Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thinking of making the switch to United from Delta

Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone...

I am currently a Gold Medallion member with Delta based out of Denver (used to be Platinum but just recently got relegated). Due to me living in a hub (I used to live in the southeast), I have been thinking about switching to United for quite some time. I have a few questions for anybody in the know.

1. Does your Gold 50k mile equivalent really mean anything in the way of upgrades, or has this merger made it difficult if not impossible to ever get upgraded? I'm sure certain routes like SFO-JFK and the like are pretty much not happening for anybody under 100k, but are some of the other shorter-haul routes out of Denver a possibility? United has offered me equal status with them if I fly a certain amount of miles within the first 90 days.

2. Are there any plans to bring wifi on board for United's fleet anytime soon? This is a major advantage for Delta in my opinion.

3. Is the United Explorer Visa card currently the best one out there to accrue United miles, perks, etc?

4. Are you eligible for upgrades on ANY Star Alliance network carrier? For instance, would I be on the list for US Airways?

Thanks in advance for any advice/information!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
1) Not qualified to answer that since the highest I have been is a Premier Silver. As a Premier Silver though i got upgraded from GEG (Spokane, WA) to DEN on an Complimentary Upgrade, and got upgraded from SEA to IAH, but then the aircraft changed and so did my upgrade.

2) Yes, there are plans to bring Wi-Fi aboard
http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...i/default.aspx
"Inflight Internet is being installed on additional aircraft beginning in 2012."

3)I have the Explorer and it has perks which are good if you are a general member like Priority Boarding, which is after elites, Primary Rental Car Coverage, Two UA club passes/yr, Baggage Fee waiver for the first bag You +1 companion, the 40-60K bonus miles depending on which deal you find, and Chase is actually giving 50% more bonus miles for purchases between March and April. Also, i dont know much about it, but you can get Complimentary Premier Upgrades for Award Tickets.

4) No, you are only on the upgrade lists for United, but you can use miles to upgrade on some partner airlines.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Dear OP,

Have you actually read anything in this forum for the past week? This merger is a disaster. Just about every thread on the main UA page is about how something isn't working. Sure, they might fix a few issues, but a large amount of this is simply CO policy that isn't going to change.

I'm not saying that DL is better, but if I was already there, I sure wouldn't be looking to move to United right now!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I would stay away from UA/CO right now. I'm considering a status match to DL before my next trip because of:
-under CO's upgrade system, I have only had 50% go through on CO metal versus 100% on UA (as a 1K). Right now the evidence is that it will be worse.
-regional upgrades are basically non existent now since they moved to 2 on the first 100 BIS versus 2 every 25,000 per quarter.
-MP miles have been significantly devalued the last 2 years plus now lower elite tiers won't earn 100% bonuses.
-The permeation of the ERJ + barbie jet on feeder routes is becoming too much to stomach.
-no real wi-fi, just 'plans'
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:46 pm
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
prestonh- 'ditto' ... I am curious how many 1K/GS folks are actually going to make the move. My boss did it and I think I'm going to make the call next week. Maybe after 10% or so show a dramatic drop-off in miles someone will get a clue?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by BucksAllDayMkay
Hello everyone...

I am currently a Gold Medallion member with Delta based out of Denver (used to be Platinum but just recently got relegated). Due to me living in a hub (I used to live in the southeast), I have been thinking about switching to United for quite some time. I have a few questions for anybody in the know.

1. Does your Gold 50k mile equivalent really mean anything in the way of upgrades, or has this merger made it difficult if not impossible to ever get upgraded? I'm sure certain routes like SFO-JFK and the like are pretty much not happening for anybody under 100k, but are some of the other shorter-haul routes out of Denver a possibility? United has offered me equal status with them if I fly a certain amount of miles within the first 90 days.

4. Are you eligible for upgrades on ANY Star Alliance network carrier? For instance, would I be on the list for US Airways?

Thanks in advance for any advice/information!
1. Gold means nothing to United.
Gold is the 4th tier for upgrade and other people can buy TOD to upgrade
in front of you.
Instead of 100% bonus miles on DL/AA, COdbaUA gold only gets 50% bonus.
DL has more 1st class seat to upgrade for domestic trips.

4. Yes and No.
You can use your miles for Star Alliance upgrade (Y/B) and you won't get
any complimentary upgrade on other carrier unless it's OPUP.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: Continetnal Silver
Come over, you will get a toster!

I am still waiting to see how the merger pans out, but 2011 has been great for me as a gold.

I was able to get upgrades in very busy markets such as EWR-IAH.
I fly transatlantic a lot and find that lounge network, soft product (customer service, food, treatment in general) is much better then on Hellta / Air Chance.

