Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thinking of making the switch to United from Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking of making the switch to United from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I agree with others that you should steer clear of United. You'll get few if any upgrades and the FF program may well continue to deteriorate even below its current low point.

That being said, I guess that being based in DEN you may have more UA flight options than DL, so that's certainly a valid consideration. Still, unless you're very unhappy with DL you should probably stay with the devil you know rather than the one that is undergoing many changes for the worse.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:24 am

What is TOD?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GoSpurs
What is TOD?
Tens of Dollars.

As in the amount of money that $misek will be happy to sell an UG for to a kettle at check-in, even while Premiers are on the UG list.

Been reported numerous times with COdbaUA
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Historically, Gold on UA has been pretty good, and I've enjoyed >50% upgrade rate (even on tough routes like transcons and SYD) and good service. (I'm 1K this year, but normally Gold.) There is little question in my mind this is not going to be as good in the future, since 1) the previous gold flyers have now been split into gold and plat, 2) the concentration of all fliers, and disproportionately higher-tier elites, onto fewer flights and 3) the promotion of YB(M) fare holders above status holders in the queue.

It's hard to get a sense how big of an effect these changes have right now on upgrades at each status tier because the upgrade system isn't working like it should since the system conversion this week, and UA acknowledges this. Because so many other systems aren't working super-smoothly yet, either, we're all anxious and impatient.

I suggest we wait a few weeks for things to shake out, then ask the question again. But that's easy for me to say, since I'm not flying anywhere this month.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
That being said, I guess that being based in DEN you may have more UA flight options than DL, so that's certainly a valid consideration. Still, unless you're very unhappy with DL you should probably stay with the devil you know rather than the one that is undergoing many changes for the worse.
Without much long haul INTL, DEN is going to turn into an RJ hub. I wouldn't be that excited about more flight options if I lived there.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
As a I fellow DEN-based pax, don't forget that WN and F9 are now viable options if you travel mostly domestic.

A week ago, I would never have said such a thing, but after the awful experiences with COdbaUA on Monday and Tuesday of this week, these carriers did enter the discussion. (It's still just a discussion, but if things continue to deteriorate in $misek-land, we'll have to consider our alternatives.)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

I failed to mention that I just picked up South America for a territory, and I will be going down there about three times this year. I noticed SkyTeam is pretty weak for going down to South America, while United is pretty strong (Delta is also extremely expensive from what I have seen). Knowing this, would you guys still recommend I stay away? Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
I just switched from DL to UAL...

I'm a MM on delta and just switched to United in January because I now fly almost exclusively to Asia / SE Asia. I've flown 35k miles on UA in Jan/Feb and have been very satisfied. The biggest benefits for me in choosing UAL over DL are:
1. Upgradeable fares (most w fares to Asia are in the 1.5 to 2k range)
2. *A is much better than skyteam in terms of product and options
3. Award availability is SIGNIFICANTLY better on UA than on DL. I've found saver coach seats on almost every itn I've checked and with a little flexibility have found biz/first seats available.

I was also upgraded on my last flight to Asia (not sure why) as coach was wide open, and that never happened on DL.

I'm a 1k by successfully completing the challenge and am very satisfied with my switch to UAL.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
You be better off stay away from UA even as 1K I am thinking about moving to DL or AA
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by SLC2002
I've flown 35k miles on UA in Jan/Feb and have been very satisfied.
So you flew 35k miles PMUA. Sorry, but this is COdbaUA now. Check back with us after your next flight.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
For the sake of offering a differing opinion, my experience with the merger hasn't been that bad. I was a 1P (Gold-ish) before 3/3, and I'm now a Plat.

I've been cleared right around the 72 hour window on all my flights since the 3/3 merger date. One flight I actually cleared about 84 hours out, and on my remaining flights, it's been a little after 72, but upgraded nonetheless.

The 50% elite bonus is a disappointment, but don't be shocked to see Delta match this next year.

I like the B terminal in Denver. The two lounges are exactly the same, but I've always enjoyed them. While there is a lot of RJ traffic out of DEN, the airport overall is pretty well connected nationwide. And on the other hand, I'm often on 757s and 767 between DEN and LAX. I don't think UA's RJ policy is too different than DL's.

Overall, I still like flying UA, and would recommend coming over ex-DEN. Even if that does make me an outlier.

FWIW, I've only really been flying UA for about 18 months now. Maybe things used to be REALLY good. But this is better than WN any day of the week, and can't be worse than DL if you ask me.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Now is a bad time to be switching, wait at least a few months for the .... to settle.

1. I'm seeing about 30% lately as a 50k Gold. SFO-JFK is not a complimentary upgrade even for the 100k crowd.

2. Sure, in a few years.

4. No. *A upgrades are with miles from full fare only.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BucksAllDayMkay
I failed to mention that I just picked up South America for a territory, and I will be going down there about three times this year. I noticed SkyTeam is pretty weak for going down to South America, while United is pretty strong (Delta is also extremely expensive from what I have seen). Knowing this, would you guys still recommend I stay away? Thanks.
If you live in DEN and your territory is South America, I would look to UA/Star and AA/OW before DL, though the partnerships with GOL and Aerolineas Argentinas count for something.

There are many good reasons why DL is better than UA (but there are many stupid reasons too). Ultimately, if you travel for business, you probably value your comfort and time over certain elite benefits. If that's the case, I'd stick with the carrier that will best match your travel pattern.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
I'm a former delta plat that switched 2 years ago.
If you fly intl, ua is far better for upgrades.
And if south America is in play, the relationship with copa gives you upgrades with regional upgrade instruments to most places in south America...and complementary ugs as well.

My opinion is delta is better for us based ugs, but not even close to us for intl.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm 1K on UA and DM on DL. It really comes down to preferences and what matters to you.

UGs: You'll do better on DL especially since DL has more seats in F than any other domestic airline.

Coach Product: With DL adding EC to compete with E+ UA's advantage is gone here.

Wi-Fi: If it matters then stick with DL.

Award Redemption: UA wins on this one. SM is a very difficult program to use. Also know that UA does charge for close in redemptions unless you are higher elite

Stand By: DL offers complimentary 3-hour SDC for GM. On UA you will pay $75 for the privilege of catching an earlier flight...unless you're a 1K

Alliance: *A wins...hands down. ST is awful.

Customer Service: People may complain about DL but I've found them to be far better than UA.

TATL: DL wins

TPAC: UA wins

Overall Int'l Service: I personally like DL's aircraft better. The business product on DL is really on par with UA's GlobalFirst in terms...especially if you are on a DL aircraft with the business suites (777 and coming to the 747s)

I agree with the comments on the merger. Things are very iffy over here. I use UA primarily for Int'l flights and domestic when I have to. If AA were not up in the air right now I would transition over from UA to AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.