FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324831-consolidated-waitlist-award-seats-questions-issues.html)

JKD Jan 5, 2023 12:33 pm

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

hi, wondering if anyone has been able to waitlist for United biz class saver in 2023 or should i call back for a different agent ? This agent consulted with her supervisor and said that with the new dynamic pricing model for mile usage, no more waitlisting in I class .... thoughts ? We are both Million Milers flyer, looking for a simple SFO-TYO roundtrip. thanks in advance.

cfischer Jan 5, 2023 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by JKD (Post 34896041)
hi, wondering if anyone has been able to waitlist for United biz class saver in 2023 or should i call back for a different agent ? This agent consulted with her supervisor and said that with the new dynamic pricing model for mile usage, no more waitlisting in I class .... thoughts ? We are both Million Milers flyer, looking for a simple SFO-TYO roundtrip. thanks in advance.

That's wrong. You can't waitlist for JN, but you can waitlist for I/IN which is not dynamic. Has always been hit/miss getting these done. Try HUCA.

jsloan Jan 5, 2023 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by JKD (Post 34896041)

Waitlisting is still in the rules: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...vel/types.html

And since there's a "Starting on January 1, 2023" rule about PQF/PQP earning immediately above it, it's clear that the people running MileagePlus haven't forgotten about this page. :)

I fully expect waitlisting to disappear eventually, but I don't see any sign that it's disappeared just yet.

JKD Jan 5, 2023 2:29 pm

thanks bunches for the quick info; glad to hear and will HUCA later today - maybe I'll get a different call center (Hawaii ? they've always been up to date on the rules) ... looking forward to getting back in the air !!!!

car94102 Jan 8, 2023 5:04 pm

True rule or a HUCA situation?

I have an award ticket with SFO-LAX (XN): LAX-LHR (I): LHR-CPH (X). I asked an agent to waitlist me for SFO-LHR (IN). After talking with a supervisor, the agent said I needed both SFO-LAX and LAX-LHR to be in business in order for me to waitlist SFO-LHR (IN). The agent did waitlist me for IN for the SFO-LAX segment. Is this a HUCA situation-- i.e. the right agent might waitlist me for SFO-LHR in IN? Or is this truly a rule, and I should I not expect to get what I want with repeated HUCA? Thanks for reading.

jsloan Jan 8, 2023 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by car94102 (Post 34905831)
I have an award ticket with SFO-LAX (XN): LAX-LHR (I): LHR-CPH (X). I asked an agent to waitlist me for SFO-LHR (IN). After talking with a supervisor, the agent said I needed both SFO-LAX and LAX-LHR to be in business in order for me to waitlist SFO-LHR (IN). The agent did waitlist me for IN for the SFO-LAX segment. Is this a HUCA situation-- i.e. the right agent might waitlist me for SFO-LHR in IN? Or is this truly a rule, and I should I not expect to get what I want with repeated HUCA? Thanks for reading.

You're playing with fire here. As nearly as I can tell, it should be allowed by the rules — but if you do get someone to waitlist you for SFO-LHR, and it clears, your ticket will need to be reissued. That could potentially cause you to lose your reservation on LHR-CPH. (It's not supposed to, but problems with reissued award tickets pop up frequently enough that UA changed its entire workflow for making award changes to try to prevent them). There's no specific rule covering it, but this seems pretty close:

Ticketed customers may waitlist for travel in a premium cabin for an alternate flight. Reservations where all segments are waitlisted without any confirmed segments are not permitted.
It doesn't say anything about needing to be in I all the way on the other flight. (It doesn't say that you don't need to be in I, either).

car94102 Jan 8, 2023 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 34905856)
You're playing with fire here. As nearly as I can tell, it should be allowed by the rules — but if you do get someone to waitlist you for SFO-LHR, and it clears, your ticket will need to be reissued. That could potentially cause you to lose your reservation on LHR-CPH. (It's not supposed to, but problems with reissued award tickets pop up frequently enough that UA changed its entire workflow for making award changes to try to prevent them). There's no specific rule covering it, but this seems pretty close:

It doesn't say anything about needing to be in I all the way on the other flight. (It doesn't say that you don't need to be in I, either).

Thanks. I’ll heed the “playing with fire” warning re: ticket re-issuing.

wpcoe Jan 9, 2023 10:33 am

I have an award booking with BKK-TPE-IAH on BR booked in I, and IAH-MID on UA in XN for 110k miles. Any ideas how much the "price" would increase if I were able to waitlist for IN on the IAH-MID segment?

I find available routings with BKK-TPE on BR in I, and TPE-IAH-MID on UA in JN for 190k, but that's not a relevant comparison, or is it?