I also fly a lot on NYC-LAX/SFO route but I only take the Premium services flights which dont have free upgrades but you can use Regional upgrades (As Plat).
The feature that I use the most as a gold is a free +-24h (same day) change.

Yes Hellta has more FC seats but FC on RJ is still just a regular seat!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Besides of Delta has more FC seats, Delta also offers REAL MEAL in F on
RJ while UA offers snack box. More importantly, Delta is trying hard to
get ride of CRJ200 or EMB145 while COdbaUA loves using EMB145/CRJ200
on many routes more than 1000 miles. You may consider which route you
fly mostly and what equipment will you get. RJ F is still F and much better
than any RJ Y. To have upgrade opportunity to be upgraded is better than
no chance to be upgraded no matter it's RJ or mainline.

Delta also has better customer relations. When you have any trouble and
you send an e-mail to DL, they usually respond in 2-3 days as DL gold
while 1K voice replies in about 1 week and PMCO customer WE DONT CARE
usually replies in about 20-40 days even you were a platinum.

As Delta Gold, you can access Skyteam lounges as UA G can access *A lounges when travel internationally.

Although skypesos is almost useless on domestic award, you have good chance to redeem on partners for international travel.

If you can't hit platinum on UA, you won't get any RPU.
Think clearly before you move.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
IMHO, if you fly international, UA is much better. If you are mostly domestic, all the carriers and programs are pretty similar.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, MR/RC Plat, KLM Plat, AS MVPG75K, UA Gold
I am doing the opposite as the OP. As a (true) UA Million Miler and 1K for over 12 years I have for the first time purchased a flight on Delta for my upcoming travel. I do not think that no is the time to be switching "to" United. Even Global Services members don't seem to be treated that well at the current time letalone lower level members.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA GM
It depends. If you travel mainly domestic US, I would stick with Delta for the ease of upgrades. For me, after 20 yr a Delta guy, my upgrade success was >80% on domestic flights. I switched my business this year to United because I have a lot of travel to China/Japan. Delta promised more routes, but have cancelled DTW-KIX, and they limited service to PVG. There is also no non-stop service to PEK. But the biggest reason for my switch was the dramatic increase in Delta M-upgradeable fares from about $1700 (in 2009) to over $4,500 (current); and even with the high M-fares, there is no availability! Just this last week, without any status on United, I purchased a $1,029 RT fare DAY-PVG in April with 1 connection through ORD that was upgraded immediately to business for a co-pay of $1,200 and 60k miles..., so $2,229 and 60 k (United) compared to $4,500 and 60k (Delta), with the latter never available!

In terms Int'l service in business class, I also had a bad run of the disgruntled, elderly, Delta FAs, especially the ex-NWA ex-union ones. I'm hoping it won't be as bad on the United long haul flights. Thank God for the service and FAs on the China domestic routes.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
I had been a moderate supporter of UA, but as others said the merger has created big issues for Customers. Reservations are disappearing, upgrades are getting passed over, I've experienced unreasonable delays with horribly inaccurate updates/information and employees are not happy. I would not move from a stable airline to this plane wreck right now. There is a chance they can clean things up, but you don't want to deal with the nightmare if you don't have too.

UA is an absolute mess right now - stay clear.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:14 pm

sorry if i missed this in the other thread, did UA Insider confirm this is not a merger issue?

-regional upgrades are basically non existent now since they moved to 2 on the first 100 BIS versus 2 every 25,000 per quarter.

Originally Posted by prestonh
I would stay away from UA/CO right now. I'm considering a status match to DL before my next trip because of:
-under CO's upgrade system, I have only had 50% go through on CO metal versus 100% on UA (as a 1K). Right now the evidence is that it will be worse.
-MP miles have been significantly devalued the last 2 years plus now lower elite tiers won't earn 100% bonuses.
-The permeation of the ERJ + barbie jet on feeder routes is becoming too much to stomach.
-no real wi-fi, just 'plans'
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by morokcn
sorry if i missed this in the other thread, did UA Insider confirm this is not a merger issue?

I re-read, 2 awarded after 75,000 BIS. but I used to get 2 annually as a MM.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1P MM
I think it would be foolish for you to make the change from Delta to United. You may have seen the ads by United about how their program has been voted the best program for 8 years. Well, that is their old program. Their new program is awful, especially for elite flyers. In fact, as part of their changes, United significantly slashed benefit that had been previously promised for life to their million mile flyers.

When an airline show this little integrity, one should not even expect them to keep commitments going forward, making their program completely useless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.