FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of making the switch to United from Delta
Old May 11, 2012, 8:18 am
TWA Fan 1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
UA & DL Trips

This week I flew on both UA and DL and here our my observations:

My UA trip was on UX EWR-YQB, operated by ExpressJet.

I did not have any problems with any part of this trip. I was able to book on the website and while the reservation did not instantly ticket, it did ticket within about 15 minutes.

OLCI was no problem. At OLCI I was able to select a better seat, closer to the front of the plane.

The EWR ground experience was fine. My flight left at 9:15 PM and Terminal C was virtually deserted. I went through security in about 3 minutes (I did notice a longer line, as usual, at "elite" security).

The flight left from C88, the downstairs pit where RJ's still depart at Terminal C.

Although our incoming flight was late, we boarded without incident (the GA was a hair gruff, but OK, this is EWR. We left on time.

When the FA made her welcome announcement she repeatdely mentioned "OnePass." When I told her that it had been renamed "MileagePlus" she reacted with disgust...

Arrived at YQB early.

On the return, went to the airport early for SDC. The UA personnel are contract employees working for Servisair. The ticket agent had a tough time with SDC in SHARES, so she just gave up in disgust and gave me the change at no cost...haaa I love SHARES.

The flight was uneventful, the F/A on this one was an older lady, really friendly. We arrived early at gate C130.

The next morning I took DL JFK-SLC-ONT. Arrived at the profoundly horrendous JFK T3 at 5:30 AM. I was the only person going through security. Went to the Gate 12 SkyClub, had some coffee and a bagel.

The DL flight was great. I had an exit row and worked the entire time on my computer using GoGo WiFi, which worked flawlessly.

The F/A's on DL were wonderful and friendly.

The SLC-ONT flight was on an E-170, very comfortable, arrived early.

This morning, I decided to come home to NY earlier, but DL's SDC policy is less generous than UA's. Still, changing to an earlier flight only cost me $190, $150 change fee + $40 in fare difference, and I got confirmed in exit rows all the way.

I had to call into a DL phone agent to make the change, and she was incredibly friendly and charming, a marked difference from the usual combative or curt PMCO phone agents.

All in all, both airlines were fine. I'd give DL a slight advantage because of friendlier overall service and WiFi. But both airlines got me to my destination on time and in one piece.

One final note: My DL miles posted immediately after my flights, but I'm still waiting for the UA miles to post in my account, given the "new" posting system at UA (which, of course, is the old CO system).