Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Waitlisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United
Waitlisting options
  1. Waitlist for alternative flights times / routing
  2. Waitlisting for a different cabin
From the above link on waitlisting for a different cabin: You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Waitlisting can only be done over the phone, not online.
You can not book a standard award and then waitlist for a saver award.
If waitlisting for a higher cabin, best if done at the time of booking or soon afterward.
If done more than 24 hours after booking you may be charged an award change fee.
Generally, the waitlisted class mileage is deducted at time of request and will be refunded if unsuccessful
When waitlisting for a higher, state you are waitlisting for I (or IN if a plat or higher) -- do not use the word "upgrade", it may confuse the agent

If waitlisting for a segment when the rest of the segments are already in the higher cabin, there is no refund if unsuccessful

Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to waitlist for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. The maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
At the airport, if you have not yet cleared for the higher cabin waitlist, you should be listed on the standby upgrade list (your priority on the waitlist is not well understood -- below are some conflicting theories)

Note: The correct priority term here may, in fact, be a code that is one of WAX, WBX, WCX, or WDX depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status”* which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with "PR-1 status"* then find another one who will. With this status, the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1* status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).
* note "PR-1" may not be the correct term, see the Wxx note proceeding this section

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seems to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.

Related thread - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

Archive of past posts - Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jsloan
I suspect waitlisting for awards, in any situation, is on the way out. I do agree that they should honor the published policies until they update them, but it doesn't seem like that bothers them much at this point.
I had no choice but to file a DoT complaint on United refusing to honor this policy of theirs, as a matter of principle, though I hate to waste their time on something so trivial. It's likely the only way to get through to someone at UA who can do this. Too many to count res contacts all ended up the same, me being told some nonsense excuse, and when I provide the agents with the policy they ignore it or otherwise just keep insisting on the opposite (e.g., that only revenue tickets can be waitlisted). Contacted CS. Was told to HUACA with reservations and try again and again until I get a competent sounding agent. CS confirmed that the policy is alive and in effect, but also effectively acknowledged that reservations agents are clueless and that HUACA is needed to get through to someone competent who actually knows the policies and procedures. ...sigh
jsloan, SPN Lifer and beltway like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:48 am

Upgrade on Saver Business Award that has Y dom segment

If I recall correctly, one can be put on the upgrade list for the domestic segment of a mixed class award ticket where the intl. part is booked in J and the domestic part was only avail in Y.
If this is still accurate, how is it done and how do I explain it to an agent. I've gotten done before but it always seems to be a PITA....last time I was added at the airport.

TY for any advice.

A2Y
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allergictocoach
If I recall correctly, one can be put on the upgrade list for the domestic segment of a mixed class award ticket where the intl. part is booked in J and the domestic part was only avail in Y.
If this is still accurate, how is it done and how do I explain it to an agent. I've gotten done before but it always seems to be a PITA....last time I was added at the airport.
It's still in the rules, but it's become increasingly difficult if recent reports are to be believed.

Ask to "waitlist for I" or "waitlist for business" or something similar -- don't use the work "upgrade." But even then, you may have issues.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:54 am

It's still in the rules, but it's become increasingly difficult if recent reports are to be believed.

Ask to "waitlist for I" or "waitlist for business" or something similar -- don't use the work "upgrade." But even then, you may have issues.
Thank you - I know I've gotten it done before and when on the list, I have always been at/near the top w no status. Searched high and low and have not found any information on it....rules/reports etc.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you - I know I've gotten it done before and when on the list, I have always been at/near the top w no status. Searched high and low and have not found any information on it....rules/reports etc.
I would not expect to be anywhere near the top of the list these days, as more and more people are putting upgrade instruments even onto short flights.

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...ir-awards.html

The rules for waitlisting are in the "United air travel rules" section at the bottom of the page.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 10:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

It appears agents are no longer trained on this process and are not even aware it can be done. Reading the rules may not help. You need an agent willing to learn.try.

Second issue is dynamic award pricing, agents / supervisor will try to insist they can not price the award change in advance, but a true saver award is "fixed" . But that pushback is not easy to resolve.

