Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Unless they've closed them in the last year, LH and LX do have lounges at DME. Not great, odd food selection, but better than hanging out in the terminal.
Haven't been - but Swiss.com and Lufthansa.com both say "contract lounge" for Moscow.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Toddcan

UPDATE Edit...
I checked my email and I have a response from the UC customer support. They said that since my HNL flight left at 4pm on Wednesday, and my International Leg to YOW didn't leave until 4:50pm on the Thursday (it was an overnight flight), that this is more than 24 hours later. I would have been admitted to the lounge in HNL if the INTL portion was "the same day" (or within 24 hours). Perhaps this is the reason? Mind you , she did not say anything about that.

Technically, since HNL is 6 hours behind IAD time, the flights left only 19 hours within each other - but I'm not sure how they handle time zones.

Second Update Edit
They were very quick to respond that their "same day - 24 hour" rule does not consider time zones. Now I know
I guess the time zone difference works in your favor going the opposite direction, as it worked against you in this instance?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by Kacee
There's no evidence OP was even aware of that language when he booked his ticket, let alone was in any way deceived by it.

Yes, UA could clarify the language on the website to make clear that a domestic flight labelled as "business" does not give access, but let's not overstate things here.
OP here again... with evidence
I booked this 3-class flight because the second cabin was sold as 'Business' to which I, and 99% of the world would think translates to 'United Business' under the classes of service that are listed. And United Business gets lounge access. So yes, I feel deceived. And I really did *try* to identify the problem to UA so others wouldn't be in the same boat... with no luck... The rep either doesn't understand ordoesn't care. I give up. First time flying UA Business and they didn't deliver on my expectations.

Originally Posted by mozilla
If it really is being marketed and sold as the "United Business®" product, then OP has every right to complain and should not be punished because of UA's oversights, since:

✓ All eligible customers must be traveling on an international itinerary
✓ Customers can access United Club locations throughout their itinerary
✓ Please present a United boarding pass for travel in United Business® within 24 hours
✓ Customers may access United Club locations at connecting airports and their final destination.
Agreed!

Originally Posted by findark
This technically isn't true though. The second cabin of three-cabin aircraft on domestic segments is marketed as "United Business®". This is an oversight on United's part, insofar as it collides with the name of the first cabin of two-cabin aircraft on short-haul international flights. It adds to the confusion that, as you note, the international standard (which the US ignores) is to refer to two-cabin recliner seat service as "business class".
Yes, I agree, and that is the point I tried, and failed to get across. The consumer loses. UA has an error that is misleading customers, fails to correct it, and all the customer can do is choose another carrier next time, which I plan to do. This is likely my first and last time on UA Business.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 12, 2016 at 5:08 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by YYC009
UA has an error that is misleading customers
From your itinerary, it's pretty obvious you took what you could get based upon award availability. No one flies that routing for anyone other reason.

In fact, that's what exactly what you said in the AV forum:

And if you are wondering the obsecure routing, I actually start upline from LAX and this is part of an eight leg oneway itinerary to get to Rio for the Olympics starting on a long weekend here in Canada. It is an Aeroplan rewards ticket redemption and space, needless to say, is very very limited during this peak season. I have been looking for ways to get to Rio for three months and then the LIM-POA flight became available for the first time the other day (the only way I was able to find to get into Brazil - nothing direct to GRU/GIG/BSB/etc.). So I consider myself lucky that I finally found a way to get there
First Time Avianca Business Class.

Your claim now, after the fact, that you were misled into buying a UA ticket based upon some belief that a single 55 minute UA business class segment SFO-LAX would grant you UC access is ludicrous.

And it is any event hardly some injustice to be denied access to the UC.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
From your itinerary, it's pretty obvious you took what you could get based upon award availability. No one flies that routing for anyone other reason.

Your claim now, after the fact, that you were misled into buying a UA ticket based upon some belief that a single 55 minute UA business class segment SFO-LAX would grant you UC access is ludicrous.

