Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What!!! Complimentary Upgrades only clear for YBM fares within the window?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What!!! Complimentary Upgrades only clear for YBM fares within the window?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
The issue is that cert-supported upgrades and Y/B/M fares can clear immediately. Other "complimentary" upgrades do not necessarily clear right at the 100, 72, and 48 hour mark if there is R inventory, but once a day when CO, er UA, performs a "sweep".

Another downside to SHARES, but I think that explains the OP's problems.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
What is the purpose of the upgrade clearance windows if a "sweep" doesn't "sweep" at those time intervals?

I just experienced this issue for my upcoming flight SFO-LAX on Thurs. I'm within the 96 Hour Upgrade Window and approaching the 72 Hour mark, and United.com is showing R8. I've contacted the 1K desk twice regarding this issues (as my fear frankly is for other longer distance itineraries that this may affect) but both agents indicated that the itinerary was waitlisted. (one agent said i wasn't eligible until 24hrs. prior to departure)

This + the upsell upgrade scheme to non-elites is bad news for MP and a major negative for 1K's.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by globetraveler
What is the purpose of the upgrade clearance windows if a "sweep" doesn't "sweep" at those time intervals?

I just experienced this issue for my upcoming flight SFO-LAX on Thurs. I'm within the 96 Hour Upgrade Window and approaching the 72 Hour mark, and United.com is showing R8. I've contacted the 1K desk twice regarding this issues (as my fear frankly is for other longer distance itineraries that this may affect) but both agents indicated that the itinerary was waitlisted. (one agent said i wasn't eligible until 24hrs. prior to departure)

This + the upsell upgrade scheme to non-elites is bad news for MP and a major negative for 1K's.
Some call upselling a "scheme." Others call it marketing at a for-profit company.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Ok to add a data point...the first leg of my LAS-IAH-BOS flight on Thurs just cleared at the 72hr mark (prior to clearing was showing plenty of R space). Will see when/if the IAH-BOS leg clears later that night which still shows R7. Obviously agents don't know up from down over there and whole upgrade system still needs a reboot or cold start.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Often1
It may not be true, but bet that it is the reality on a regular basis for routes with tough UG's. Now that a 1P in B beats a 1K in any discount fare bucket, you can bet that UA will hold UG seats for walk-up purchasers.
This 1K welcomes this change and sees it as a meaningful benefit. For some of my projects I wind up needing to change my return flight virtually every trip so I buy flexible fares to avoid change fees. Last year if I changed my return 2 days in advance I would have trouble getting a decent seat in Y and F availability would be quite low. If I changed less than 24 hours there would typically be no F availability and middles in E- So even if I wanted to book F to avoid E- I couldn't. Now with the holding back of E+ and of UG chances I'm hoping I won't be penalized so much for having to make last minute changes to my travel. The way it was before seemed to most reward people who booked far in advance which seems a little backwards to me.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
Some call upselling a "scheme." Others call it marketing at a for-profit company.
The reason it's a "scheme" is because UA isn't offering these upsells to its best customers, rather only to non-elites.

Part of being a "for-profit" is keeping your most most loyal customers happy, and clearly upgrades are one of the few remaining perks that accomplish this.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TexasUA1
If a person does not want to be part of the solution....then...?

Without FTers identifying problems UA may not be aware of them.

I am glad there is a public forum such as FT where problems can be identified and accountability by UA in public view for all FTers to see.
Who says I am not trying to be part of the solution. The problem is that this has been going on for so long, and it has been so thoroughly ignored by UA that I don't see any point whatsoever to continue to expend my energy so they can ignore it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. As far as upgrades are concerned, all is working as it should from UA's perspective...

Originally Posted by andrewwm
It's also only one week into a major system change. Give them a little bit of time to figure things out. If it's still bad in a month or two, I'll be right there with you at the ramparts.

But...the patience in here (i.e. people demanding to know why the website wasn't 100% correct on 3/4) seems to be in short supply. The haterade, not so much.
The problem is that this has been going on for a long time. This isn't a merger integration issue. For those of us who were PMCO "globesters", this has been an issue for a long time. I expect nothing to change as time goes on.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
So to be clear -- can someone let me know...

I am 1K and have been for years, have a domestic flight on Friday. Booked in "L" class. Checked for upgrade this AM as we are now inside the 96 hour CPU window. Not upgraded, but not waitlisted or "pending" either (as I would have been at PMUA).

Do I need to do anything further or just sit and wait?

