Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thinking of making the switch to United from Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:39 pm

Same Day Upgrades with United

I experimented with United last weekend, particularly because their fare from Nashville to Palm Springs and back was $430 as opposed to Delta's $1200.

Everything was wonderful except for the same-day travel policy. On the day I left, I wanted to leave earlier and connect through Houston instead of Denver. A seat was open 3 hours prior to my flight leaving; however because my fare was a "T" fare and the flight to PSP was a combination of "U" and "M" fares, United's website and telephone service wanted to charge me $150 plus change in fare (an extra $988) to make this change.

When I got to the airport, the agent said he could have done it at the gate; however that would be stretching the rules.

While Delta's change policy is somewhat limited (only applies to within 3 hours of takeoff), it doesn't matter what class of ticket I have nor what cities I connect through - if a seat is available, I can get it!

If Delta would have an evening flight to Salt Lake City from Nashville, it would encourage me to fly with them more.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Whether or not impossible rebookings are a good thing.

Originally Posted by aacharya
From what I see the computers made an itinerary change that wasn't doable. Many of us see that as a good thing - as the sky's the limit with rebooking.
Indeed. And when NW/DL's computers rebook a misconnect in a way that pushes me back several hours, during which several other flights leave, you bet I view it that way. More than a couple DL agents have found out because of me that PHL is within 100 miles of NYC and thus a valid destination for rebookings. Of course, it doesn't take 90 minutes on the phone when one has status...

You'll note, though, that as I just indicated, NW/DL rebooking computers prefer to err on the side of caution, while UA's err on the side of assuming that passengers can make it from gate to gate at near-sonic speeds or have other superpowers.

But still, I'm giving the DL-to-UA switch the old college try, to the tune of doing maybe 35-65K on them in the next 4 months, and seeing how they treat me. If it doesn't work out... well, work only buys fares that are competitive, so I'd just have to come up with enough discretionary income personally to pay DL's uncompetitive fares, I guess.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 21, 2012 at 8:15 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old May 11, 2012, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
UA & DL Trips

This week I flew on both UA and DL and here our my observations:

My UA trip was on UX EWR-YQB, operated by ExpressJet.

I did not have any problems with any part of this trip. I was able to book on the website and while the reservation did not instantly ticket, it did ticket within about 15 minutes.

OLCI was no problem. At OLCI I was able to select a better seat, closer to the front of the plane.

The EWR ground experience was fine. My flight left at 9:15 PM and Terminal C was virtually deserted. I went through security in about 3 minutes (I did notice a longer line, as usual, at "elite" security).

The flight left from C88, the downstairs pit where RJ's still depart at Terminal C.

Although our incoming flight was late, we boarded without incident (the GA was a hair gruff, but OK, this is EWR. We left on time.

When the FA made her welcome announcement she repeatdely mentioned "OnePass." When I told her that it had been renamed "MileagePlus" she reacted with disgust...

Arrived at YQB early.

On the return, went to the airport early for SDC. The UA personnel are contract employees working for Servisair. The ticket agent had a tough time with SDC in SHARES, so she just gave up in disgust and gave me the change at no cost...haaa I love SHARES.

The flight was uneventful, the F/A on this one was an older lady, really friendly. We arrived early at gate C130.

The next morning I took DL JFK-SLC-ONT. Arrived at the profoundly horrendous JFK T3 at 5:30 AM. I was the only person going through security. Went to the Gate 12 SkyClub, had some coffee and a bagel.

The DL flight was great. I had an exit row and worked the entire time on my computer using GoGo WiFi, which worked flawlessly.

The F/A's on DL were wonderful and friendly.

The SLC-ONT flight was on an E-170, very comfortable, arrived early.

This morning, I decided to come home to NY earlier, but DL's SDC policy is less generous than UA's. Still, changing to an earlier flight only cost me $190, $150 change fee + $40 in fare difference, and I got confirmed in exit rows all the way.

I had to call into a DL phone agent to make the change, and she was incredibly friendly and charming, a marked difference from the usual combative or curt PMCO phone agents.

All in all, both airlines were fine. I'd give DL a slight advantage because of friendlier overall service and WiFi. But both airlines got me to my destination on time and in one piece.

One final note: My DL miles posted immediately after my flights, but I'm still waiting for the UA miles to post in my account, given the "new" posting system at UA (which, of course, is the old CO system).
Old May 12, 2012, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
UA+DL experience last weekend

As I noted recently, I'm giving the merged UA+CO a try despite nothing but bad experiences with PMUA in years past.

With one PNR for me, and one for my wife and our 4-month-old (lap child), ITO-LAX-EWR, last weekend. I had put in for a DL-UA Gold status match. It came through about 1 day before the flight. At the 24-hour OLCI window, I got email saying my wife had been upgraded, and on OLCI, found I had as well. Okay, not bad. (And for anyone who's worried - the baby lived up to the phrase "sleep like a baby" our whole time in Row 4, and most people in F didn't even notice her when walking by.)

The flight was uneventful; there were pre-departure beverages and, contrary to reports from family who had done the same flight in F a few months back, there was hot food after takeoff on a 9pm red-eye. My wife said the cheeseburger was the first burger she'd ever had on a plane that she actually liked. Hot towels before landing were also good. (I know, you're not impressed, but this is on a 737, and I'm used to the good service being on widebodies.)

We had a ~3 hour layover at LAX, and although an earlier flight to EWR was available, we'd checked bags, so the GA said that it wouldn't be worth the SDC fees. Fortunately, the tunnel between T6 and T5 still exists, and now has electric carts that go back and forth through it at Ludicrous Speed (TM), so we were whisked over to make use of my lifetime Delta Sky Club membership, and then whisked back.

We were in back for the LAX-EWR run (front had the angled lie-flat seats), but still in Zone 1 for boarding by virtue of having been in F on the last flight. After some pre-takeoff fussing by the baby, another flight of mostly sleeping ensued. Arrival at EWR was fine, and our priority-tagged bags and car seat came out quickly. (I like the little protective "half-shell" things they put odd pieces of luggage in before sending them down the conveyor - hadn't noticed them when I used to fly PMCO in its SkyTeam days.)

So... for the first time in my life, I managed to go somewhere on UA without it being a total mess. I hope they can keep this up.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:47 am

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
Should I switch to UA? (From DL)

Ever since Delta dropped my local airport (ALO) I have been driving to the next closest, CID, for my travels. That does mean, however, that I now have a choice of carriers, and UA is one of them.

Most of my travel is to these airports: SFO/SJC, IAD, YYZ and YUL. YUL is usually for leisure and I'd be looking to use the miles I accrue to take my family there.

I do make occasional trips to Asia (SIN, BKK, CGK, KUL) and South America (GIG). At my current travel levels, I'm somewhere between 50-75k flown miles per year.

What matters to me? Minimized travel hassles (no fees, priority seating, quicker access to ticket counters, priority baggage handling), good mileage accrual and redemption rates (to help me make up for being a workaholic by taking my wife and kids on trips), and upgrades are nice too (but what I really need is leg room).

Right now I am a Platinum Medallion on Delta. I have a trip to Singapore coming up so I'm thinking I might be able to use that to help me quickly meet the terms of a challenge if I was to status match (not sure if United offers status matching to Delta folks right now).

Why am I even thinking of leaving Delta? 4 main reasons:

1) Delta is expensive. It has been consistently more expensive than United on recent searches. $600 more for that trip to Singapore I mentioned.
2) I am pretty pissed about the whole "Oops.. sorry we over-charged our elites.. it was a glitch! Thanks for the munniez tho!!"
3) My miles are increasingly worthless. I used to routinely fly my family of 4 round trip to YUL for 100k miles. Now it's really hard to do. Switching to *A would even let me redeem on Air Canada, right?
4) I am probably going to relocate to the Bay Area next year and I know SFO is a UA hub.

Delta seems to have decided that their FFs are a disease that must be cured.

Why do I hesitate to jump ship?

- I haven't flown United in a long time. Does it still suck?
- What status would they match me to? How does it compare to Delta Gold/Plat?
- No rollover means I have a greater risk of dropping to Kettle Class on a slow year.
- ORD connections - need I say more?
- Will I *ever* get upgraded flying to/from the Bay area?

Thanks to all who would take the time to share their thoughts.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:51 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Wait until you move to decide which (if any) airline you want to pledge allegiance to
Old May 21, 2012, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You have made up the reasons for you to jump ship from DL.

The issue is should you jump to UA or not.

In clarifying your concerns:

- I haven't flown United in a long time. Does it still suck?

Even worse. UA is an elite heavy airline. Upgrade will not as easy as DL.

- What status would they match me to? How does it compare to Delta Gold/Plat?

Platinum in most of the case - however, a challenge instead of a match will be mostly the case.

- No rollover means I have a greater risk of dropping to Kettle Class on a slow year.

During the merger, it has been discussed. But it gets nowhere.

- ORD connections - need I say more?

ORD is a general issue with the airport. If UA is screwed, so does AA.

- Will I *ever* get upgraded flying to/from the Bay area?

If you are not flying elite-heavy routes, it may still possible.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:54 am

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
I would switch for the reasons you mentioned, and despite of the reasons against that you mentioned (most of which are true), and despite the fact that many disappointed elites are leaving UA now (but mainly for AA). I still think despite the merger UA is better than DL. Be aware also that as UA Plat you will get only 75% bonus on flown miles, and only 50% bonus as a UA Gold.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Even with all the troubles on UA, I also think them better than DL.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:21 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
A few positive things about United

Excellent awards availability w *A and the new booking engine means you don't have to call to check award availability on partner airlines

Only 2 (Delta has 3) award categories

787 and the Route network (these our gonna be game changers (I don't believe that for a second but that's what I'm told

SHARES (you have not really ever had a true airline experience unless it was controlled by SHARES (who by the way is the step brother of H.A.L.

all joking aside, #1 and 2 above is true and important

UA is almost finished putting flat beds on ALL intl aircraft (a few more PMUA 777s and the PMCO 767-400s still need them. Way ahead of Delta here

NO MD-80s

And finally. I have sat next to a number of plats And even a few GOLDS in F on Unlimited Dom upgrades. Out of both IAH and SFO
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Question Status Match Questions

Hi all, I'm a DL guy for the most part, but need to take a trip next week where UA/SN was the best option. I have a ORD-BRU segment and then continuing on to EBB.

I called the MP service desk yesterday to inquire about being status matched. I'm currently Diamond at DL, and was told I would be matched to 1K and would need to fly 35k in 90 days to retain the status. Fair enough, and I could potentially swing it.

A couple questions I could not get answered, and am hoping you might be able to help me with.

-If matched to 1k, are you credited with any upgrade certificates for use?

-Are you able to use partner lounges when traveling internationally during the 90 day period?

Would love to hear of any experiences of those who have recently status matched. Based in IND there's never really one great option to take all the time, though I've managed to keep my business with DL for the most part. Any experiences would be most welcome! Many thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 3:39 pm

1k here and never got a complimentary upgrade since the merger. I wouldn't expect an upgrade if I was gold.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
People rarely post unless they have something to complain about on most message boards, so ... I'd give it a shot, assuming they fit your travel patterns and schedule.

I have had a great year as a 1K minus one notable cluster of IRROPS hell in March. But then, they took care of me in epic style after, so ... Whatever.

Cheers,
Adam
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:54 am

For me DL now has better cabin service. Out of PBI, for my destinations, DL has lower fares. For me, upgrading was easier on DL.

United service quality seems to be on the decline, but hopefully that changes. The best quality item of DL is the Woodford Reserve.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:12 am

No sense in reciting what everyone else has said. I'm in the same boat. This merger has made my head spin and I have a BAD taste in my mouth about the future to come. I hope all this mess will work itself out and that the SHARES integration is to blame for most of this mess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.