FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What!!! Complimentary Upgrades only clear for YBM fares within the window?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:59 am
UA-NYC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Not if the debate centers on questions like "Why didn't I get upgraded at my window when there was R>0 before the sweep ran and there's STILL R>0??". It seems clear from two separate reports directly from representatives of the airline that in some cases the system is programmed to not deplete R/RN inventory. Of course, we CO flyers have known all along that this has been going on for a while, which led to speculation that the upgrade bucket was reduced/zeroed out for a millisecond during the sweep (effectively the same thing, I suppose).
I think most of us are okay with the concept of "not depleting R" during an upgrade sweep. The issue is that often now it's R9 at a sweep interval, and then R9 after the interval. So either it's zeroing out (as you mentioned), or the rules in place have changed from before.