Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What!!! Complimentary Upgrades only clear for YBM fares within the window?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What!!! Complimentary Upgrades only clear for YBM fares within the window?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I think most of us are okay with the concept of "not depleting R" during an upgrade sweep. The issue is that often now it's R9 at a sweep interval, and then R9 after the interval. So either it's zeroing out (as you mentioned), or the rules in place have changed from before.
I'm not at all okay with that. IM has plenty of ways to control inventory. They don't need an extra super secret way to do that we can't monitor. It makes it feel like United is cheating, killing whatever trust is left. Tell us how the system is supposed to work, and let us see that it is actually working the way its supposed to. If R isn't allowed to drop to zero during a sweep we have no way of knowing whether the system is working or not.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
The Problems Continue

1K using RPU. I receivd notification that I was "waitlisted". At t -24, I did not see my name on the upgrade list. I called the 1K line and was told that my name does not show up on the list unless I am checked in. Sure enough, I check in and my name goes to position 1 but now the flight shows booked full. Was I ever on the list at all?

I am now on hold (for 45 minutes) to speak with a supervisor.

This still is not right---weeks later.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by demosthenes1
I'm not at all okay with that. IM has plenty of ways to control inventory. They don't need an extra super secret way to do that we can't monitor. It makes it feel like United is cheating, killing whatever trust is left. Tell us how the system is supposed to work, and let us see that it is actually working the way its supposed to. If R isn't allowed to drop to zero during a sweep we have no way of knowing whether the system is working or not.
I don't think it's unreasonable, IF it's R9 at T-96, to only let it go to R2 post-sweep - this does allow for mileage/RPU upgrades still to be processed, which gives late bookers a better shot especially if they're lower status.

Why does R have to drop all the way to 0 to know it's working? IF it drops 6-7 "amounts" right at a sweep window, we know it's working.

I wish R meant NF, but those days have passed. At this point I'd settle for knowing there was at least some correlation between R space and CPUs running at the windows, but that doesn't exist now.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by MichaelaMichaels
1K using RPU. I receivd notification that I was "waitlisted". At t -24, I did not see my name on the upgrade list. I called the 1K line and was told that my name does not show up on the list unless I am checked in. Sure enough, I check in and my name goes to position 1 but now the flight shows booked full. Was I ever on the list at all?

I am now on hold (for 45 minutes) to speak with a supervisor.

This still is not right---weeks later.
Hang up. The system worked fine.

You don't show-up on the upgrade waitlist until you've checked-in. You received correct information and the system worked as designed.

Generally if you've applied an instrument to a reservation that doesn't clear you'll see a duplicate segment when viewing the reservation showing the upgraded cabin with a note in red saying "this segment is waitlisted."
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I don't think it's unreasonable, IF it's R9 at T-96, to only let it go to R2 post-sweep - this does allow for mileage/RPU upgrades still to be processed, which gives late bookers a better shot especially if they're lower status.

Why does R have to drop all the way to 0 to know it's working? IF it drops 6-7 "amounts" right at a sweep window, we know it's working.

I wish R meant NF, but those days have passed. At this point I'd settle for knowing there was at least some correlation between R space and CPUs running at the windows, but that doesn't exist now.
But R can act like NF. R can be managed over time as appropriate. Mileage/RPU upgrades can still be processed later as additional R is released. What I am objecting to is an inventory category that we can't see.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Prior to 3/3, upgrades on this route cleared 100% of the time.

Originally Posted by belynch
Hang up. The system worked fine.

You don't show-up on the upgrade waitlist until you've checked-in. You received correct information and the system worked as designed.

Generally if you've applied an instrument to a reservation that doesn't clear you'll see a duplicate segment when viewing the reservation showing the upgraded cabin with a note in red saying "this segment is waitlisted."

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 16, 2012 at 8:50 am Reason: merge/edit
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by demosthenes1
But R can act like NF. R can be managed over time as appropriate. Mileage/RPU upgrades can still be processed later as additional R is released. What I am objecting to is an inventory category that we can't see.
I hear you - not saying I like it. I doubt we'll ever see R=NF, but if at least we knew the rule was something like "at sweeps clear CPUs down to R2, but never clear CPUs below R2 until T-24", we'd at least feel confident if we saw R9 right before a sweep window.

As we've seen the past two weeks, R9 is meaningless (unless using an instrument/miles of course).
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Prior to 3/3, upgrades on this flight cleared 100% of the time.
Must have been nice.
Doesn't mean the system is broken though.

ETA: My original reply came across as snarky, I apologize.

What I very un-eloquently was trying to say was that although past upgrade success is a good indicator for future upgrade success on specific flights, it is not an absolute indicator.