Also, this only works if the other awards are I or IN.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It appears agents are no longer trained on this process and are not even aware it can be done. Reading the rules may not help. You need an agent willing to learn.try.

Second issue is dynamic award pricing, agents / supervisor will try to insist they can not price the award change in advance, but a true saver award is "fixed" . But that pushback is not easy to resolve.

Incredibly frustrating process as I read thru this thread. I take it UA does not have anyone that monitors FT concerns any longer. So crazy how no one knows how to do it but they know a 1000 reasons why you can't.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 1:34 am
JKD
Original Poster

i think i'll try to call ....

chat agents have always responded with "it's not possible" after a long wait for the past week; I'll try calling ..... thanks for the updates ....

Last edited by JKD; Nov 4, 2023 at 1:35 am Reason: added more time information
Old Nov 4, 2023, 2:52 am

Programs: AA Plat
Currently standing in line at pwm trying to do this exact process. PWM-ORD in X. ORD-YYC in I. 30k miles. This used to be a slam dunk! Both phone reps and one chat have refused. Even after checking with supe. Been told many pseudo correct things. No option to upgrade with miles. No option for cash. Have to pay to waitlist. Cannot so within 24 hours. Cannot do in advance of airport. Must have paid for ticket with credit card. Married segments apply. The mixed cabin penalty was already baked into the price. Etc. I may just purchase the darn “upgrade” lol altho it’s really NOT funny!

Update: close but no cigar. Both agents downstairs (here) seemed willing to help but told me to ask the gate agent. So I went to the gate and got the same agent as downstairs. Originally there was going to be an empty F seat so he said the GA could add me. But upstairs, another first pax appeared making the cabin full after upgrades. he said it wouldn’t even let him waitlist me at that point. He did offer Economy plus which I was grateful for!

years ago I used to lament how we had to huca 2-3x to get a competent agent. Now I (haha) long for those days!!!!

Last edited by sexykitten7; Nov 12, 2023 at 7:16 pm Reason: still possible via twitter if one leg in I :)
Old Nov 4, 2023, 7:46 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by sexykitten7

years ago I used to lament how we had to huca 2-3x to get a competent agent. Now I (haha) long for those days!!!!
If you have a UA credit card (& minimal status) you get on the upgrade list anyway, sometimes enough to secure the upgrade.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive

TY for any advice.

A2Y
Been trying to do this for many weeks. Spent 10s of hours on it. Agents just refuse to follow the published policy and do this, though it's super easy and quick for them to do that. CS and CS escalation tells me, literally, to HUACA, that it is res agents job to do it, that the policy is valid and in effect, and if I get an uncooperative res agent to HUACA until I get a good one. I've done HUACA (with chat mostly) until I'm blue in the face, still nothing.

Good luck. If you managed to pull it off, please let the rest of us know how did you do it.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RealHJ
.... I've done HUACA (with chat mostly) until I'm blue in the face, still nothing......
Chat agents are likely newer and were never trained on this and have never done this.

You best bet is to find an old school agent / supervisor -- more likely a phone agent?

Also after enought tries, your PNR is likely to get marked as already requested and declined -- which discourages future agents.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 4, 2023 at 8:31 pm Reason: too many HUCA
Old Nov 5, 2023, 1:31 am

To add recent data points, I have successfully managed to get XN->I for trips in Apr & May 2023 (2 pax) and then Aug and Sep 2023 (1 pax), and Mar 2024 (2 pax). Once I get to the knowledgeable agent, it goes pretty fast (but still 30+ mins) but it has been taking 2-3 tries to get to the knowledgeable agents. I have not had any success on the general line and have had to re-routed to the premier desk (based internationaly so don't know the direct premier desk number). 100% success rate so far.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by manodeep
.... have had to re-routed to the premier desk (based internationaly so don't know the direct premier desk number). ....
There is no direct public line (GS have a non-public phone number), all based on your status
Old Nov 5, 2023, 9:04 pm

There is no direct public line (GS have a non-public phone number), all based on your status
Ahhh great - thanks for that info 🙂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.