Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 22, 17, 4:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw View Post
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 14, 12, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Unhappy Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

It looks like the ability to waitlist for award seat became another casualty of this merger. I have award flight in X booked on CO prior to the merger. Now I need to have my return flight move to the following day. The flight is several months away but there no award seats available for the next day. I just got off the phone with United rep and was told that it’s not possible to waitlist for award seats, it’s only possible as part of an upgrade. I know that last year I was able to waitlist for more convenient CO award flight in X with no problems; I think they even allowed me to get waitlisted for two different flights on the same day and I didn’t have status with neither UA nor CO.

Last edited by Kpoxa; Mar 14, 12 at 1:28 pm
Old Mar 14, 12, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hang up and call again - I have multiple waitlists on a bunch of reservations for both a n/s alternative to a connecting flight, along with waitlisting a higher class of service on a domestic leg portion of an int'l F ticket
Old Mar 14, 12, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Hang up and call again - I have multiple waitlists on a bunch of reservations for both a n/s alternative to a connecting flight, along with waitlisting a higher class of service on a domestic leg portion of an int'l F ticket
Maybe only elites can do that now. I don't have status with UA.
Old Mar 14, 12, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kpoxa View Post
Maybe only elites can do that now. I don't have status with UA.
That shouldn't matter - they'll just waitlist you for the "all flyers" award bucket (say X) instead of the "elite flyers" bucket (XN)

Agents' responses are so variable at this point with all the confusion going on
Old Mar 14, 12, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SW, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, TYN
From a newbie.

I'm in the same situation as OP. Have a saver award for a non stop from OGG to SFO in early 2013. Would like to get on a wait list for a non stop flight earlier on the same day, but saver award for that flight shown as not available. I called CS and was told that I could not get on a wait list. Is this because I have no special status or because they just don't do wait lists any more (or I just got bad information from CS)? Should I keep trying?
Old Mar 14, 12, 2:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
I had no idea that we can waitlist award tickets. That is pretty cool.

Does the waitlist work for saver awards and regular award tickets?

Appreciate the heads up.
Old Mar 14, 12, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by gdemander View Post
I was able to wait list for an IAH-HNL-GUM flight 11 months out with no status a few years ago. Of course, the IAH-HNL legs didn't clear either way but it was nice to one I was waitlisted and didn't have to keep calling. Glad to seethe feature seems to have survivrped the cut.
Old Mar 14, 12, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gdemander View Post

Does the waitlist work for saver awards and regular award tickets?

Appreciate the heads up.
It's a nice feature - works for co-terminals too

I only do Savers, can only assume it works for "regular" (if you mean the overpriced, last seat Standard awards that you should try and stay away from booking)

The kinds of WL I'm aware of:

1. Booked in a lower cabin on a higher int'l itinerary - WL the higher cabin (be it a short domestic leg or a long int'l one)
2. Have a multi-segment trip, WL a non-stop
3. Plan B (still available?) - get confirmed in Y, but pay the C fare and get a WL C segment
Old Mar 14, 12, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

I tried calling again and got the same answer: it’s not possible to waitlist for award seat (X). The way UA rep explained this to me is that I can only waitlist for (X) seat if I purchased revenue ticket on the same flight but would like to use miles in case award seat becomes available. This whole thing makes very little sense.
Can someone please confirm that he/she was able to waitlist for award (X) ticket after the merger without having any UA status?
Old Mar 14, 12, 8:01 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
For those who say waitlists are allowed, are they permitted on multi-carrier iteneraries? Or just on UA-metal only?
Old Mar 14, 12, 8:46 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
It's a nice feature - works for co-terminals too

I only do Savers, can only assume it works for "regular" (if you mean the overpriced, last seat Standard awards that you should try and stay away from booking)

The kinds of WL I'm aware of:

1. Booked in a lower cabin on a higher int'l itinerary - WL the higher cabin (be it a short domestic leg or a long int'l one)
2. Have a multi-segment trip, WL a non-stop
3. Plan B (still available?) - get confirmed in Y, but pay the C fare and get a WL C segment
The waitlist I need is actually to downgrade. The horror! But presently I'm in Y and my son's in saver F (can you tell who's on the paid ticket and who has the award?). There were no saver seats available in either Y or C, and a standard Y r/t to Europe at 110k miles is too close to a saver F at 137k to make the Y ticket worth considering. Hoping to find a seat in C open up. Of course, he's pretty happy with F... especially since the TATL portion (ORD-FRA) in in seat #1 on a 747.
Old Mar 14, 12, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gba View Post
For those who say waitlists are allowed, are they permitted on multi-carrier iteneraries? Or just on UA-metal only?
Yup - I currently have UA n/s C waitlists on the following C itineraries:

1. LX JFK-GVA-BCN (WL EWR-BCN)
2. TP BCN-LIS-EWR (WL BCN-EWR)
3. NH HKG-NRT, UA NRT-EWR (WL HKG-EWR)

One that's a Y itinerary for non-elite parents for miles coming out of their accounts:
UA PDX-SEA-EWR (WL PDX-EWR)

Plus a bunch where I'm WL the domestic F cabin on an intl F award, but only domestic Y available for now
Old Mar 15, 12, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by donsug View Post
From a newbie....
<...snip...>

Welcome to FlyerTalk, donsug!
Old Mar 18, 12, 9:01 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by Kpoxa View Post
It looks like the ability to waitlist for award seat became another casualty of this merger. I have award flight in X booked on CO prior to the merger. Now I need to have my return flight move to the following day. The flight is several months away but there no award seats available for the next day. I just got off the phone with United rep and was told that it’s not possible to waitlist for award seats, it’s only possible as part of an upgrade. I know that last year I was able to waitlist for more convenient CO award flight in X with no problems; I think they even allowed me to get waitlisted for two different flights on the same day and I didn’t have status with neither UA nor CO.
I was just wait listed on fare bucket (IN) for a flight from BOS-IAD, which is the first leg of a BOS-IAD-NRT-TPE flight, where the rest of the itinerary had confirmed Saver First seats. Does anyone know when the award wait list starts to clear? Is it dependent on status (I'm 1K, my wife is Silver, we're traveling together but on different record locators)?
Old Mar 18, 12, 9:12 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, AA LT Plat (HT BD), Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Delta, BA
Yup - I currently have UA n/s C waitlists on the following C itineraries: ...
Please forgive what might be a basic question. I checked the glossary and Googled it without success.
What is “n/s”?
Thanks.

Search this Thread