter domestic class tickets than for the longer international routes. Is it the opposite?
The price of F for domestic flights is often much lower than it is on intercontinental flights, even after accounting for flight time, and there is a lot more premium cabin inventory on the long-haul flights.

UA has gotten extremely good at selling discounted upgrades to economy passengers.
SPN Lifer and LeonS like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:09 pm

The price of F for domestic flights is often much lower than it is on intercontinental flights, even after accounting for flight time, and there is a lot more premium cabin inventory on the long-haul flights.

UA has gotten extremely good at selling discounted upgrades to economy passengers.
That makes sense. Good for United for being able to sell the premium cabin inventory. I knew that Delta became a lot better too at monetizing First Class inventory.

We fly with Alaska Airlines for the most part (we live in Seattle) and I don't think they currently make even the smallest effort to try to sell the first class seats. Always plenty of complimentary upgrades available; I have never seen a paying upgrade offer, and booking First Class usually has outrageous prices that make it hard to justify.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:11 am

Question: if at the moment the check-in opens at T-24 my waitlist to I has not cleared, I understand that the waitlist goes away.

At that point, do I have no choice but to ask check-in or gate agents to assist? Or can I still ask a Chat agent to help at that point?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The waitlist doesn't go anywhere.

You can clear into I space any time prior to the flight going to gate control, but the odds of there being I space within T-24 if the flight isn't already pretty empty is quite low. You should also be on the gate upgrade list.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by mattkp
Very unfortunate turns of events. I called first agent, knew immediately what to do, authenticated mileage plus account, called lead, then I dropped the call by accident.

Called again, agent knew, called lead, my Skype credit ran out and call dropped

called about 10 more times, nobody knew. They now have also notes on my account that I keep calling to request it and that I’ve been advised it’s not possible. I guess can’t call anymore for this one haha
That's some real bad luck! Assuming that the notes are added to the current trip, and if you have the option, you could rebook a new (saver) award ticket and cancel the current one.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:18 am

wow, what incredible luck to find a competent agent to do this (I’ve been trying to do that for a few months now, all in vain). You should buy a bunch of lottery tickets right away, before your incredible luck goes away, if you haven’t done so already.
In my experience, UA agents have been a lot more agreeable to wait-listing mixed-cabin itineraries - because the miles have already been deducted. The common pushback I get for usual Y->J waitlisting is the "United uses dynamic pricing and so we would have to charge you whatever today's price for a J-award is" (which is usually 250-300k) and then the fun begins where I have to tell them that they need to charge the saver miles rate and not the J-rate etc etc.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by manodeep
In my experience, UA agents have been a lot more agreeable to wait-listing mixed-cabin itineraries - because the miles have already been deducted.
Most definitely not. That's what's next to impossible to get waitlisted. You can easily spend 10-20+ hours over countless calls/chats (each one escalate), and still no go.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most definitely not. That's what's next to impossible to get waitlisted. You can easily spend 10-20+ hours over countless calls/chats (each one escalate), and still no go.
It appears to be increasingly difficult to get any award waitlisted. However, I concur with the previous poster -- if you already have an award that's partially in I, you're more likely to get the other segments waitlisted successfully than if you're attempting what used to be known as "Plan B," where you have no segments in I are are attempting to be charged for the non-existent I award and waitlisted accordingly. With the death of the award charts, it's no longer clear what the price of the waitlisted award should be.
SPN Lifer, findark and manodeep like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 11:47 am

It appears to be increasingly difficult to get any award waitlisted. However, I concur with the previous poster -- if you already have an award that's partially in I, you're more likely to get the other segments waitlisted successfully than if you're attempting what used to be known as "Plan B," where you have no segments in I are are attempting to be charged for the non-existent I award and waitlisted accordingly. With the death of the award charts, it's no longer clear what the price of the waitlisted award should be.
Exactly. And the most common excuse (lie) is that you are told "oh, you bought a mixed cabin award, so you paid a broken fare of A-B and B-C, and the A-B in X you cannot waitlist for I because of the broken/mixed cabin fare." That is told even in cases where it is a through A-C "I" fare. But of course the agents refuse to look at fare calculation and won't even share it with you (as it would expose their lie).
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly. And the most common excuse (lie) is that you are told "oh, you bought a mixed cabin award, so you paid a broken fare of A-B and B-C, and the A-B in X you cannot waitlist for I because of the broken/mixed cabin fare." That is told even in cases where it is a through A-C "I" fare. But of course the agents refuse to look at fare calculation and won't even share it with you (as it would expose their lie).
I understand what you're saying, but, just like everyone who expects UA to continue a waitlisting program that is clearly dead as soon as somebody remembers to update the website, you're missing a fundamental point. There is no chart. Therefore, even if you were booked on a through fare, there's no way to know that it wouldn't have been priced differently if I space had been available all the way through. We just don't know -- they don't tell us what the inputs to the pricing algorithm are. UA's switch to a fully dynamic pricing model for awards makes the entire concept of waitlisting meaningless.

Waitlisting, whether of a mixed-cabin itinerary or the Plan B variety, only makes sense in a world where you can look at a chart and find out what a saver award should cost. We're no longer in that world, and waitlisting, as a concept, no longer makes sense.
SPN Lifer and manodeep like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.