[edited to add:]
I originally posted this in the wrong section and a mod kindly moved it here, But, oh, no! I just read jsloan 's warning about "playing with fire":

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 34905856)
You're playing with fire here. As nearly as I can tell, it should be allowed by the rules — but if you do get someone to waitlist you for SFO-LHR, and it clears, your ticket will need to be reissued. That could potentially cause you to lose your reservation on LHR-CPH. (It's not supposed to, but problems with reissued award tickets pop up frequently enough that UA changed its entire workflow for making award changes to try to prevent them).

If the waitlist would clear for IN on my IAH-MID flight, would the acceptance of the waitlist clearance and the ticket reissueance be automatic, or is it intercepted and handled by a human? If the latter, would they let me know in advance before reissuing the ticket if I were going to lose the BR segments?

jsloan Jan 9, 2023 11:25 am

Originally Posted by wpcoe (Post 34907841)
If the waitlist would clear for IN on my IAH-MID flight, would the acceptance of the waitlist clearance and the ticket reissueance be automatic, or is it intercepted and handled by a human? If the latter, would they let me know in advance before reissuing the ticket if I were going to lose the BR segments?

This is a different situation, because you're waitlisting for a different cabin on the same routing, vs. trying to waitlist on a different routing. When you keep the same routing, UA can (and does) revalidate the ticket rather than reissuing it. While that seems like a minor, technical distinction, the difference is crucial: a revalidated ticket keeps the same ticket number, and therefore will not cause the problems with other carriers' reservations that a reissued ticket can. Basically, you can think of revalidation as UA putting a sticker on your ticket and saying "you're good to go," whereas reissuance involves UA turning your old ticket into credit, ripping it up, and giving you a new one. So what you're talking about is safe, whereas what the other poster was talking about incurs some risk.

To answer your question, assuming you booked this via a single search from BKK to MID, there should be no charge for waitlisting IN, once you find someone you can do it.

wpcoe Jan 9, 2023 11:51 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 34908055)
To answer your question, assuming you booked this via a single search from BKK to MID, there should be no charge for waitlisting IN, once you find someone you can do it.

When they did away with the published mileage award charts, I didn't know how things were being priced. So, the assumption is that at 110k miles, this is priced as a Business (Saver?) award from BKK to MID already?

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 34908055)
This is a different situation, because you're waitlisting for a different cabin on the same routing, vs. trying to waitlist on a different routing. When you keep the same routing, UA can (and does) revalidate the ticket rather than reissuing it. While that seems like a minor, technical distinction, the difference is crucial: a revalidated ticket keeps the same ticket number, and therefore will not cause the problems with other carriers' reservations that a reissued ticket can. Basically, you can think of revalidation as UA putting a sticker on your ticket and saying "you're good to go," whereas reissuance involves UA turning your old ticket into credit, ripping it up, and giving you a new one. So what you're talking about is safe, whereas what the other poster was talking about incurs some risk.

Ah, I missed the fact that the other poster was waitlisting SFO-LHR while confirmed on SFO-LAX-LHR and I thought that my ticket would be repriced and would need to be reissued. Glad you straightened that all out for me. Thanks!

findark Jan 9, 2023 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by wpcoe (Post 34908144)
When they did away with the published mileage award charts, I didn't know how things were being priced. So, the assumption is that at 110k miles, this is priced as a Business (Saver?) award from BKK to MID already?

For now, I/IN class is still chart-based even if they don't publish the chart.

Dpetryszyn Jan 10, 2023 1:20 pm

Booked on LHR to EWR in IN and EWR to LAX in XN.Total price was 60k miles and about $200. If I want to waitlist for the direct LHR to LAX flight, how many miles should I expect the agent to ask for so that I know if the agent is on the right track.

jsloan Jan 10, 2023 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn (Post 34911947)
Booked on LHR to EWR in IN and EWR to LAX in XN.Total price was 60k miles and about $200. If I want to waitlist for the direct LHR to LAX flight, how many miles should I expect the agent to ask for so that I know if the agent is on the right track.

None. The I/IN rates are the same, connections or not, when you book (as you did) in a single search from origin to destination.

Dpetryszyn Jan 10, 2023 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 34912063)
None. The I/IN rates are the same, connections or not, when you book (as you did) in a single search from origin to destination.

Sweet! Theoretically, would I be able to be waitlisted on the LHR-LAX flight and also the EWR-LAX leg on the original itinerary?

jsloan Jan 10, 2023 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn (Post 34912180)
Sweet! Theoretically, would I be able to be waitlisted on the LHR-LAX flight and also the EWR-LAX leg on the original itinerary?

The system will allow it, but my reading of the rules suggests that it's against policy. It doesn't hurt to ask.