BTW and completly unrelated. Just when I was getting fed up with UA, I flew DL yesterday from DTW to LAX in F. Now I know why I threw in the towel on DL in 2005. Horrible service from the time I checked in to the time I claimed by bag. Not saying that all DL flights are like that, but the devil I know is certainly better than the devil I don't know.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:52 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by thumbun

I am 1K and have been for years, have a domestic flight on Friday. Booked in "L" class. Checked for upgrade this AM as we are now inside the 96 hour CPU window. Not upgraded, but not waitlisted or "pending" either (as I would have been at PMUA).

Just wait.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Status has and continues to trump the upgrade system.
According to the website, a Silver on a B fare will "trump" a 1K on any lower fare. In this case, fare is trumping status - wouldn't you agree? I'm not much for the hyperbole that has been spawned by the PSS migration problems, but I do think it is important to recognize that this is, indeed, a significant difference from how upgrades were processed at UA on March 2. Another significant change is that a general member or non-member waitlisted for a mileage upgrade will trump a 1K CPU. I'm not taking a side, but let's acknowledge that status does not, in fact, trump the upgrade system as it did on March 2.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by thumbun

BTW and completly unrelated. Just when I was getting fed up with UA, I flew DL yesterday from DTW to LAX in F. Now I know why I threw in the towel on DL in 2005. Horrible service from the time I checked in to the time I claimed by bag. Not saying that all DL flights are like that, but the devil I know is certainly better than the devil I don't know.
The "Upgrade pending" box is gone so that not being there does not mean you are not on the list. The issue is, of course, confidence is pretty low given all the issues we have had. It is getting old and I am one of the posters who believe this is growing pains and not policy change. I hope they hire a team of consultants to just get this fixed. I dont care what it costs ...at this point UA is in serous jeopardy of losing a lot of very good customers.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Just wait.
That's probably your best bet.

That said, in the interest of sharing knowledge gleaned from other threads, there is another option (not that I recommend it). It's possible to call, request a supervisor, complain, etc., and they will sometimes jam your upgrade through if you can see that they're selling upgrade offers on the web site and simply not clearing yours inside the window which they should be clearing you (i.e. 96 hours for 1K).

It'll take 3-4 calls, 5-10 agents, and 4-8 hours, and there's still no guarantee. You'll get a lot of replies like "just wait for the overnight batch process to run and it should upgrade you", but that has proven to be a total crapshoot (or, at worst, a delay tactic). And, frankly, you shouldn't have to wait overnight if you're within 96 hours and they're selling your seat to randoms.

In my anecdotal experience, there seem to be two buckets: bookings that actually get their CPU cleared at the appropriate window, and those that don't. If you're in the latter, I have no idea what will cause it to work other than calling UA and politely forcing the issue. Or you can wait patiently and not jam up the customer service queues for the rest of the people calling about their screwed-up complimentary upgrade.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - FT is full of ranters about this change, but I find it a good thing too. I very often make 4-5 changes to an itinerary and am therefore booked in a refundable/changeable fare bucket (usually Y/B if I'm in steerage - needless to say doesn't matter when I'm in paid FC bucket). I also do a fair amount of last minute TCON travel.

Have had two instances where F was sold out and all I could get was E- middle until the Club where it got fixed.

If I'm lucky my Y/B-UP will get me into FC immediately and, if not, at least I'll trump some guy paying 20% of what I'm paying.

Last edited by Often1; Mar 12, 2012 at 6:55 pm
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by 000123UA
According to the website, a Silver on a B fare will "trump" a 1K on any lower fare. In this case, fare is trumping status - wouldn't you agree? I'm not much for the hyperbole that has been spawned by the PSS migration problems, but I do think it is important to recognize that this is, indeed, a significant difference from how upgrades were processed at UA on March 2. Another significant change is that a general member or non-member waitlisted for a mileage upgrade will trump a 1K CPU. I'm not taking a side, but let's acknowledge that status does not, in fact, trump the upgrade system as it did on March 2.
It is a difference but I was at DL for a long time and they had a similar rule. The reality is YB fares are so expensive they are not going to do a lot to 1K/GS UG %'s. Yes they will happen but there are as few of those fares as people paying discount FC. A relatively small group.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by globetraveler
The reason it's a "scheme" is because UA isn't offering these upsells to its best customers, rather only to non-elites.

Part of being a "for-profit" is keeping your most most loyal customers happy, and clearly upgrades are one of the few remaining perks that accomplish this.
With a tiny amount of exceptions, this is false. In fact, 1Ks will get lower offers than anyone else due to their eligibility for M upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.