Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Was just denied Lounge Access at IAH with the following combination:

AMS - IAH arriving 2:30 pm Sept 16th
IAH - SFO departing 06:35 am Sept 17th

Computer said no (no INTL on boarding pass). Staff phoned their supervisor and I was told:
Lounge access would only be granted if there was no other IAH - SFO flight earlier last day.

Think, they made up the last part. But looks like they're really defining "same say" as same calendar day more and more.

Last edited by delpiero223; Sep 17, 2018 at 5:34 am
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by delpiero223
But looks like they're really defining "same say" as same calendar day more and more.
They've been nibbling away at the access rules to reduce UC usage (i.e., overcrowding). As a UC member, sounds reasonable to me. If I'd just been denied access, I'd probably feel differently.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IAH - SFO departing 06:35 am Sept 17th...
UA seemed to me to be overly generous on providing access on layovers like this one, which did add to crowding.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

IAH - SFO departing 06:35 am Sept 17th

Computer said no (no INTL on boarding pass). ...
Separate tickets?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Separate tickets?
No. Same ticket on same PNR

Originally Posted by Kacee
They've been nibbling away at the access rules to reduce UC usage (i.e., overcrowding). As a UC member, sounds reasonable to me. If I'd just been denied access, I'd probably feel differently.
Sounds quite reasonable to me as well, as they did never mention the 24h-rule officially.

As a German a UC membership is not really an option because all those credit cards are not available. But then again it's just a United club and I'm not missing much anyway.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 17, 2018 at 10:05 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No. Same ticket on same PNR....
The lack of INTL on the second segment is odd but the second segment was >24 hours after the first departure -- wonder if that was an issue?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a German a UC membership is not really an option because all those credit cards are not available.
The regular United Club membership isn't that much more expensive than the annual fee on the Chase Club Card. It would also grant you access to Lufthansa Business lounges.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The lack of INTL on the second segment is odd but the second segment was >24 hours after the first departure -- wonder if that was an issue?
It's not the >24H that's the issue, it's the overnight transfer. While UA fares work on the ATPCO 24-hour rule, the systems built on top of SHARES to handle reservations and check-in do not. They'll treat an overnight transfer as a stop, requiring a second check-in for the second day. As there wouldn't have been any international segments on that second travel day, UA considered it domestic and so the INTL didn't appear on the boarding pass.

I've definitely had INTL appear on flights where I've had more than 24 hour total transit time. I've also not had INTL appear on an overnight transfer (AUS-SFO / overnight / SFO-XXX, one ticket), and I've had it disappear when reprinting my boarding passes after my international flight (e.g., XXX-SFO-AUS, reprinted SFO-AUS BP, no INTL).
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As a German a UC membership is not really an option because all those credit cards are not available. But then again it's just a United club and I'm not missing much anyway.
I don't currently have the Club card; the annual credit card fee is the same as the discounted 1K membership fee ($450). I wrestle every January over whether the membership is worth it.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
No. Same ticket on same PNR
That was so petty of them...

I have a question, I am flying UA as a foreign ffp *A Gold, and I have a +1 person allowance for the lounge. My partner is flying AA at the same time in the adjacent terminal (5 min walk airside) at the same time. Will I be able to guest her into the UA club, given that she will have an AA boarding pass?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 23, 2018 at 1:56 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Denied access at DEN flying DEN-LAX-SYD in business but on separate tickets, same day. "Same day international??" Not any more, seems limited to international gateway.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by harryhv
Denied access at DEN flying DEN-LAX-SYD in business but on separate tickets, same day. "Same day international??" Not any more, seems limited to international gateway.
That’s because with separate tickets your DEN-LAX ticket was purely domestic F. So domestic rules apply and so no UC access unless you’re a member.

Had you you booked both flights on the same ticket you would have had access. Your DEN-LAX boarding pass would have had “INTL” at the top and that would have given you access.

When i I fly PDX-SFO-Europe/Asia on the same ticket I always get UC access at PDX.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
Will I be able to guest her into the UA club, given that she will have an AA boarding pass?
No. *G guest access requires a *A boarding pass.

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
That’s because with separate tickets your DEN-LAX ticket was purely domestic F. So domestic rules apply and so no UC access unless you’re a member.
OP should have been able to scan an international boarding pass for access at any UC. Being on a through ticket is not (supposed to be) required.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan

OP should have been able to scan an international boarding pass for access at any UC. Being on a through ticket is not (supposed to be) required.
Except in DEN where it seems that there is a UC agent that likes to make rules.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Had you you booked both flights on the same ticket you would have had access. Your DEN-LAX boarding pass would have had “INTL” at the top and that would have given you access.
That is not correct. There is no single ticket requirement. OP was wrongly denied access.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by harryhv
Originally Posted by jsloan

No. *G guest access requires a *A boarding pass.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Except in DEN where it seems that there is a UC agent that likes to make rules.
Originally Posted by Kacee
That is not correct. There is no single ticket requirement. OP was wrongly denied access.
Spot on.

Denver agents have been making their own rules for years now. UA does not seem to care to educate them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.