FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   What!!! Complimentary Upgrades only clear for YBM fares within the window? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324041-what-complimentary-upgrades-only-clear-ybm-fares-within-window.html)

Sterndogg Mar 12, 2012 12:10 pm

What!!! Complimentary Upgrades only clear for YBM fares within the window?

After 30 min on the phone with a PMUA agent regarding the mess of complimentary upgrades and why we are not clearing within the window especially when R>0 and not on the upgrades list he put me on hold then said only YBM fares will clear within the 120, 96, 72...window and everyone else is at the gate. He was dumbfounded as well and apparently said this was a totally new policy for him to comprehend.

I don't believe this...I understand that higher fares take priority in clearing and rev management is holding back seats and now offering buy ups till the last minute to board, but only potentially clearing at the gate now doesn't make sense.

star_world Mar 12, 2012 12:11 pm

This simply isn't true.

i_fly_to_much Mar 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by star_world (Post 18185357)
This simply isn't true.

It is not true. As I stated a bit ago, I had a ORD-BOS flight for tomorrow, on an S fare, clear CPU just inside the 72 hour window.

Agent doesn't know what they are talking about

love_to_travel Mar 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Why are PMUA agents (or any agents at this point) unaware of the correct policy? The CPU policy is on their website, can't they just read it? It really concerns me that UA employees don't know their own rules.

demkr Mar 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Perhaps because the folks at CO didn't give them Adequate training considering they weren't even taught how to manually add to the upgrade list

Sterndogg Mar 12, 2012 12:23 pm

I didn't think it was legit either but goes to show that the "new" UA is a total disaster, and is the wild wild west with policy implementation, upgrades, etc. I don't fault the agent as he was clearly misinformed but certainly doesn't sit well.

demkr Mar 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The upgrade policy is so confusing and complicated and nearly 90% based on SINGLE FLIGHT revenue vs loyalty. Other airlines prefer keeping it simple. 1K is slowly becoming a joke

Often1 Mar 12, 2012 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sterndogg (Post 18185350)
After 30 min on the phone with a PMUA agent regarding the mess of complimentary upgrades and why we are not clearing within the window especially when R>0 and not on the upgrades list he put me on hold then said only YBM fares will clear within the 120, 96, 72...window and everyone else is at the gate. He was dumbfounded as well and apparently said this was a totally new policy for him to comprehend.

I don't believe this...I understand that higher fares take priority in clearing and rev management is holding back seats and now offering buy ups till the last minute to board, but only potentially clearing at the gate now doesn't make sense.

It may not be true, but bet that it is the reality on a regular basis for routes with tough UG's. Now that a 1P in B beats a 1K in any discount fare bucket, you can bet that UA will hold UG seats for walk-up purchasers.

davef139 Mar 12, 2012 12:32 pm

If you are talking the insant upgrade for YB and maybe M, you can do it online.

RobOnLI Mar 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 18185476)

The upgrade policy is so confusing and complicated and nearly 90% based on SINGLE FLIGHT revenue vs loyalty. Other airlines prefer keeping it simple. 1K is slowly becoming a joke

This is a factually wrong statement. If you want to continue spewing garbage and hatred towards UA that's your choice but at least do it with the right information.

Status has and continues to trump the upgrade system. Yes, single flight revenue does play a role on that particular flight but it doesn't come even close to 90% that you claim. Y/B fares at the top - oh but status plays into that as well. Then M fares for 1K and then all other fares (of which there are *eleven* other coach fare codes that qualify for CPU).

-RM

1KHI Mar 12, 2012 12:59 pm

I just had an issue this weekend. I was told by a UA IAD agent that: "the new united decided to eliminate System Wide Upgrades or upgrades with other instruments. So, I could not use any for my flight."

I unfortunately had to educate the lady, that she was incorrect, only the name was changed to GPU and showed her the website.

nova08 Mar 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Please pass this along to UA Insider so they can reinforce the correct policies to the call centers.

For all of you that continue to complain about CPU's not clearing just read the UA Insider posts. They have identified issues with the process but have not completely identified a root cause and ultimate fix (I don't think anyone is surprised by this).

AAExPlat Mar 12, 2012 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by nova08 (Post 18185728)
Please pass this along to UA Insider so they can reinforce the correct policies to the call centers.

For all of you that continue to complain about CPU's not clearing just read the UA Insider posts. They have identified issues with the process but have not completely identified a root cause and ultimate fix (I don't think anyone is surprised by this).

Can someone please explain to me why I/WE have to do all of UA's work? Are they really THAT incompetent that we need to point out every issue? How about some proactive MANAGEMENT of employees and computer systems?

I am DONE trying to help THEM so they can turn around and hose me even more than they are already doing.

It's UA for heaven's sake...not some experimental startup airline from some Central African nation...

TexasUA1 Mar 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat (Post 18185939)
Can someone please explain to me why I/WE have to do all of UA's work? Are they really THAT incompetent that we need to point out every issue? How about some proactive MANAGEMENT of employees and computer systems?

I am DONE trying to help THEM so they can turn around and hose me even more than they are already doing.

It's UA for heaven's sake...not some experimental startup airline from some Central African nation...

If a person does not want to be part of the solution....then...?

Without FTers identifying problems UA may not be aware of them.

I am glad there is a public forum such as FT where problems can be identified and accountability by UA in public view for all FTers to see.

andrewwm Mar 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat (Post 18185939)

It's also only one week into a major system change. Give them a little bit of time to figure things out. If it's still bad in a month or two, I'll be right there with you at the ramparts.

But...the patience in here (i.e. people demanding to know why the website wasn't 100% correct on 3/4) seems to be in short supply. The haterade, not so much.