Not sure what the route is you're flying, but if there's a large event (NCAA tournament?), conference, or something unusual that may have created a temporary spike in premium traffic. Additionally, maybe revenue management re-evaluated the fare basis on the flight and manipulated it to get more revenue front-cabin passengers.

Or, maybe, you just got really unlucky and a handful of GS' beat you to it.

Last edited by belynch; Mar 16, 2012 at 8:59 am Reason: clarity
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I bought a B fare DEN-IAH-ATL ticket and then checked the "Instant Upgrade" button on the reservation for both legs. I was upgraded DEN-IAH but not on the IAH-ATL leg and I was put on the waitlist. Called UA and waited for an agent who told me that the Y/B/M upgrade is only available if seats are available in F. I pulled the seating availabliity again and asked her why I hadnt cleared as I had checked prior to buying the B fare and it showed:

United Economy (B)
Available Cabins: F2, JN1, Y4, YN4, B4, M1, E1, U1

She said she wasn't sure and that I should "just keep checking the website to see if it clears".

This was not a cheap ticket and purchased specfically in the B fare bucket to get the upgrade.

BTW, .bomb is offering to upgrade me on the IAH-ATL segment for 20K miles and show two seats available! Nice touch UA
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by limey1K
I bought a B fare DEN-IAH-ATL ticket and then checked the "Instant Upgrade" button on the reservation for both legs. I was upgraded DEN-IAH but not on the IAH-ATL leg and I was put on the waitlist. Called UA and waited for an agent who told me that the Y/B/M upgrade is only available if seats are available in F. I pulled the seating availabliity again and asked her why I hadnt cleared as I had checked prior to buying the B fare and it showed:

United Economy (B)
Available Cabins: F2, JN1, Y4, YN4, B4, M1, E1, U1

She said she wasn't sure and that I should "just keep checking the website to see if it clears".

This was not a cheap ticket and purchased specfically in the B fare bucket to get the upgrade.

BTW, .bomb is offering to upgrade me on the IAH-ATL segment for 20K miles and show two seats available! Nice touch UA
PN is needed for B/M Instant upgrades
JN for Y Instant upgrades

Both of these are searchable on expertflyer; normally also from what others reported if you purchase on united.com you DO have a chance to confirm the instant upgrade prior to payment final click through. Through your travel agent or offline ticketed you should use expertflyer.

PN seems to match ZN which is standard First/Biz Awards - This also seem to match regular farecodes A and P

JN seems to match regular seat availability in F - so a Y instant farecode upgrade means if a rev seat is available it's yours (so it seems)
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Full means system shows full; misconnects/no shows/flight changes can STILL give a little hope if you are #1 on the list.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
After 30 min on the phone with a PMUA agent regarding the mess of complimentary upgrades and why we are not clearing within the window especially when R>0 and not on the upgrades list he put me on hold then said only YBM fares will clear within the 120, 96, 72...window and everyone else is at the gate. He was dumbfounded as well and apparently said this was a totally new policy for him to comprehend.

I don't believe this...I understand that higher fares take priority in clearing and rev management is holding back seats and now offering buy ups till the last minute to board, but only potentially clearing at the gate now doesn't make sense.
I just received an email @ 7:31AM this morning, stating that my L fare ticket for a March 20, 7 AM flight cleared Elite upgrade.

It seems that this upgrade cleared at the 96 hour mark on L fare. Which appears to serve as a counter example to the statement from the phone agent.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
PN is needed for B/M Instant upgrades
JN for Y Instant upgrades

Both of these are searchable on expertflyer; normally also from what others reported if you purchase on united.com you DO have a chance to confirm the instant upgrade prior to payment final click through. Through your travel agent or offline ticketed you should use expertflyer.

PN seems to match ZN which is standard First/Biz Awards - This also seem to match regular farecodes A and P

JN seems to match regular seat availability in F - so a Y instant farecode upgrade means if a rev seat is available it's yours (so it seems)
Thanks for the info. That'll help on expectations in the future.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by davewang202
I just received an email @ 7:31AM this morning, stating that my L fare ticket for a March 20, 7 AM flight cleared Elite upgrade.

It seems that this upgrade cleared at the 96 hour mark on L fare. Which appears to serve as a counter example to the statement from the phone agent.
Good to know and yeah clearly there is a ton of confusion over there at corporate. My L fare LAS-IAH cleared at the 48hr mark this week.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
But you now have Silver/Golds/Plat's on Y/B fares and RPU's/Miles with priority ahead of you.

It only taked 2 or 3 of those to put leave you in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.