Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What!!! Complimentary Upgrades only clear for YBM fares within the window?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What!!! Complimentary Upgrades only clear for YBM fares within the window?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by mh3265a
YEP - a lot of us 1Ks have feared what you experienced. When you let anyone using an instrument to upgrade before a 1K on a CPU you'll move down a number of notches in the system.
Where is "anyone" going to get an instrument? Silver/Gold don't get any. Plat's get 2 -

Anyone who flys to a gold or silver level isn't likely to spring for 20k miles for an upgrade.

Who are the "anyone's"?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by thach1ef
You're totally missing the point. Upgrade rates are based on upgrade rules. The rates don't matter one bit, because the rules are the first thing we have to deal with. Just because you are 100% now and 100% before doesn't mean that 1K's have it better. You'd have to look at every single 1K and compare their upgrade rates if that's the route you want to go.

A much simpler and straightforward method is just looking at the upgrade rules. Now that I know you were only referring to PMCO, it's kinda different. But from a PMUA perspective, the upgrade rules have now put NUMEROUS people in front of me that weren't there before.

That alone will effect my upgrade rates. Whether it happens now, or in 2 months, or in 2 years. It will happen. And that's why upgrade rules > upgrade rates. Rates only tell you about the past.
I get your point that it is a downgrade for a PMUA 1K. I guess my point is that from PMCO experience the impact was a very minor one (having lived under these rules). I suspect this rule will not have a significant impact on future upgrade rates for 1K's. In the grand scheme of things there are other downgrades that concern me far more.

Originally Posted by mnmme
Where is "anyone" going to get an instrument? Silver/Gold don't get any. Plat's get 2 -

Anyone who flys to a gold or silver level isn't likely to spring for 20k miles for an upgrade.

Who are the "anyone's"?
Anyone would be people like my Silver wife who I use those 16 Regionals I earned last year on. Also my Globals (domestically) since I don't play the W lottery. Actually I am not sure if using my instruments now puts her at GS priority or not. It certainly puts her above 1K's on fares below M.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 14, 2012 at 5:46 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm also not sure what you mean that CPU doesn't "map" to R/RN bucket. The R/RN bucket is what you would upgrade into if CPU runs well.
I mean it's not a two-way street. Yes, CPU goes into R/RN. But just because there's R/RN doesn't mean CPU will happen. This is from a PM from UA Insider a couple of months ago. I can't think of any reason she would tell me this but not want it posted:

EUA will clear into R, but, not necessarily down to the last seat so there are cases where you could see R1 or R2 with complimentary upgrades still on the standby list.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club

Who are the "anyone's"?
The "anyone's" are literally anyone. Yes there are people who use miles for upgrades as well as 1Ks or Platinums who sponsor friends/family.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I mean it's not a two-way street. Yes, CPU goes into R/RN. But just because there's R/RN doesn't mean CPU will happen. This is from a PM from UA Insider a couple of months ago. I can't think of any reason she would tell me this but not want it posted:
I agree. Just because there is R/RN space doesn't mean CPU will work. That's true and has been well documented in other forums. I'm just saying that it appears there are still significant problems with the integrated system and because of the lack of transparency in SHARES there is no harm in PMing UAInsider. By your own admission, her PM response was from a few months ago when the sytem was operating as it was supposed to operate. In the end, the system may be working as it's supposed to but it's not clear it's operating well.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...I agree. Just because there is R/RN space doesn't mean CPU will work. That's true and has been well documented in other forums. I'm just saying that it appears there are still significant problems with the integrated system and because of the lack of transparency in SHARES there is no harm in PMing UAInsider. By your own admission, her PM response was from a few months ago when the sytem was operating as it was supposed to operate. In the end, the system may be working as it's supposed to but it's not clear it's operating well.
Hopefully you will now accept that the system is programmed to not deplete R/RN in some (many?) cases...it's not always a glitch (and I think you'll agree that it's no longer a "rumor" that this might happen by design). We pre-merger CO flyers have been dealing with this for several years, and so it's not all that new to us. Having said that, I'm pretty sure that there ARE major glitches in the system right now that are blocking legitimate CPU processing. Couple that with pre-merger UA's policy of instant CPU clearing inside the window with NC/NF>0 and you have all the ingredients for a major brouhaha.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: UA MP 1K ,AAEXP, Dollar, Marriott Gold,Hertz Gold,SIXT Platnium, CBP Global Entry,Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by globetraveler
The reason it's a "scheme" is because UA isn't offering these upsells to its best customers, rather only to non-elites.

Part of being a "for-profit" is keeping your most most loyal customers happy, and clearly upgrades are one of the few remaining perks that accomplish this.
Agreed, It really stings when you have a CONFIRMED upgrade, and they sell that seat out from under you to a kettle at the gate,
and then rebook you in E-,
which is exactly what happened to me Tues out of SFO. I do know that person that "paid" for First did so at gate merly seconds before I got there AND was not on the UGS list.
Oh, it was around the T-20mark when this happened, I was rebooked again back to E+ and was on board and seated at T-15

Originally Posted by avidflyer
The "Upgrade pending" box is gone so that not being there does not mean you are not on the list. The issue is, of course, confidence is pretty low given all the issues we have had. It is getting old and I am one of the posters who believe this is growing pains and not policy change. I hope they hire a team of consultants to just get this fixed. I dont care what it costs ...at this point UA is in serous jeopardy of losing a lot of very good customers.
Also, according to the aggressive GA in ORD Tues. that told me that the mobile site AND the gate screens were liers. We are no longer assigned numbers and the list is meaningless...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:30 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None of this is surprising. -UP fares have priority over CPU's. The entire purpose of selling those -UP fares is to take care of high-fare bucket pax (many of whom are last minute). If all of the available seats are processed at the 1K window, there's nothing left last minute and paying the -UP premium isn't worth it.

However one looks at it, the new system favors people who pay more over people who have accumulated miles and segments but at lower spends. This is clearly a strategic marketing decision by UA.

Where any individual falls on the question of whether they like it or not is more likely the product of where they fall as a customer:

1. Am I a person who has a low spend, but many miles/segments, or
2. Am I a person who buys high-fare bucket tickets
(not to mention that there is, of course cross-over. That is people who buy high fare bucket tickets and have a lot of miles / segments.

If I were a #1, I would favor the pre-3/3 system. If I were a #2, I would favor the new system.

Perhaps a more honest system would be to award status based on BIS $ spend, but whether or not that occurs, that's what the system effectively is today.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: UA - 1k, Hilton - Diamond, Hertz - 5 Star Gold
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
I suspect this rule will not have a significant impact on future upgrade rates for 1K's.
Since the merger 1k's have been posting furiously about how their upgrades are not going through as they used to and how they have dropped from 1-5 on the list to in the 20s and 30s. I can only assume that's going to continue next week as well. So does your future include next week?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
Anyone would be people like my Silver wife who I use those 16 Regionals I earned last year on. Also my Globals (domestically) since I don't play the W lottery. Actually I am not sure if using my instruments now puts her at GS priority or not. It certainly puts her above 1K's on fares below M.
You're giving your RPU's away because you don't need them? Your wife is Silver - she fly's a fair bit.

The majority of P/1K are going to use their RPU's for themselves.

If your a 1K and fly mostly domestic, your going to fly 30 - 50 segments a year. You get 4 RPU's - don't see how that can clog up the system to the extent we are seeing it since 3/3?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by thach1ef
Since the merger 1k's have been posting furiously about how their upgrades are not going through as they used to and how they have dropped from 1-5 on the list to in the 20s and 30s. I can only assume that's going to continue next week as well. So does your future include next week?
I think that the current problems over the next few weeks are different problems (i.e. the system not working correctly) rather than insturments, or YB upgrades. Note that I specifically dont include M as any sort of problem, since a 1K on an M would already be ahead of other 1K's not on a YB. I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if a 1K under what are basically PMCO rules would fare so poorly long term when Plats did will with those same rules in the past.

You're giving your RPU's away because you don't need them? Your wife is Silver - she fly's a fair bit.