Some might consider it as a favor.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:53 am

There were many SFO-LAX flights available. So of course I picked the one that was in Business Class on a widebody instead of narrowbody for all the extra benefits (comfy seat, IFE, and yes, lounge access). The flights to Rio were limited (e.g.: Flights into Brazil), not the domestic USA connections.

Originally Posted by transportprof
Some might consider it as a favor.
I had 5hrs to kill, so was looking forward to the lounge.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 12, 2016 at 5:10 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I had 5hrs to kill, so was looking forward to the lounge.
While the First Class passengers in the cabin in front of you were denied entry because they were in domestic First but you think you get entry because you were in domestic Business?

I would suggest five hours is pretty far above the threshold for coughing up for AMEX Centurion lounge access.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There were many SFO-LAX flights available. So of course I picked the one that was in Business Class on a widebody instead of narrowbody for all the extra benefits (comfy seat, IFE, and yes, lounge access). The flights to Rio were limited (e.g.: Flights into Brazil), not the domestic USA connections.
That's not relevant. None of the flights SFO-LAX would have granted you UC access.

Are you saying you would not have booked the ticket at all if not for your erroneous belief that you were entitled to UC access based on a single domestic segment SFO-LAX?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
That's not relevant. None of the flights SFO-LAX would have granted you UC access.

Are you saying you would not have booked the ticket at all if not for your erroneous belief that you were entitled to UC access based on a single domestic segment SFO-LAX?
This is getting tiresome. Clearly he didn't think that. It was because of the checklist copied earlier with regard to an international itinerary.

Can we all just agree that the language on the United website is a bit unclear and move on?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
This is getting tiresome. Clearly he didn't think that. It was because of the checklist copied earlier with regard to an international itinerary.
Exactly. Its not just that I was flying BUSINESS CLASS, which in itself gets lounge access per the website, but that it was part of an international journey.

Can we all just agree that the language on the United website is a bit unclear and move on?
Yes. I have made every effort for UA/other Flyertalk folks to understand that they website for non-regular UA folks like me is misleading to no avail for some. Also the policy itself is absurd. Name another Star carrier that doesn't give you lounge access when flying business internationally?

And BTW, I didn't actually get lounge access at LAX either as the UA flight from SFO-LAX was delayed and I had to rush for my connection.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
While the First Class passengers in the cabin in front of you were denied entry because they were in domestic First but you think you get entry because you were in domestic Business?
At the time I would have assumed First Class also got lounge access.

It's possible I would have flown SFO-SAL instead of SFO-LAX-SAL, yes, had I known there would be a lounge issue.

Also, by that logic, then I would have had 10hrs in the lounge at SFO instead of 5hrs there and 1hr in LAX. So UA would actually have lost more money had I done that as I could have consumed more in a 10hr lounge visit that the two totaling 6hr visits combined.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 12, 2016 at 5:11 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Agree.

The purpose of this thread is to aid folks in understanding access rules for the UC. This particular issue has been defined, clarified and discussed and re-discussed -- don't see how repeating the same points again will create any value to the community. So unless someone has a truly "new" comment, let's move on.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:51 pm

Lounge access for mixed cabin flight

Hoping someone can answer my question. I booked business class seat CDG-ORD-DTW. I have an almost 3 hour layover at ORD and the ORD-DTW leg is economy. Will I be allowed to use the lounge after my business class flight? It was a saver award ticket if that makes a difference.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If the ORD-CDG is UA operated, yes.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If the ORD-CDG is UA operated, yes.
Yes it is a UA operated flight.. Thanks for the quick response.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:43 am

Flying in Y LHR-EWR myself (1k) wife and 2 year old daughter both no status.
We had 15 mins to visit the lounge and I was pretty excited to show my wife one of the best sides of UA. We weren't allowed to enter because I had 2 guests. I explained to the club agent that my daughter wouldn't be consuming anything, my wife doesn't drink alcohol but it didn't make any difference. Was the gate agent correct?

I did email UA later and in their response they seemed to state that my entire party should have been allowed access - as a gesture they have emailed me 2 club passes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.