Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What!!! Complimentary Upgrades only clear for YBM fares within the window?

What!!! Complimentary Upgrades only clear for YBM fares within the window?

Old Mar 12, 12, 1:10 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BOS (South End)
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Posts: 888
What!!! Complimentary Upgrades only clear for YBM fares within the window?

After 30 min on the phone with a PMUA agent regarding the mess of complimentary upgrades and why we are not clearing within the window especially when R>0 and not on the upgrades list he put me on hold then said only YBM fares will clear within the 120, 96, 72...window and everyone else is at the gate. He was dumbfounded as well and apparently said this was a totally new policy for him to comprehend.

I don't believe this...I understand that higher fares take priority in clearing and rev management is holding back seats and now offering buy ups till the last minute to board, but only potentially clearing at the gate now doesn't make sense.
Sterndogg is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:11 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: ORD / DUB / LHR
Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Posts: 8,243
This simply isn't true.
star_world is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:14 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MSN
Programs: UA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
Posts: 210
Originally Posted by star_world View Post
This simply isn't true.
It is not true. As I stated a bit ago, I had a ORD-BOS flight for tomorrow, on an S fare, clear CPU just inside the 72 hour window.

Agent doesn't know what they are talking about
i_fly_to_much is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:17 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: HNL
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 1,574
Why are PMUA agents (or any agents at this point) unaware of the correct policy? The CPU policy is on their website, can't they just read it? It really concerns me that UA employees don't know their own rules.
love_to_travel is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:18 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New England
Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 6,264
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Perhaps because the folks at CO didn't give them Adequate training considering they weren't even taught how to manually add to the upgrade list
demkr is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:23 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BOS (South End)
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Posts: 888
I didn't think it was legit either but goes to show that the "new" UA is a total disaster, and is the wild wild west with policy implementation, upgrades, etc. I don't fault the agent as he was clearly misinformed but certainly doesn't sit well.
Sterndogg is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:27 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New England
Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 6,264
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The upgrade policy is so confusing and complicated and nearly 90% based on SINGLE FLIGHT revenue vs loyalty. Other airlines prefer keeping it simple. 1K is slowly becoming a joke
demkr is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:28 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 43,692
Originally Posted by Sterndogg View Post
After 30 min on the phone with a PMUA agent regarding the mess of complimentary upgrades and why we are not clearing within the window especially when R>0 and not on the upgrades list he put me on hold then said only YBM fares will clear within the 120, 96, 72...window and everyone else is at the gate. He was dumbfounded as well and apparently said this was a totally new policy for him to comprehend.

I don't believe this...I understand that higher fares take priority in clearing and rev management is holding back seats and now offering buy ups till the last minute to board, but only potentially clearing at the gate now doesn't make sense.
It may not be true, but bet that it is the reality on a regular basis for routes with tough UG's. Now that a 1P in B beats a 1K in any discount fare bucket, you can bet that UA will hold UG seats for walk-up purchasers.
Often1 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:32 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: WI
Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Posts: 895
If you are talking the insant upgrade for YB and maybe M, you can do it online.
davef139 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:53 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating around
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 8,279
Originally Posted by demkr View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The upgrade policy is so confusing and complicated and nearly 90% based on SINGLE FLIGHT revenue vs loyalty. Other airlines prefer keeping it simple. 1K is slowly becoming a joke
This is a factually wrong statement. If you want to continue spewing garbage and hatred towards UA that's your choice but at least do it with the right information.

Status has and continues to trump the upgrade system. Yes, single flight revenue does play a role on that particular flight but it doesn't come even close to 90% that you claim. Y/B fares at the top - oh but status plays into that as well. Then M fares for 1K and then all other fares (of which there are *eleven* other coach fare codes that qualify for CPU).

-RM
RobOnLI is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:59 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Honolulu, HI
Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Posts: 1,223
I just had an issue this weekend. I was told by a UA IAD agent that: "the new united decided to eliminate System Wide Upgrades or upgrades with other instruments. So, I could not use any for my flight."

I unfortunately had to educate the lady, that she was incorrect, only the name was changed to GPU and showed her the website.
1KHI is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:01 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 2,823
Please pass this along to UA Insider so they can reinforce the correct policies to the call centers.

For all of you that continue to complain about CPU's not clearing just read the UA Insider posts. They have identified issues with the process but have not completely identified a root cause and ultimate fix (I don't think anyone is surprised by this).
nova08 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:28 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: AA EXP/3mm+, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 2,600
Originally Posted by nova08 View Post
Please pass this along to UA Insider so they can reinforce the correct policies to the call centers.

For all of you that continue to complain about CPU's not clearing just read the UA Insider posts. They have identified issues with the process but have not completely identified a root cause and ultimate fix (I don't think anyone is surprised by this).
Can someone please explain to me why I/WE have to do all of UA's work? Are they really THAT incompetent that we need to point out every issue? How about some proactive MANAGEMENT of employees and computer systems?

I am DONE trying to help THEM so they can turn around and hose me even more than they are already doing.

It's UA for heaven's sake...not some experimental startup airline from some Central African nation...
AAExPlat is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:32 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Just outside Houston, TX
Programs: wallet with varied plastic cards, UA MilegePlus, other airlines programs
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by AAExPlat View Post
Can someone please explain to me why I/WE have to do all of UA's work? Are they really THAT incompetent that we need to point out every issue? How about some proactive MANAGEMENT of employees and computer systems?

I am DONE trying to help THEM so they can turn around and hose me even more than they are already doing.

It's UA for heaven's sake...not some experimental startup airline from some Central African nation...
If a person does not want to be part of the solution....then...?

Without FTers identifying problems UA may not be aware of them.

I am glad there is a public forum such as FT where problems can be identified and accountability by UA in public view for all FTers to see.
TexasUA1 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 3:15 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: variously: PVG, LHR, SEA
Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Marriott Prem Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Posts: 1,677
Originally Posted by AAExPlat View Post

I am DONE trying to help THEM so they can turn around and hose me even more than they are already doing.

It's UA for heaven's sake...not some experimental startup airline from some Central African nation...
It's also only one week into a major system change. Give them a little bit of time to figure things out. If it's still bad in a month or two, I'll be right there with you at the ramparts.

But...the patience in here (i.e. people demanding to know why the website wasn't 100% correct on 3/4) seems to be in short supply. The haterade, not so much.
andrewwm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread