Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thinking of making the switch to United from Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking of making the switch to United from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
A few positive things about United

Excellent awards availability w *A and the new booking engine means you don't have to call to check award availability on partner airlines

Only 2 (Delta has 3) award categories

787 and the Route network (these our gonna be game changers (I don't believe that for a second but that's what I'm told

SHARES (you have not really ever had a true airline experience unless it was controlled by SHARES (who by the way is the step brother of H.A.L.

all joking aside, #1 and 2 above is true and important

UA is almost finished putting flat beds on ALL intl aircraft (a few more PMUA 777s and the PMCO 767-400s still need them. Way ahead of Delta here

NO MD-80s

And finally. I have sat next to a number of plats And even a few GOLDS in F on Unlimited Dom upgrades. Out of both IAH and SFO
Both UA and DL have their pros and cons (DL wins out by only a little bit in my book) but the best part of UA is NO M80S! I'll take a 320 over an '80 anyday
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, UA 1K, SPG Gold
Status Match/Challenge thru *A partners

As a Delta Diamond, I actually like their service and response, but it should come as no surprise to anyone here how much "SkyPesos" are beaten to death...

That said, I am considering a status challenge on UA for the more valuable miles, but I am reading in the terms that it only miles on UA count, NOT *A partners? Reading further, it seems I wouldn't get *G privileges either, which definitely sours the proposition a bit. Almost all of my travel is international, and traveling to Europe sounds much more appealing in LH or LX than UA., or NH/SG/TG to Asia.

Can anyone confirm that EQMs earned on partners indeed do NOT help reach the match requirement?

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Lots and lots of discussion here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ted-delta.html
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, UA 1K, SPG Gold
iGracias!

I will have a read through it, but any additional comments/anecdotes are appreciated. To be clear though, my question is specifically targeted to the status challenge process itself

Last edited by anotherTCKid; Jul 14, 2012 at 1:23 pm Reason: added third sentence
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:11 am

Thinking of coming to United... Am I crazy??

I am a Delta PM. I fly 100k+ per year all Domestic. I have been with Delta for a while and don't have any complaints about the service or the planes. My biggest gripe is my travel pattern is more in-line with what United offers. With Delta I have to connect the majority of the places I go.

I am based out of LAX. I have heard nothing but issues with United. Am I crazy for thinking about switching to United....? United seems to have better fares on most of the smaller markets I visit as well.

Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Welcome to FT, BigJimmy626.

If UA has better flights and cheaper, switching might work well. A caution, perhaps only for the next few months, is to check how well the flights you're likely to take are doing - there have been multiple reports of delayed/cancelled flights. Use UA's flight status tool to check on representative routes.

UA has done status matches years ago, don't know their current posture, but there's no harm in asking. W/ all the defections - such as mine to AA - UA is likely going to welcome DL flyers.

Another factor is time - it's mid year, so it would be difficult to accumulate much status this year w/out a challenge or match. Even if a move to UA is best for you, might be best to wait until Jan to make the move.

happy travels
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by bucketlist
Welcome to FT, BigJimmy626.

If UA has better flights and cheaper, switching might work well. A caution, perhaps only for the next few months, is to check how well the flights you're likely to take are doing - there have been multiple reports of delayed/cancelled flights. Use UA's flight status tool to check on representative routes.

UA has done status matches years ago, don't know their current posture, but there's no harm in asking. W/ all the defections - such as mine to AA - UA is likely going to welcome DL flyers.

Another factor is time - it's mid year, so it would be difficult to accumulate much status this year w/out a challenge or match. Even if a move to UA is best for you, might be best to wait until Jan to make the move.

happy travels

Thanks for the tips. I will contact them for a status match. I figure I don't have much to lose since I am PM on DL until 2014 at this point. I can try UA for a few trips and see if I like them. If not, I'll go back to DL.

Out of curiosity, how do you like AA?? They are an option for me as well.

Last edited by BigJimmy626; Aug 1, 2012 at 10:36 am Reason: Adding comment
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
look at the "DEALS & OFFERS" --> "MEAGEPLUS NEWS& OFFERS" tab on UA.com. There is a listing for the STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE promotion.

I'm not sure if they match DM to 1K, but I think they will let you challenge to Platinum. You would have to fly 25k BIS miles within 90 days.

Beware, UA is a mess right now with constant IT issues, delays and cancellations. Delays and cancellations are problems on some routes, not so much on others.

also, note that if you COMPLETE your challenge before July 1st, status is only valid for the rest of the year. If you complete your challenge AFTER July 1st, status is valid for the rest of the year AND the entire next year. (at least that is the way the current T&C reads)
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BigJimmy626
Thanks for the tips. I will contact them for a status match. I figure I don't have much to lose since I am PM on DL until 2014 at this point. I can try UA for a few trips and see if I like them. If not, I'll go back to DL.

Out of curiosity, how do you like AA?? They are an option for me as well.
So far - excellent. Pleasant people and planes on time.

Get thru to the AAngels on the phone in a ring or two, they try to help. Excellent treatment at airport. Recent rt MSY...SJU, all upgrades but one cleared 4 days in advance, w/ last one just a day in advance. Stood by for earlier flights on some legs, managed to do so and keep upgrade.

Am voting w/ my feet - just booked AA EWR-PVG (almost a mr deal @ $650 ai rt for almost 18K eqm). Will make 30K+ by end of Aug, 55K+ by end of year. Only book UA when I have to (e.g., DFW-DUB @ $505 ai, repositioning flight to DFW on AA).

Don't mind connections, rather welcome them in fact, so for me AA works well, tho not so well to Asia.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BigJimmy626
I am a Delta PM. I fly 100k+ per year all Domestic. I have been with Delta for a while and don't have any complaints about the service or the planes. My biggest gripe is my travel pattern is more in-line with what United offers. With Delta I have to connect the majority of the places I go.

I am based out of LAX. I have heard nothing but issues with United. Am I crazy for thinking about switching to United....? United seems to have better fares on most of the smaller markets I visit as well.

Well, as long as you asked...yes, you're crazy.

UA is in meltdown mode, with problems that start at the top with its leadership and that accordingly will not end in a few months. Those problems include but are not limited to a lousy IT/reservations system, frequently delayed and canceled flights (more than any other domestic airline, I believe), and extremely poor handling of irregular operations when maintenance or weather problems crop up. Peruse some of the other threads here to get a flavor of everything that's going wrong. Sure, any airline screws up and has disgruntled customers, but UA is far worse than the pack in both respects.

You'd be much better considering AA, which has an LAX hub and thus might be decently suited to some of your travel needs. If your patterns include West Coast trips, UA is ahead, but you can compensate for this by accruing and redeeming AA miles on AS (which is a good airline and has a good West Coast network), plus get perks such as exit row seats on AS if you have sufficient AA status.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Aug 1, 2012 at 1:04 pm
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Well, as long as you asked...yes, you're crazy.
^
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Agreed - if you like flights that run on time (or even run at all), UA is not the airline for you!

From First to Worst in two short years.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Agreed - if you like flights that run on time (or even run at all), UA is not the airline for you!

From First to Worst in two short years.
I'm expecting the worse... I got the Status Match......
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
Just came to UA as DL DM

Hi guys,

Just had my DL status matched on UA. I had some questions about UA's program.

1) How do you get UA mileage credit when flying on partners such as Singapore Airlines?

2) How do you find award pricing for UA partner airlines?

3) What are the international upgrades like--on Delta you have to pay for very expensive economy fares to be able to upgrade with SWU or miles.

4) How often can you expect to upgraded on UA flights as a 1K member? On DL as a DM I am probably around 90%--I usually only miss JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX flights. Wondering how those routes on UA would be in terms of upgrade chances...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by anotherTCKid
iGracias!

I will have a read through it, but any additional comments/anecdotes are appreciated. To be clear though, my question is specifically targeted to the status challenge process itself
Ua only metal for status challenge.

Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG
Hi guys,

Just had my DL status matched on UA. I had some questions about UA's program.

1) How do you get UA mileage credit when flying on partners such as Singapore Airlines?

2) How do you find award pricing for UA partner airlines?

3) What are the international upgrades like--on Delta you have to pay for very expensive economy fares to be able to upgrade with SWU or miles.

4) How often can you expect to upgraded on UA flights as a 1K member? On DL as a DM I am probably around 90%--I usually only miss JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX flights. Wondering how those routes on UA would be in terms of upgrade chances...
1) make sure you fly the correct fare bucket as not all fare buckets earns miles.

2) you can find them on ua.com award engine

3) I believe for swu you need minimum w fare, with miles you can do it for lower fares but some fares you need to pay money and miles. http://www.united.com/web/en-us/content/mileageplus/awards/upgrade/mua.aspx

4) I did a status challenge for 1k recently. By my count I missed upgrades on about 5 segments out of 28. So about 80%. All of my flights were trans con and 12 segs were bos to sfo. Some misses were due to sdc because my flight was late and I missed my connection. For irrops they aren't as good as dl in my limited exposure to both.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Aug 19, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.