The majority of P/1K are going to use their RPU's for themselves.

If your a 1K and fly mostly domestic, your going to fly 30 - 50 segments a year. You get 4 RPU's - don't see how that can clog up the system to the extent we are seeing it since 3/3?
I dont need my RPU's as a GS since I get upgraded anyway. I had >275K PQM (on pace for >300K this year), so yes I do give away a lot of upgrade insturments (nearly 30, so basically every segment my wife flew). Heck I used an expiring Global to upgrade her IAH-->MSY. If I did not get GS, and was a 1K, I would use them for myself.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I'm a Nobody in the whole scheme of things (Just a Premier)...

But my 3 flights since 3/3 all EWR<> MIA/FLL I've been bottom of the upgrade pile, which is fine.

But pre 3/3 there were maybe 10 people on the upgrade clear/waitinglist max for this route (probably had 20 or so segments on this past 1.25 years), and i'd get RN ~80% time. Now I'm seeing 15-34 people on the list regularly on these flights. I have 4 more in the next 3 weeks so we'll see how things change.

Is this how crowded the system has become?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Hopefully you will now accept that the system is programmed to not deplete R/RN in some (many?) cases...it's not always a glitch (and I think you'll agree that it's no longer a "rumor" that this might happen by design). We pre-merger CO flyers have been dealing with this for several years, and so it's not all that new to us. Having said that, I'm pretty sure that there ARE major glitches in the system right now that are blocking legitimate CPU processing. Couple that with pre-merger UA's policy of instant CPU clearing inside the window with NC/NF>0 and you have all the ingredients for a major brouhaha.
I've never NOT accepted that upgrades not necessarily run or R/RN space wouldn't be completely depleted at certain windows. I split my time between PMCO and PMUA over the last five years so I'm well aware of this problem. What is a rumor is what is actually happening at the windows.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that people PM UA Insider until things get sorted out.

Last edited by mh3265a; Mar 16, 2012 at 7:32 am Reason: fix grammar
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1

Where any individual falls on the question of whether they like it or not is more likely the product of where they fall as a customer:

1. Am I a person who has a low spend, but many miles/segments, or
2. Am I a person who buys high-fare bucket tickets
(not to mention that there is, of course cross-over. That is people who buy high fare bucket tickets and have a lot of miles / segments.

If I were a #1, I would favor the pre-3/3 system. If I were a #2, I would favor the new system.
I would hate the new system even more if I had spent the last 15 years concentrating my travel on one carrier, even when painful or more expensive to do so, to get to that magic 1K for life status to enjoy the fruits of my loyalty and efforts so that in retirement, and on the hopefully lower fares, I can still fly with the perks of hard earned status. Only to have the rules change. oh wait....I am that guy.

I just asked Alaska for a status match. far easier out of SEA. What's the point of continued loyalty? To hard, too expensive, and the perks of the effort appear gone for now, especially with the government contracts out of here all non-UA.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...What is a rumor is what is actually happening at the windows.....
Not if the debate centers on questions like "Why didn't I get upgraded at my window when there was R>0 before the sweep ran and there's STILL R>0??". It seems clear from two separate reports directly from representatives of the airline that in some cases the system is programmed to not deplete R/RN inventory. Of course, we CO flyers have known all along that this has been going on for a while, which led to speculation that the upgrade bucket was reduced/zeroed out for a millisecond during the sweep (effectively the same thing, I suppose).
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Not if the debate centers on questions like "Why didn't I get upgraded at my window when there was R>0 before the sweep ran and there's STILL R>0??". It seems clear from two separate reports directly from representatives of the airline that in some cases the system is programmed to not deplete R/RN inventory. Of course, we CO flyers have known all along that this has been going on for a while, which led to speculation that the upgrade bucket was reduced/zeroed out for a millisecond during the sweep (effectively the same thing, I suppose).
I think most of us are okay with the concept of "not depleting R" during an upgrade sweep. The issue is that often now it's R9 at a sweep interval, and then R9 after the interval. So either it's zeroing out (as you mentioned), or the rules in place have changed from before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.