Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by EWR764

I had this garbage on UA406 DEN-LGA, a 4:30pm departure and 10:00pm arrival. Listed as a dinner flight and certainly falls over meal hours. First, the positives:

- The mixed nuts were warm and heavy on the cashews
- The white chocolate cranberry cookie was delicious

Now, the bad:

- I was seated in 2A but the f/a took it upon himself to modify the service to do orders back-to-front, meaning I had no choice
- No soup
- No salad
- Shot-glass fruit cup (which is strange for dinner anyway)
- Awful presentation of the wrap (itself not horrible), nothing else on the plate
- Tiny linen on a gigantic, old, unstable tray

Seriously, what a piss-poor afterthought of a service this is. Just about all the pax in the cabin were paying to be there (only 3 names showed as upgraded) and this is all UA can manage? The presentation sucks, the quality of the food sucks, the execution of the service by the flight attendant sucked, and the general consensus was that the meal more resembled a high school cafeteria lunch than a 1600-mile first class dinner.

What an embarassment. Come on UA, you can do better. (I hope...)
Had this on an IAH-SFO lunch this month. That made more sense....and it included Soup.

Really United...offering less than lunch on a dinner flight?!? Even Delta has this handily beat.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
First Class has turned in First Classless! I've had no pre-D beverage service on over half my flights in the past month, and it seems they've gone back to pushing water & juice when they do offer it.

The snack flights (which I am usually on) only serve chicken pasta. It's as though Jeff said "let them eat chicken pasta! At least PMUA used offer a choice; usually a pasta or a sandwich. They've definitely taken a step backwards!

Coming home the other night they ran out of red wine on a 320 and were serving the little bottles. Then on my next flight which was a 'dinner' flight (DEN-LAX), they actually served the warm nuts in paper cups instead of the old ceramic ramekins! There was soup with the meal, and the spoon was a cross between a baby spoon and regular teaspoon in size. I guess Jeff is saving about $5 per flight in jet fuel through the reduction in weight with these measures. They offered the chicken wrap (pictured in a post above) or a salad with chicken. I had had the wrap before, so I chose the salad. Very mediocre.

I've been a 1K for the past 14 years and with what I've seen thus far, I've lowered my expectations.......which at this point, they are exceeding!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Gold
Has anyone been in First on the IAH-HNL nonstop this month post-reservations/website integration? I just booked the PMCO 777 nonstop in First in about a week and am curious to see how/what the meal service is compared to my last such flight a few years ago on a PMCO 767-400.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week IAD-LAX F on 3-class 777:

Nuts
Appetizer: 2 shrimp
Salad
Choice of Beef with Asian noodles and steamed broccoli or veg lasagne
Ice Cream Sundae

Nuts were almonds, almonds
Appetizer: tiny
Salad: subpar
Beef: actually tasty chunk with Asian (Korean BBQ?) marinade. Also liked the evenly cooked noodles ^
Sundae: from the cart with, ice cream too soft, but nice 6 item selection of nuts, marinated cherries, strawberries, chocolate fudge, caramel and whipped cream! ^

Enjoyed the ride on the new F-suite, though! ^
Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat
Am seriously tired of Chicken Pasta Salad in FC.

Does anyone know if they plan to switch "the" snack on a monthly/quarterly/never basis? I fly twice a week and it's getting depressing. Even if it were tasty - which it isn't - I'd be tired of it by now.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I'm with you. While I don't think that it tastes bed, and is certainly better than the old CO deli plate served on snack flights, I miss the PMUA choice of sandwich or salad. UA, we deserve better than this.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
I'm with you. While I don't think that it tastes bed, and is certainly better than the old CO deli plate served on snack flights, I miss the PMUA choice of sandwich or salad. UA, we deserve better than this.
The mid-afternoon "snack" flights mostly seemed to switch back to "lunch" flights on united.com...can anyone confirm if it's a website coding glitch or did they really back track on this one?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
no meal service in F for UA300

Flying on UA300 (ORD to HNL) in F tomorrow, and when I checked in a few minutes ago I notice it says Meal:none. Is this true? That is a pretty long flight for no meal service... Especially in F
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Head
Flying on UA300 (ORD to HNL) in F tomorrow, and when I checked in a few minutes ago I notice it says Meal:none. Is this true? That is a pretty long flight for no meal service... Especially in F
UA website has been showing "meal:none" since 3/3 for many routes that i have flown countless times, 5-6 hrs long, and I know that they have food service in F. I think it's a glitch. Try looking at the E flights for the same itin; I bet that they say "food for purchase". If so, F should have a meal.

However, domestic food service has really gone down in 2012 IMO and you may not like it anyway. I say bring power bars or since you're leaving from ORD, visit Garrett's or Nuts on Clark first and get a few pounds of cheese popcorn LOL.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:39 pm

Flying BOS-IAH in 8 seat F today. By the time the FA got to me with a meal choice the only thing left was beef which I cant eat. I asked for a snack box from Y (standard procedure PMUA) She brought one and proceded to try to charge me for it. Is this a change I missed? Being slightly pissed, I replied I starve before I'd pay for a snack Box in F. Even now I'm almost speechless about this.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Brattflyer
Flying BOS-IAH in 8 seat F today. By the time the FA got to me with a meal choice the only thing left was beef which I cant eat. I asked for a snack box from Y (standard procedure PMUA) She brought one and proceded to try to charge me for it. Is this a change I missed? Being slightly pissed, I replied I starve before I'd pay for a snack Box in F. Even now I'm almost speechless about this.
This was both standard PMUA and PMCO policy. While many UA FA's would comp the box if a meal was rejected, I've seen a few still charge for meals. All of my flights on PMCO before 2/1 when meal alignment took place, charged for boxes.

I know UA removed the comp option on the BOB machines a little over a year ago.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Here on Oahu enjoying the evening... Flight 300 went well, and the meal service in F was actually pretty good. After takeoff we had the choice of a pasta dish or a chicken dish. We both took the pasta, and it was some form of Ravioli that we both liked (with veggies). Prior to landing, we had some sort of chicken wrap / hot sandwich / sub thing. Not sure what it was but it tasted pretty good too.

Still can't believe it was food for purchase only back in Y... That is a long flight to not be offered something free!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The mid-afternoon "snack" flights mostly seemed to switch back to "lunch" flights on united.com...can anyone confirm if it's a website coding glitch or did they really back track on this one?
My SFO-DEN last week (148p departure) was coded as Lunch but in reality was Snack (which the purser said matched his paperwork).
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
In the future you can tell the FC FA during boarding about your dietary needs they usually accomendate people if know ahead of time. However I hear your frustration....

Originally Posted by Brattflyer
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
In the future you can tell the FC FA during boarding about your dietary needs they usually accomendate people if know ahead of time. However I hear your frustration....
I've noticed that on the CO flights, the FAs don't even take meal orders via the manifest. They just have a pad of sheets in the galley somewhere that have the first class seat map diagram, and proceed to just write down what each person wants. I tend to prefer sitting in the last row of FC so I can recline without disturbing someone, but have noticed on the last 6 pmCO flights that I always get shafted on my meal choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.